COVID-19

Indabuff

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It most likely been going around much longer, thing is that  countries like South-Korea that had to deal with SARS have a good supply of test kits.   Something the West is severely lacking in.

The CDC had plenty of test kits originally but they had a contaminated negative control which rendered them useless. Strike one to a manufacturing failure.

The WHO offered test kits, but as regulations stood at the time the CDC test kits were the only ones authorized for use. Strike two to red tape regulations.

It was only after lifting these regulations that more public lab homebrewed tests and those from the private sector were allowed. Hopefully this wont be strike 3.

Edit..its also important to emphasize again that the world had never seen this virus before very late in 2019. To develop any reliable molecular diagnostic in that short of a time frame is moving at light speed in the laboratory diagnostics world.

Edited by Claude_Verret

What's up with these rheumatoid arthritis medications?  Sounds like two of them are being used in high risk or severe cases?  I get that an actual vaccine might take a while but it sounds like there is also a focus on medications to deal with those already infected?  I get that those of you in the medical field don't have time for these questions so I'm hoping at least someone like Tondas can entertain me with a witty response.

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

Aaaaaand, I'm out of a job. My company wouldn't close the joint so the governor did. 8 pm tonight our doors shut. Unemployment, here I come. My other options are to burn all my PTO(barely have any left, not happening), collect unemployment, or salaried employees can go in and clean. So I'm going in to clean the place. It'll be strange going to work and doing actual work. I've haven't done that since I was 19. 

We're officially shut down for 2 weeks. I'm sure they won't have me cleaning much after that. I'm planning on having a (hopefully) short unemployment stay.

Sorry about this.  Hopefully it won't be long before things stabilize and hiring starts back up.

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Too many revolutions going on around the world. Need to show why full government control will save the human race. Never give up an opportunity to take advantage of a crisis. 

This BS belongs in the politics club.

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Patient zero ???

20200316_185344.jpg

Good man.

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

Aaaaaand, I'm out of a job. My company wouldn't close the joint so the governor did. 8 pm tonight our doors shut. Unemployment, here I come. My other options are to burn all my PTO(barely have any left, not happening), collect unemployment, or salaried employees can go in and clean. So I'm going in to clean the place. It'll be strange going to work and doing actual work. I've haven't done that since I was 19. 

We're officially shut down for 2 weeks. I'm sure they won't have me cleaning much after that. I'm planning on having a (hopefully) short unemployment stay.

Sorry about that, man.  Don't get discouraged.  All honest work is good work.  I'll keep a good thought for you.

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Patient zero ???

20200316_185344.jpg

Every time I think my work benefited society, I read your posts and think, damn, not even close.  You have my admiration.

“We are all Keynsians now.”

I could walk you through my “in the moment conversion”, and how the statement is not inconsistent with with my fidelity to Friedman and Hayek, but no one’s interested.

Now is the time for investment (well, technically lending) in businesses solvent and healthy before the outbreak.   The healthy must not die, both people and businesses.  Payroll loans, working capital and floor plans, with little or no interest, to keep people employed while the days go by.  Current liabilities only, please.  No social engineering or next generation stuff.  That’ll keep and attract private capital as it always has.  The risk of businesses not surviving the next eight weeks is huge.  We survive only of there are stores and restaurants and car dealers and museums when the clouds dissipate.  I want to go back to my same servers and bartenders.   I miss them and worry about them. 

Stay home, don’t go out, and print, baby, print.

Then, when the party’s over, on to this whole China dependency and vulnerability thing.

To my fiscally conservative fellow travelers, this is not subsidizing inefficiency and failure.  This is addressing a catastrophe.  Government, even my version of it, has a role.

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Patient zero ???

20200316_185344.jpg

We look for heroes.  They're all around us.  Mrs. Neo is one, too.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LTS said:

Probably a good thing that you've been doing all that exercise lately to get in shape.  I would think that will serve to your benefit.  Good luck buddy.

I am curious what kind of financial measures are put in place to protect small businesses.  At the same time, I do think, what would your aerial studio (in this example) do if the place burned to the ground?  Naturally (hopefully) they would have insurance, but would the money be provided back quick enough to save the business?  It happens in a lot of cases of fire, that the small business doesn't recover.  Same for floods and other disasters.

Without some level of relief I would imagine there will be a lot of bankruptcies and those will hurt the economy even more.  At some point I think there will be a plan floated to help resolve these issues because the impact of not doing so will be far greater.  Don't live without the hope.

