COVID-19

Indabuff

1 hour ago, StuckinFL said:

I'm a hairstylist in FL. My salon hasn't opened up yet, but it probably will in the next 2 weeks. I have never been more afraid than when I go back to work. Even with both client and stylist wearing masks it's incredibly dangerous to be within 6 ft of someone, especially for a prolonged period of time. You know it's bad when nurses are telling you that they're praying for you. 

What makes me doubly afraid is the fact that the hotels here are almost filled with 100% compacity too. 

Best I can advise is get a face shield or goggles, spray chairs after each client with a disinfectant. Spray shoes and leave at salon.  Of course masks and surgical gloves change after each client. And have masks for them if they do not have any.  Put your clothes in a bag at end of the day and have a change of clothes to go home with.  Thoughts and prayers

2 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

I'm a hairstylist in FL. My salon hasn't opened up yet, but it probably will in the next 2 weeks. I have never been more afraid than when I go back to work. Even with both client and stylist wearing masks it's incredibly dangerous to be within 6 ft of someone, especially for a prolonged period of time. You know it's bad when nurses are telling you that they're praying for you. 

What makes me doubly afraid is the fact that the hotels here are almost filled with 100% compacity too. 

Neo and I will be in for a little off the, uh, back. It'll be realllll quick.

Seriously, has your salon thought about a "no-talk policy" during a session? It might reduce the risk only a bit, but every bit helps.

Edited by PASabreFan

2 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

First off, good on you for opening up. A lot of people are scared like you are but courage is following through despite the fear. 

Second, if you and your clients use common sense protection I'm sure you’ll be fine.

You doing this is one step toward the country coming back.

29 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

First off, good on you for opening up. A lot of people are scared like you are but courage is following through despite the fear. 

Second, if you and your clients use common sense protection I'm sure you’ll be fine.

You doing this is one step toward the country coming back.

I don't think you read between the lines very well.

28 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I read someone is opening their business. Is that not the case?

I don't think Stuck owns the salon; I think Stuck would rather not go back to work just yet.

There's only one person who can answer these questions.

@shrader

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

I'm a hairstylist in FL. My salon hasn't opened up yet, but it probably will in the next 2 weeks. I have never been more afraid than when I go back to work. Even with both client and stylist wearing masks it's incredibly dangerous to be within 6 ft of someone, especially for a prolonged period of time.

Unlike most men my age, I still have a full head of hair. Unfortunately, it’s also as thick as a lion’s mane. Having said that, the salons are still closed in Virginia. I have no idea when they’re going to open back up, but I’m going to have to do something soon before I start looking like Giorgio Tsoukalos with UFOs flying around my head.

7 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Unlike most men my age, I still have a full head of hair. Unfortunately, it’s also as thick as a lion’s mane. Having said that, the salons are still closed in Virginia. I have no idea when they’re going to open back up, but I’m going to have to do something soon before I start looking like Giorgio Tsoukalos with UFOs flying around my head.

You know what’s funny? I read this and thought you said you are a dude who goes to a salon. ?

Moncef Slaoui, chief advisor to the "Warp Speed" vaccine effort, said today at the White House, "These (clinical trial) data made me feel even more confident that we will be able to deliver a few hundred million doses of vaccine by the end of 2020."

Edited by PASabreFan

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Moncef Slaoui, chief advisor to the "Warp Speed" vaccine effort, said today at the White House, "These (clinical trial) data made me feel even more confident that we will be able to deliver a few hundred million doses of vaccine by the end of 2020."

They're going to end up giving us all cancer or something and the anti-vaxxers are going to become a new religion. 

• Like (+1) 1

Of course the good feeling lasted about 10 seconds. The key word seems to be "deliver." This apparently doesn't mean that people are going to be getting injected with the vaccine by the end of the year. I'd say more, but I'm already violating nfreeman's rules by merely discussing the government's response to the pandemic.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2020 at 1:15 PM, nfreeman said:

Well, of the 2 posts you responded to, one was unquestionably a domestic political post and the other was an international political post.  Your response looked like a combination of the two.

This thread is better suited for discussion of the virus, its impact on the people here, etc.  Discussion of the government's response (federal or state) to the virus should stay in the politics club.

So, we can discuss the biology of the virus and how it effects us personally, but not what should be done about it?

I don’t think that public health policies/strategies are inherently political in nature.  There is of course a point at which a discussion on these can become political, as is the case with any topic.

So, I think you are kind of off base here.  This is just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

So, we can discuss the biology of the virus and how it effects us personally, but not what should be done about it?

I don’t think that public health policies/strategies are inherently political in nature.  There is of course a point at which a discussion on these can become political, as is the case with any topic.

I think nfreeman is struggling to express the letter of the rule. The spirit of the rule is a good one... It shouldn't be this complicated.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Just a suggestion......maybe you (and others) could make a post here  and in the political thread when you feel the need to discuss further. Your post here could reference the political post, something like.......

Curt: This covid thingie yada yada my neighbor yada yada admitted yada yada symptoms etc.  (please see my post in politics thread --date/time).

Just a suggestion.

https://apple.news/AoC0awHb7RtSwrWJnVtbV0w

In an alarming development, five sailors aboard the Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier in Guam have retested positive for COVID-19 after quarantining for the disease, and have been removed from the embattled warship a second time, the Navy announced Friday.

“This is not behaving like any infectious disease I have heard of if these tests are accurate,” said John Swartzberg, a UC Berkeley infectious disease expert. “None of this makes sense.”

All five sailors had previously tested positive and were evacuated off the ship, which has been stuck in Guam since late March after the virus swept through the close quarters of the nuclear-powered carrier. They spent at least 14 days in quarantine on the island; the healthy sailors isolated in individual hotel rooms and the infected sailors together in group quarantine on the naval base. The sailors were allowed back on the Roosevelt only after testing negative twice, the tests administered at least 48 hours apart.

Swartzberg said the development was baffling. It meant these sailors had the virus smoldering for a longer time than expected, meaning incubation periods could be longer than two weeks. Or more likely, he said, there were false test results among the several tests given the five sailors.

“It’s very possible COVID has some more surprises for us,” he said.