COVID-19

Indabuff

4 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I was just showing the correlation of health and politics in present time. That's all, not trying to put words in anyone's post. Hope we're all ok with that.

That kind of observation goes in the politics club.

25 minutes ago, SDS said:

I am down 26 pounds, down 10 points on systolic, down four points on diastolic, down 5 inches on my waist. Doing my part!

My crazy increase in alcohol consumption during all of this should have the same impact on my health, right??

Definitley not political on my part, we all know that politics isn't my thing and I mainly TRY to avoid them. 

I personally know about 15 people that had a positive test for Covid, only 2 of them needed medical attention beyond a hot toddie and some rest. One of those had a short ICU stay, one went to the ER, they were both heavy and the one that needed the ICU was morbidly obese. Not that this is some magic study or huge sample size, but it is telling in terms of my personal experience. 

We keep charging 5 bucks for lettuce while continuing to expand the dollar menu at most chains, and we're gonna see a lot of things worsen in Healthcare in general. 

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

There's a reason poorer people eat fast food all the time...

Anyways, @Wyldnwoody44 any word on if there are long term affects with COVID yet? I keep hearing rumors of them

Nothing substantial that I've read recently, I think there are a ton of theories out there, but I'm hesitant to take anything long term with much trust at them moment. 

Just in general in terms of coronaviruses in the past, there have been small percentages that have some lung dysfunction longer term, but this strain is still a fairly big unknown. 

If and Its a big IF, the virus is causing clotting issues then yes, there will be some long term issues from lack of blood flow to whatever area clotted off, especially is they are subsegmental clots and are missed or mistreated at the beginning. YMMV as well as we can turn massive strokes around with proper treatment in a timely fashion; so in theory we should be able to treat any clotting issues from Covid 

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Nothing substantial that I've read recently, I think there are a ton of theories out there, but I'm hesitant to take anything long term with much trust at them moment. 

Just in general in terms of coronaviruses in the past, there have been small percentages that have some lung dysfunction longer term, but this strain is still a fairly big unknown. 

If and Its a big IF, the virus is causing clotting issues then yes, there will be some long term issues from lack of blood flow to whatever area clotted off, especially is they are subsegmental clots and are missed or mistreated at the beginning. YMMV as well as we can turn massive strokes around with proper treatment in a timely fashion; so in theory we should be able to treat any clotting issues from Covid 

And those potential lung and clotting effects, those who are in worse shape physically are much more prone to those, yes? What about asthmatics? 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

His point wasn't.  And it's not as simple as diet and exercise, and the rest most definitely is political.  And that was my point.

It's not as simple as diet and exercise?  Outside of uncontrollable genetic dispositions, why is it not about diet and exercise?  How does any level of politics play into how people choose to live their lives and what they choose to eat?

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

And those potential lung and clotting effects, those who are in worse shape physically are much more prone to those, yes? What about asthmatics? 

I'm not 100% sure if the supposed clotting issue is affecting just those with prior airway issues, the complement cascade that is responsible for bleeding and clotting goes much deeper than that, it involves the liver, lungs, etc. Then there's the other issue that Covid affects ACE receptors, which are very prevelant in the lungs and are receptors that are targeted in those with hypertension (high blood pressure). 

I think having a chronic or reactive airway disease puts you at risk a bit more because of the body's decreased sensitivity to airways irritation compared to someone without them. However I'm my back country opinion, I think that when all the s said and done, high blood pressure and obesity will be the biggest things that put people at risk. 

Sorry if this seems muddled a bit, it's a very very complex system and im trying to use layperson speak for it lol 

• Thanks (+1) 1

The CDC put out a great chart detailing which underlying conditions are the worst to have re: Covid. Google is your friend!

Enough time has now passed that a lot of data is available for analysis. One of the main reasons I returned to work is that my conditions seem to be less of a concern. Well controlled asthma, chronic lung disease other than COPD, low dose Methotrexate.

It feels like we're figuring this thing out, but 25(?)% of the population won't do three or four basic things to really get cases under control.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I am down 26 pounds, down 10 points on systolic, down four points on diastolic, down 5 inches on my waist. Doing my part!

That's awesome. You're going to be around here for a long time.

Are you winning more on the food side or the exercise side?

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Nice job!

Back before COVID I always fluctuated between 205-207. I'm between 193-195 now. Shooting for under 190 by September, which is a number I haven't seen since I was in high school.

I've been doing reasonable exercise (walking on my lunch break every day), this pull-up regimen I found (I'm up to a max of 7, two months ago I couldn't do ANY pull-ups), some planks, and some hiking. Haven't started cycling again yet, but I think that's coming soon.

