COVID-19

Indabuff

So, it would benefit hospital systems… To link any hospitalization to Covid, as long as the person was positive for Covid. So even if the hospitalization had nothing to do with Covid, if they were positive for it, then it was considered a Covid hospitalization. would that be accurate? I can picture Health systems totally doing that. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay that makes sense. But then they would just be reporting number of infections more accurately in order to get that extra money. 

I would guess the number of asymptomatic COVID patients getting treated and being labeled as COVID is low though. 

It’s only for hospitalized patients 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Did you just wake up? Your hair needs to be combed, your shirt is wrinkled and your mask needs to be washed. Are you aware that your left arm lacks muscle. 🤡

Thanks, working overnite day double forgot comb... hat head, wear three layers because hospital is notoriously cold at night and havent worked out since last March... shoulder size went to my belly... plus at 56 it is what it is and post chemo last year my hair came back curly still figuring it out... no idea on mask stain 

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Hospital Systems received more funding for the based on the number of Covid Patients they treated not the number of deaths 

For example in WNY, Kaleida and Catholic Health both received extra money, while ECMC did not. 

I’m trying to figure this out. Since the person is already there, wouldn’t the hospital already be receiving money, but from an insurance company? Are you saying that they would then receive even more if they claimed Covid?

18 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Thanks, working overnite day double forgot comb... hat head, wear three layers because hospital is notoriously cold at night and havent worked out since last March... shoulder size went to my belly... plus at 56 it is what it is and post chemo last year my hair came back curly still figuring it out... no idea on mask stain 

Has anyone ever said to you that you look like George Clooney when he was on the TV show ER?

On 12/22/2020 at 10:04 AM, nfreeman said:

I certainly agree that the issues are complicated.  My point was simply that certain propositions seem to have become articles of faith in this discussion, including that NYS is some kind of superior place filled with smart people who comply with COVID protocols, unlike the dumb rednecks in other parts of the country, and as a result our COVID results are better — when the data doesn’t remotely support that conclusion. 

Did you see his jab at me?

In any case you are right that these jabs, including mine, don’t improve the quality of conversation.  

One interesting item about the data I linked to is that NYC is doing better currently than the rest of NYS.  

I did not.  Just commenting to let you know that it didn't stand out to me or I didn't see it.

23 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Well, not for nothing, but the test site at 1200 Parker Blvd, Town of Tonawanda, ya the traffic all the way back to Sheridan and a good distance down Sheridan as well. And the language from the drivers, let's just say this is definitely channeling an inner New York City fever for many, yikes.

Around the corner from where I grew up... all those were the days,.

20 hours ago, freester said:

Got the Pfizer  vaccine and had no side effects at all. I have heard that the 2nd dose has more side effects. Hopefully as more people are vaccinated those that fear the vaccine will change their outlook and take the vaccine.  

I had read about the Alaskan healthcare workers who had adverse reactions all appearing to be allergic in nature.  Yesterday on a conference call at work there was discussion that the vaccine is not recommended for those with anaphylactic peanut allergies or potentially other similar allergies.

Can any of the medical professionals shed light on that?

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m trying to figure this out. Since the person is already there, wouldn’t the hospital already be receiving money, but from an insurance company? Are you saying that they would then receive even more if they claimed Covid?

Yes they received money from the insurance company and in addition received federal money based on the total number of cases they had.

Just now, Brawndo said:

Yes they received money from the insurance company and in addition received federal money based on the total number of cases they had.

I thought it was only for Medicare patients.

I also thought that program ended a while ago.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I did not.  Just commenting to let you know that it didn't stand out to me or I didn't see it.

I had read about the Alaskan healthcare workers who had adverse reactions all appearing to be allergic in nature.  Yesterday on a conference call at work there was discussion that the vaccine is not recommended for those with anaphylactic peanut allergies or potentially other similar allergies.

Got instructions other than they made us sit and observed us for 15 min.  Questionnaire asked usual allergy stuff but that was about it.  No reaction.  What Freester said about 2nd dose was told to me as well.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I thought it was only for Medicare patients.

I also thought that program ended a while ago.

Yes those payments were a one time deal under the Cares Act. The WNY Region received 87.7 Million that was divided amongst the various health systems. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

You lost a lot of weight during chemo, man.  Glad you survived it!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

To expand on what NB said, everyone receiving the vaccine is monitored for 15 minutes, with a history of allergic reactions they are watched for 30 minutes. Pfizer uses propylene glycol to stabilize the lipids in the m RNA which may be the culprit in the reactions. 

Also I lived on Woodcrest growing up not too far from Lincoln. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Brawndo said:

To expand on what NB said, everyone receiving the vaccine is monitored for 15 minutes, with a history of allergic reactions they are watched for 30 minutes. Pfizer uses propylene glycol to stabilize the lipids in the m RNA which may be the culprit in the reactions. 

Thanks for the info.

Darlington was my street. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

10 minutes ago, LTS said:

Thanks for the info.

Darlington was my street. 🙂

I have family on Harrison.  Know the area well.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

So, it would benefit hospital systems… To link any hospitalization to Covid, as long as the person was positive for Covid. So even if the hospitalization had nothing to do with Covid, if they were positive for it, then it was considered a Covid hospitalization. would that be accurate? I can picture Health systems totally doing that. 

Yeah, any patient with Covid gets marked as a Covid patient, regardless of why they are in the hospital.  It’s because they then need to be treated as Covid positive, which requires a lot of extra precautions and work on the part of the hospital.  The hospitals then received extra funding based on how much of those extra precautions they needed to do.  It’s not a scam, it’s the whole point of the extra funding.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The irony is, I now live by the other end of Parker by the Brighton Golf Course 

I also lived on Raintree for a brief period of time after college.  In fact, that was my last time in Buffalo living in an apartment there before I moved to Rochester in 97.