NHL Season Officially Suspended - COVID-19

WildCard

2 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I see zero chance of the season being played. In fact i am not even sure about October.

Also the economic pain will be felt so severe and so vast, can these teams even survive when they return?

I can see the salary cap being chopped again, everything rolled back. It will be about survival.

Can businesses really afford to buy suites, and expensive tickets considering what is about to happen?

I don't see it.

Sports as we all know it is about to change in a very profound way, among everything else.

I am pretty sure the regular season is done.

I don't see a playoffs taking place unless all games are played in empty arenas.  All ticket revenue would be lost and that actually means something to the NHL, so I don't know if they would want to do that or not.

The current atmosphere which saw the season be postponed is only going to be much worse in say, another month.

So I will be curious to see how things play out.

I would love to see a Mickey Mouse playoff structure implemented that involves EVERY team in the league! 

At least Buffalo would then play a meaningful hockey game!  Might not be more than 1 depending on the system created, but what the hell!  A single game elimination death match would be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

18 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Thoughts?

I hadn't seen this before my above post.

This is exactly the sort of system I was contemplating!  Get all the teams involved and give the good teams benefits not enjoyed by bad teams.

And a single game elimination between Buffalo and Montreal would be fantastic! 

That's a proper opponent for the Sabres and it would feel like the old days.

Anything can happen in a single hockey game too.  

And if Jack truly does have some type of nagging injury, maybe it would be healed by the time that game would be played.

And Ullmark is back now, which gives us a fighting shot. 

i was supposed to come up to buffalo this week for this coming weekends games. unfortunately its not happening because of this virus. 

fortunately the hotel said they would refund the money, but the game tickets are not refundable unless the games are canceled. its a lot of money i will lose on these tickets.  i suppose i will try to sell them once/if the season is restored. 

i am mostly disappointed because this was going to be my first vacation in 6 years.  

i hate to say it, financially, i hope the season is ended/cancelled so i can get a refund. its a lot of money i am going to lose

Edited by miles

5 hours ago, miles said:

i was supposed to come up to buffalo this week for this coming weekends games. unfortunately its not happening because of this virus. 

fortunately the hotel said they would refund the money, but the game tickets are not refundable unless the games are canceled. its a lot of money i will lose on these tickets.  i suppose i will try to sell them once/if the season is restored. 

i am mostly disappointed because this was going to be my first vacation in 6 years.  

i hate to say it, financially, i hope the season is ended/cancelled so i can get a refund. its a lot of money i am going to lose

Hang in there.  I think you have a great shot at getting a refund on the game tickets.

I can't imagine the regular season taking place with fans allowed in the buildings.

This whole thing is just going to keep getting worse all the time for months to come.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

When are they just going to cancel the season?  Bettman has to follow the lead of the NBA.  God forbid he grow some balls and just make the decision first.

As of right this moment, today. There isn’t a NEED to cancel the season.

IF IF IF this rise in cases goes more than 6 weeks, I can see the NBA and NHL canceling the season. If there is a plateau or decline in the next month, I can see them not canceling and just altering and adjusting and having a shortened season and playoffs.

Everyone can have their opinion on the pros and cons, but Thats what I predict... 

The season was done before this guy tested positive but no way do they finish the season when RFA's and UFA's contracts expire June 30.

Going to be a nightmare for the trades that hinged on making the playoffs or not.

The Jets were finally healthy (minus Little) and added DeMelo and Eakin and were playing well. Oh well, bigger things on people's minds these days.

How do you figure out the draft order??? ppg x 82???

On 3/17/2020 at 6:23 PM, Zamboni said:

As of right this moment, today. There isn’t a NEED to cancel the season.

IF IF IF this rise in cases goes more than 6 weeks, I can see the NBA and NHL canceling the season. If there is a plateau or decline in the next month, I can see them not canceling and just altering and adjusting and having a shortened season and playoffs.

Everyone can have their opinion on the pros and cons, but Thats what I predict... 

No way in the world this plateaus or declines in 6 weeks.  

Things will be increasing in July.

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

No way in the world this plateaus or declines in 6 weeks.  

Things will be increasing in July.

I doubt that 4 months from now cases will be increasing.  Who knows for sure, but doesn’t seem likely based on how things have been playing out in other areas.

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

I doubt that 4 months from now cases will be increasing.  Who knows for sure, but doesn’t seem likely based on how things have been playing out in other areas.

If your community responds well and early, then I expect some level of normalcy by then based on what we’ve seen. But it’s a new situation and it’s impossible to know how early and how well we’ve responded.

Edited by dudacek

Eight weeks from now is late May and the RFA's and UFA's contracts expire June 30...the season is over.

I have read that they expect it to peak sometime in June not return to normal.

Edited by Ducky

7 hours ago, Ducky said:

Eight weeks from now is late May and the RFA's and UFA's contracts expire June 30...the season is over.

I have read that they expect it to peak sometime in June not return to normal.

If the season is pushed past June 30th, is there a clause in the contracts that allows them to also be pushed. Does the NHL have some legal wiggle room here? 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

based on what? 6-8 weeks seems accurate unless they make a mess of it like Italy did. 

Canada and America being as spread out and policy-disparate as they are, I suspect we will have pockets of Italy and pockets of much better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

If the season is pushed past June 30th, is there a clause in the contracts that allows them to also be pushed. Does the NHL have some legal wiggle room here? 

There's going to have to be some negotiations between the league and the PA over this.  The whole thing is uncharted territory for them.  I suppose there's potential for some ugliness with any of the leagues, but I'd imagine both sides will want to do whatever they can to get things back up and running once that time comes.  Any type of fight after all of this ends would be the ultimate in bad PR.

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Did everyone see this article?  Has some interesting ideas about how to finish the season or avoid losing games.

It strikes me as pure fantasy.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/whats-next-for-the-nhl

I honestly don't know how anyone is interested in how to finish the hockey season. Must be nice to be so free of worry. (Not you, Krupp, the author.)

Edited by PASabreFan

21 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I honestly don't know how anyone is interested in how to finish the hockey season. Must be nice to be so free of worry. (Not you, Krupp, the author.)

What else can sports writers do right now? They’re in 100% fantasy land right now, as Krupp put it

On 3/20/2020 at 5:00 PM, PASabreFan said:

Pretty sure anybody who's livelihood is tied to the NHL would like to see the season completed.

Mine isn't, but would still like to see them be able to complete it.  For 1 thing, would mean we see the worst of this in the next couple/ few weeks.