COVID-19

Indabuff

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Get ready for Covid-20.

It's 10000% going to happen again. Covid-19 isn't in the first time this happened. They were told it would, and to shut down the markets, and they immediately reopened them and blamed someone else, all while completely lying about their numbers. The same exact cause, lying, and response from China for SARS happened again here, and will continue to happen. Imagine if COVID-19 had a 30% morality rate?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

So I went from a very dead place yesterday to an overbooked receiver this morning. I was at the Walmart DC in Pottsville, PA. I had to wait 3 hours before I could get a dock to get unloaded.

In the words of Dick Vitale, "Detention pay, baby!"

I’ve not seen people using what I think is the most apt analogy for failure to self-distance: drunk driving.

You’re probably not going to die getting behind the wheel after having a few, but you’ve upped the odds and put a hell of a lot more people than yourself at risk.

It’s easy to delude yourself about the danger. And the odds of tragedy escalate the more often you do it.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve not seen people using what I think is the most apt analogy for failure to self-distance: drunk driving.

You’re probably not going to die getting behind the wheel after having a few, but you’ve upped the odds and put a hell of a lot more people than yourself at risk.

It’s easy to delude yourself about the danger. And the odds of tragedy escalate the more often you do it.

Very apt.

It'll be very interesting when all is said and done to find out how it transmitted so readily. The mail, takeout food and walking outside? Of course! How could we have been so stupid.

Half-kidding. I just have a feeling the biggest fear shouldn't be someone coughing or sneezing on you. I'm not sure I've ever been coughed or sneezed on. What we should be afraid of exactly, I don't know. Which makes it that much scarier.

For example, if asymptomatic transmission is a big factor, how are these people spreading it with no coughing, sneezing, runny nose etc.?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

For @Brawndo, @Wyldnwoody44 and anyone else interested:  the WSJ has an article up about daily emails sent by Dr. Craig Smith, head of surgery at Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital in NYC, summarizing the day's events and generally providing context and some inspiration:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-emails-columbia-craig-smith-11585711804?mod=hp_featst_pos2&mod=article_inline

The emails are available on twitter at:  https://twitter.com/ColumbiaSurgery

Here's his email from last night:

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaSurgery/status/1245086295799586818/photo/1

Please keep comments about Craig Smith to the free agent threads, thank you.

Ok, seriously:  I wish that certain media sites would lift their paywall restrictions for COVID coverage.  The Buffalo News doesn't get much right, but it got that right. I'm pretty sure that WSJ can afford to make that article available.  A similarly restricted Washington Post article today suggests that Buffalo is about to get hit HARD.  The entire article is about Buffalo, but we can't read it.  (It is copy/pasted on reddit for anyone who wants to look.)

Meanwhile, ABC reports that 1400 NYPD have tested positive, which reflects Dr. Smith's comment that 15% of NYC first responders are hit.  I read somewhere--don't remember where; it was two days ago--that NYC is peaking and I hope that's right.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

For example, if asymptomatic transmission is a big factor, how are these people spreading it with no coughing, sneezing, runny nose etc.?

"Let Me Clear My Throat" would indicate one example.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

It's 10000% going to happen again. Covid-19 isn't in the first time this happened. They were told it would, and to shut down the markets, and they immediately reopened them and blamed someone else, all while completely lying about their numbers. The same exact cause, lying, and response from China for SARS happened again here, and will continue to happen. Imagine if COVID-19 had a 30% morality rate?

I wonder if those markets are so ingrained in the culture that even in a closed, authoritarian society they cannot really be shut down without significant social issues locally.

And I wonder if even China has the enforcement resources to try.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

I wonder if those markets are so ingrained in the culture that even in a closed, authoritarian society they cannot really be shut down without significant social issues locally.

And I wonder if even China has the enforcement resources to try.

They definitely have the enforcement resources. Hong Kong made that pretty clear

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ok, seriously:  I wish that certain media sites would lift their paywall restrictions for COVID coverage.  The Buffalo News doesn't get much right, but it got that right. I'm pretty sure that WSJ can afford to make that article available.  A similarly restricted Washington Post article today suggests that Buffalo is about to get hit HARD.  The entire article is about Buffalo, but we can't read it.  (It is copy/pasted on reddit for anyone who wants to look.)