Diet made a huge difference though. The pandemic has me eating out a lot less. I also started subbing in mineral water (Topo Chico, when I can get it at Wegmans) for beers in my fridge, so that on nights when I want something besides water from the Brita I can reach for something other than a beer (at least to start ?). Cutting out the odd 150 calorie beer here and there is big.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but @Wyldnwoody44's point doesn't seem political to me -- he's urging people to be generally healthier, at least 90% of which consists of diet and exercise.  Those are not partisan items.

Corn subsidies are almost 100% of the problem though.  We subsidize obesity in this country because of Depression-era efforts to prop up small-time farmers.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm not 100% sure if the supposed clotting issue is affecting just those with prior airway issues, the complement cascade that is responsible for bleeding and clotting goes much deeper than that, it involves the liver, lungs, etc. Then there's the other issue that Covid affects ACE receptors, which are very prevelant in the lungs and are receptors that are targeted in those with hypertension (high blood pressure). 

I think having a chronic or reactive airway disease puts you at risk a bit more because of the body's decreased sensitivity to airways irritation compared to someone without them. However I'm my back country opinion, I think that when all the s said and done, high blood pressure and obesity will be the biggest things that put people at risk. 

Sorry if this seems muddled a bit, it's a very very complex system and im trying to use layperson speak for it lol 

I've also heard that covid also goes after the pancreas and one of the long term effects of covid might be a rise in diabetes.

42 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I've also heard that covid also goes after the pancreas and one of the long term effects of covid might be a rise in diabetes.

Could help explain some of the outcomes in Black Americans who last I knew had higher diabetes rates. 

3 hours ago, LTS said:

It's not as simple as diet and exercise?  Outside of uncontrollable genetic dispositions, why is it not about diet and exercise?  How does any level of politics play into how people choose to live their lives and what they choose to eat?

That’s what I get for a short, not fleshed out response in the middle of a work day.  

Simple diet and exercise is a well distilled answer, like get a job and work hard is a well distilled answer to fixing poverty.   And that is where politics start.

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

There's a reason poorer people eat fast food all the time..

You’re in Rochester if I’m not mistaken. 

I did all the bridge repairs at St. Paul, Clinton and Joseph Streets when the train station was being rebuilt.

I spent over twelve months in that neighborhood and I know it well. The first thing I want to say? Those people I met there were some of the nicest, most hopeful people I’ve ever met. 
The second? Those folks don’t deserve the poverty they find themselves in. 

In that entire area between the river and the 590 there is only ONE chain grocery. The TOPS next to the McDonalds on Upper Falls Blvd. Have you ever been in there? The produce section is smaller than the Big M in my little white hick town.

There’s lots of food baskets in that neighborhood but they can’t handle perishable (healthy) foods. All too often McDonalds becomes their best option for a meal. 

It is very damn political and I think everyone that doesn’t sympathize with these folk suck. 

Go hang out in the hood for a spell. Not only will you not be injured, you’ll see good people working hard. 

So easy to judge them from a distance and if you do judge these folks for where they are and what they eat then shame on you.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ogre said:

You’re in Rochester if I’m not mistaken. 

I did all the bridge repairs at St. Paul, Clinton and Joseph Streets when the train station was being rebuilt.

I spent over twelve months in that neighborhood and I know it well. The first thing I want to say? Those people I met there were some of the nicest, most hopeful people I’ve ever met. 
The second? Those folks don’t deserve the poverty they find themselves in. 

In that entire area between the river and the 590 there is only ONE chain grocery. The TOPS next to the McDonalds on Upper Falls Blvd. Have you ever been in there? The produce section is smaller than the Big M in my little white hick town.

There’s lots of food baskets in that neighborhood but they can’t handle perishable (healthy) foods. All too often McDonalds becomes their best option for a meal. 

It is very damn political and I think everyone that doesn’t sympathize with these folk suck. 

Go hang out in the hood for a spell. Not only will you not be injured, you’ll see good people working hard. 

So easy to judge them from a distance and if you do judge these folks for where they are and what they eat then shame on you.

Just saw a report on Fox news that Kodak will be changing to produce ingredients for pharmaceuticals on a large scale. Government help that will create jobs. Hopefully it helps the area big time.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Kodak will be changing to produce ingredients for pharmaceuticals on a large scale.

If you don’t live in Rochester you wouldn’t know that Kodak has been a chemical manufacturing site for a long time now, and have had many contracts with the US government. There is an extensive underground complex there and a nuclear reactor was removed from that site a few years ago. Kodak Park is massive and the stories I have from having worked in there on and off for decades would blow your mind.  This really is the stuff they’ve been doing there for years. I haven’t seen the specifics of the deal but there have been many federally promised deals here in Rochester that never seem to materialize. 
 I’m sure it’s not political though?.