NHL Season Officially Suspended - COVID-19

WildCard

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

But health care workers need the masks. It's sort of a mixed message. The best explanation I've heard so far is proximity — the mask doesn't help the general public who aren't in close, intimate contact with strangers (usually) as much as it helps HCW's who are literally getting coughed on.

It's a completely different story for someone with compromised immune system.

6 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Could it be possible if this thing blows up for 2-3 months that there will be no 2020 Cup?

I don’t think it will blow up to THAT degree. 
But if it did in your hypothetical ... then yes, no 2020 Stanley cup winner is possible. OR award it to a team with the most points or something. 

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't see your point.

The recommendation on how the general public should use masks does not apply to everyone.  Those with impaired immune function, in this case people who have recently recovered from cancer treatment, are not the general public.  They do need to protect themselves more than the average person.

Just now, shrader said:

The recommendation on how the general public should use masks does not apply to everyone.  Those with impaired immune function, in this case people who have recently recovered from cancer treatment, are not the general public.  They do need to protect themselves more than the average person.

More than anything I am asking for clarification—I believe I read that those with a compromised immune system do not benefit from wearing masks and that masks only help anything if you are infected. Can anyone confirm or deny?

21 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Could it be possible if this thing blows up for 2-3 months that there will be no 2020 Cup?

Entirely possible.  No one knows, that's the point.  And it will hard to know when it's "over" until it's truly over.  Everyone is displaying the bell curve charts that show why we need to slow the spread of infection, but it will likely be something like that with some bumps in the tail, that as things loosen up after the initial scare, there will be some increases in the number of cases. 

The other thing will be whether this kind of dies out in the warm weather and returns with the fall, possibly in mutated form, like the flu and common cold.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, #freejame said:

More than anything I am asking for clarification—I believe I read that those with a compromised immune system do not benefit from wearing masks and that masks only help anything if you are infected. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Surgical masks are used for several different purposes, including the following:

Placed on sick people to limit the spread of infectious respiratory secretions to others.

Worn by healthcare providers to prevent accidental contamination of patients' wounds by the organisms normally present in mucus and saliva.

Worn by workers to protect themselves from splashes or sprays of blood or bodily fluids; they may also keep contaminated fingers/hands away from the mouth and nose.

Surgical masks are not designed or certified to prevent the inhalation of small airborne contaminants. These particles are not visible to the naked eye but may still be capable of causing infection. Surgical masks are not designed to seal tightly against the user's face. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I have some stuff posted in an old virus thread that was locked but if you search N95 you will be able to see it. I’m not going through it all again but the bare minimum to protect yourself from airborne contaminates is with a N95 type respirator with your face properly shaved to maintain a proper seal. You’re seeing people on tv with PAPR and SAR(powered air purifying and supplied air respirators). Those create positive air pressure inside the mask so if the seal is breeched then contaminates aren’t getting in. That is the highest level of mask protection. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

That mask you're wearing doesn't do anything to prevent you from getting this.

Masks are made to prevent the wearer from passing things on to others, not the other way around.

Regardless, this virus is like influenza.  It spreads simply through breathing.

Rather than wearing that mask, a better course of action (if possible) would be to not go into the store with lots of other people.

We all do have to eat however! 

Masks help droplet precautions if within 6 feet of people... wear them all the time in icu when taking xrays

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I have some stuff posted in an old virus thread that was locked but if you search N95 you will be able to see it. I’m not going through it all again but the bare minimum to protect yourself from airborne contaminates is with a N95 type respirator with your face properly shaved to maintain a proper seal. 

This.  There is a chance at my job location of coming in contact with airborne pathogens.  We have N95 masks available everywhere and we're fitted for size. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Except it was called "The Roaring 20's" because there was so much prosperity.  1929 the economy begin to collapse and it was the 30's when all that happened.

Maybe for you guys, Europe was still rebuilding from the WWI devestation.

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

this goes on for at least another 6 weeks

• Like (+1) 1

There is precedent for cancelling the playoffs even after they have begun: during the 1918 Stanley Cup Finals was stopped after Montreal Canadiens defenceman "Bad" Joe Hall died from the flu.  The series was tied 2-2-1.

5 hours ago, Weave said:

I didn’t think the Pope had that kind of influence anymore

He $#!+$ in the woods, doesn't he?  ?

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Great excuse to have long marathon sex sessions...

As a software engineer, I sadly can't get excited about being told to stay home either because they would just tell me to login through the VPN and work remotely...

Already there.

If the season does wind up shortened by any amount, are us center ice subscribers entitled to a refund of some sort? Personally I think this whole thing falls under the Forest Gump “it happens” label and we’re SOL, but I wonder if they’ll do anything. 

8 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Except it was called "The Roaring 20's" because there was so much prosperity.  1929 the economy begin to collapse and it was the 30's when all that happened.

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Maybe for you guys, Europe was still rebuilding from the WWI devestation.

this goes on for at least another 6 weeks

Yep, hyperinflation in 1921-1923 in Germany caused all kinds of instability through Europe.