Meanwhile, ABC reports that 1400 NYPD have tested positive, which reflects Dr. Smith's comment that 15% of NYC first responders are hit.  I read somewhere--don't remember where; it was two days ago--that NYC is peaking and I hope that's right.

Could you PM a link to reddit article? 

48 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That doesn’t seem right. The Washington Post has explicitly stated that their COVID-19 news articles are free, but their opinion articles or not (regardless of topic). Likewise, the New York Times has also made their COVIS-19 articles free.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

That doesn’t seem right. The Washington Post has explicitly stated that their COVID-19 news articles are free, but their opinion articles or not (regardless of topic). Likewise, the New York Times has also made their COVIS-19 articles free.

Well, this particular WaPo article is definitely behind a paywall for me. In fact, the redirect is so fast that I can't even link to the actual webpage! 

Edited by Eleven

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Should be towards the top of reddit.com/r/buffalo....wait, here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Buffalo/comments/fsq12c/buffalo_braces_to_become_a_coronavirus/

My wife went back to work today.  Her office is now fully open.  Given her industry, and the number of people she has to interact with on a daily basis, we are very concerned about her getting exposed.

Just now, Weave said:

My wife went back to work today.  Her office is now fully open.  Given her industry, and the number of people she has to interact with on a daily basis, we are very concerned about her getting exposed.

I'm headed to a surgical supply store in a few minutes; not sure what they'll have left, but I want some latex gloves.  Can I pick up anything for you?

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

I'm headed to a surgical supply store in a few minutes; not sure what they'll have left, but I want some latex gloves.  Can I pick up anything for you?

Are you sure you do not have a box in your red room?

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

How is that justified?

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Well, this particular WaPo article is definitely behind a paywall for me. In fact, the redirect is so fast that I can't even link to the actual webpage! 

I know for a fact I read it last week. I got logged out and I got blocked from an opinion article, but the banner said exactly what I stated.

Maybe I’ve got tagged incorrectly? I could also log out and test for myself.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

How is that justified?

I'd rather not mention her line of work publicly, but we were both pleasantly surprised when her office was closed down last week.  We both knew it couldn't last because her work can easily be justified as essential.  The problem is, essential parts of her day to day involve dealing with the clients she serves.  I'm sure they were waiting in line for her office to open this morning.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

How is that justified?

I know for a fact I read it last week. I got logged out and I got blocked from an opinion article, but the banner said exactly what I stated.

Maybe I’ve got tagged incorrectly? I could also log out and test for myself.

The head honcho of SS gets blocked from an opinion piece on WaPo? Something's not adding up here.

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't get it...

Old 50 Shades of grey joke. 

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So I logged out. Stories written by their reporters are free. Those re-printed from the AP are blocked.

Ii appreciate reading this thread, honestly I know that the world is losing it, and we, by no means, have the answers. With that being said, I have conversed with many here, met many and we all sort of "get" each other to a certain point. 

This Covid thing came out of the blue for all intents and purposes, and it's weighed on me more than I would like it to. When I say this, I don't mean the actual virus itself, but the reaction in the world to it. The hoarding, greed, lack of thinking and foresight, the selfishness, finger pointing, racism, social media attention seeking, etc. 

I can handle the medical side of it, that's what I was born and trained to do, it's why I put myself into the 3rd world without a second though, and conversing with my 2md family and kiddos from Uganda today, it made my heart very heavy. Were sitting here in the 1st world acting like asshats and they are in just as much trouble there with almost zero chance to fight back and I can't get down there to help. 

I go to the hospital run by business people, ill prepared, and people are still showing up entitled and ignoring guidelines. Meanwhile my heart breaks for a culture that does whatever it can to survive. 

Sure, it's nice all these gestures around NYC and etc, but the negatives I've witnessed from this pandemic have far outweighed the good. 

I've been trying to avoid most media, social media, news, etc but it's literally impossible, especially since I work in this field. This last couple of weeks has been tough on everyone, apologies for the venting, but I feel this is a place that I can and others may understand a bit. 

I'm close to the edge of resigning and starting a new career, financially it may not work, but it's more on the forefront of my mind than ever before and Covid has really pushed that lingering thought to the foreground. I'm just tired. 

• Thanks (+1) 2