Print, baby, print!

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

Keep us posted.

Edited by Neo

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This BS belongs in the politics club

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Government incompetence and red tape fails when put to the test. Imagine that. Somehow this will be orange mans fault...  In other news, Obama just stopped taking credit for the economy. 

And this went unmoderated?  It's hard to defend the moderation as unbiased when this happen.    *shakes head*

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Thanks for the kind words all, but I am certainly no hero for doing my job, it's takes all walks of life to make the world go round. 

Let's hope for a swift return to normalcy

I came up with my idea of hero during 9/11.  I’d already lived a long time, but the word still confused me.

Heroes walk toward things others scurry away from.  EMTs, Fireman, Cops, Doctors, soldiers ...  Atticus Finch.

I’m a man of limited capacity.  Simple truths, simple truths.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

So, I got a badge and a letter from CISA today.

Apparently there is another group of people that are not voted into office that have a direct influence on my life.

The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.

I'm vital in the dissemination of information, apparently.

I get to travel to work when there is a curfew or travel ban, which there will be.

All over a really bad cold.

We're F'ed. Pun intended.

Edited by SwampD

14 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The hysteria over this defies all logic.

I am putting you in the same category that I put TBPHD and Crusader in during the Carrion League and the tank thread days.  While philosophically anti-tank, I was most decidedly PRO tank effectively once it was “on”.

Whenever an OT loser point or a regulation win grabbed us a point or two, the two of them would assure me we were still on target, calming me.

Edited by Neo

Thanks for the well wishes guys, but I'm going to be fine. I work for a major corporation. We will open again and I'll be back to work. People are always going to gamble, and I'm always going to have to deal with them ?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I get It, I saw people basically running over each other, black Friday style just for basic things, humanity is not a pleasamt sight at this time. 

When it comes to the news and the media, that is where I have a bit of an issue. Social separation is fine, and being informational and educational about this in the correct way would go a long way with this. But instead of helpful PSA's we are basically getting fear mongering. 

This is a very tough issues we are facing and there appear to be 2 distinct sides, from my medical training I am finding it hard to believe all of this over this virus. From someone not medically trained, I can see how this would seem like doomsday. 

My hope is that in 2-4 weeks max, we start seeing the light. I'm not hoping people get infected by any means, but my gut tells me many have and have made it through before the hysteria even started. 

Do you think Dr. Fauci is a fear-monger? He has a bit more epidemiological (spelling bee, here I come) than you do. Your position on this is weird. You can't take the stance you're taking and still "hope" it'll be coming to an end in as little as two weeks. Unlike the flu, there is no vaccine or anti-viral treament; the mortality rate is much higher; and it's apparently much more contagious. There are so many unknowns with this virus. You're assuming it's going to behave like the flu. They don't even know if it's going to be seasonal.

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Do you think Dr. Fauci is a fear-monger? He has a bit more epidemiological (spelling bee, here I come) than you do. Your position on this is weird. You can't take the stance you're taking and still "hope" it'll be coming to an end in as little as two weeks. Unlike the flu, there is no vaccine or anti-viral treament; the mortality rate is much higher; and it's apparently much more contagious. There are so many unknowns with this virus. You're assuming it's going to behave like the flu. They don't even know if it's going to be seasonal.

He said 2-4 weeks. Not just 2 weeks.

He also said he hopes. Not, it will.

He also said “hope to start to see the light”. Not, “it will be over with”.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes.

China is already on the rebound, but apparently we're doomed.

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

He said 2-4 weeks. Not just 2 weeks.

He also said he hopes. Not, it will.

He also said “hope to start to see the light”. Not, “it will be over with”.

And you're criticizing me for butchering what someone wrote?!

34 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't even know who he is honestly, as I don't follow news or politics well. I will say this, most physicians in that position haven't been real doctors in years. Same as physicians in administration in hospitals. 

The medications for influenza are basically placebo, so not having a medication isn't a big deal. And no vaccine isn't really a deal breaker, as the influenza vaccine has been mostly crap for a good part of a decade now. 

As for my stance, I am hoping the hysteria comes to an end in a few weeks, I think the illness is still not going to be as severe as we think, gut feeling, whatever you want to call it. 

17 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Were a bunch of sheep and one of us saw a wolf and now were on the run. Pathetic to say the least.
Most of us that get infected will not even have a single notice of it, and life continues. 

What is your opinion @Wyldnwoody44

Ohh, was not me. I do not use Twitter, fyi. 

There is an imposter!