COVID-19

Indabuff

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

1.  You are being used as a pawn in another argument.  There is a double standard in this thread.

2.  I apologize for using you as a pawn, but, at this point, I'm more Howard Beale and not so much Harry Neale.  That's on me, but I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

I will say this though, in terms of double standards, the mods around here are tolerable. Go on to the Bills message board for awhile, then come back. It’s like a breath of fresh air. I’ve never seen mods that are that vindictive and opinionated. Even though I may like the Bills more than the Sabres (who doesn’t right now?), I always come here for a dose of intelligence and reason. 

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I will say this though, in terms of double standards, the mods around here are tolerable. Go on to the Bills message board for awhile, then come back. It’s like a breath of fresh air. I’ve never seen mods that are that vindictive and opinionated. Even though I may like the Bills more than the Sabres (who doesn’t right now?), I always come here for a dose of intelligence and reason. 

I like the Sabres more than the Bills.

I also greatly prefer this board to TBD.  I don't go there often and I happen to agree with you.  But I'm also not going to discourage others from  it because Scott is a good dude.  I also have the (uninformed by personal experience) thought that the folks at TBD who are hardcore do some pretty nifty tailgating together. 

Edited by Eleven

OK -- I've moved a bunch of posts to the politics club and re-opened this thread.

As always, this thread is for discussion of the non-political aspects of the virus.  Political opinions, including discussion of state or federal government response to the virus, goes in the politics club. 

As for the latest batch of bias accusations -- while I continue to find these offensive, I admit to getting too PO'd about these the last time around, and more broadly I don't think there is anything to be gained from me participating in a vitriolic exchange on this, so I will just say:

- I didn't move posts or participate in posting yesterday as it was a pretty busy day.  While I had a few minutes here and there yesterday to read a few threads on my phone, including this one, I didn't have time to move posts (which is much easier on a computer than on a phone, btw) or write anything.

- If anyone thinks a post should be moved, all he/she has to do is report it, and the request will be taken seriously.  Our response time may not be as fast as some might like, but we'll get to it.

- I continue to be disappointed by the willingness of some who should know better to level accusations without bothering to take 20 minutes or so to do any kind of work or analysis to determine whether or not the accusations are empirically supported.

That's all.

19 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

It does if you are talking about.....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ny-pub-cuomo-chips-coronavirus-rule

Lol

Lots of places are doing stuff like that to satisfy the rule.  Some bars don't have kitchens.  Hotel Lafayette, which *does* have a kitchen, has come out with a dollar menu including a slice of cold cut (chef's choice), nine French fries, a basket of croutons, and a dish of grapes.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Neo said:

I don’t worry about my health.  Why worry?  My DNA and cumulative life choices are what they are.  I choose to live, not stay alive.

Do you worry about mine?

It's a huge shift for people to make, especially, I'm theorizing, Americans. But concern for others is the heart of wearing a mask — insert oft-repeated statement about how a mask's main job isn't protecting the wearer.

The whole situation is confounding. How can I feel fine and make others sick? How is it my mask shouldn't make me feel protected?

• Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Do you worry about mine?

It's a huge shift for people to make, especially, I'm theorizing, Americans. But concern for others is the heart of wearing a mask — insert oft-repeated statement about how a mask's main job isn't protecting the wearer.

The whole situation is confounding. How can I feel fine and make others sick? How is it my mask shouldn't make me feel protected?

And this is what I feel our country just isn’t getting.  The whole concept of masks and social distancing is about protecting those around you, not protecting you.  You’re choices are affecting the risk of people who haven’t made the same risk determination you’ve made.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's a huge shift for people to make

Is it really, though? To put on a mask and stay six feet away from strangers?  I don't see it as a huge burden at all.

20 minutes ago, Weave said:

And this is what I feel our country just isn’t getting.  The whole concept of masks and social distancing is about protecting those around you, not protecting you.  You’re choices are affecting the risk of people who haven’t made the same risk determination you’ve made.

There are now stores that aren't even enforcing the rules and have pulled up their six-foot distance markers (I'm looking at you, Speedway on Elmwood).  I did ask someone to back up the other day, and he did, though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

- I continue to be disappointed by the willingness of some who should know better to level accusations without bothering to take 20 minutes or so to do any kind of work or analysis to determine whether or not the accusations are empirically supported

You say this as though you have definitive proof that they didn’t. Do you have proof? Asking for a friend.

I don't think there is anything to be gained from me participating in a vitriolic exchange on this

I agree 100%. It’s actually just the opposite innit? I’m assuming SS isn’t one of the 501(c) organizations and that it is run for profit. I coincidentally am in one of those organizations (under 501(c)(5)) but I’ll get back to this in a moment.

As for the latest batch of bias accusations -- while I continue to find these offensive, I admit to getting too PO'd about these the last time around

Don’t you think that as moderator of this for profit site(allegedly)you should not share the fact that discussion of racial bias(which mostly happened in the thread created for it) pisses you off? 
  Forget about Ogre the poster for a moment, what about Joe Lurker or Suzy Advertiser? When someone (like myself) shares some inside info that a particular word or phrase is found to be offensive by minority groups, they are sharing facts and attempting to modify behaviors. You might see no problem with ‘tribal’ but when it’s used to shine a negative light on folks that believe in masks, then it is used in its darkest definition, to paint a certain group as unintelligent and in need of another superior group to help them understand.

As the main representative of this site, don’t you agree that you should not share those thoughts? Again forget about the regular poster. What about those other two groups I mentioned? In today’s newly emerging culture of advertisers’ boycotts, don’t you think they would see negative imagery like this

82AE8044-2365-4186-9E85-04F2924805F2.thumb.png.d92200717dee6ef1caa44b2c418aafe2.png

coupled with the main representative moving and deleting random posts(oh you’re a Deleter for sure, twice for now so far but hold tight, I’m getting there) and be turned off from spending their advertising dollars here? I would imagine the fight to retain advertisers is getting pretty competitive but I’m not going to tell you how to do you.

Now for that Deleter status. You deleted a post I shared where I stated my belief that Labor Unions are good for this country(there’s my 501(c)(5) not for profit status for ya?)and the best way to reach a strong middle class America. If it was political it wasn’t just moved, it was deleted. Poof! Just like my post last night where I used the knowledge of all my years instructing minority peoples that the use of the word ‘tribal’ in a negative light should go bye-bye. Poof! Gone in 30 seconds!

I won’t make that mistake again. I’ll instantaneously memorialize this so that if it is deleted again, I can give it new life, as many times as it is deleted. 

Let people have all the facts and let them decide. Lurker and advertiser alike. 

I’ve done nothing but speak my mind here. My message is solid. If my tone pisses you off then that’s on you and a sure sign that you should look within before looking without. 

IMO of course.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Actually it has proven to be both though not as effective for yourself.

48 minutes ago, Ogre said:

You say this as though you have definitive proof that they didn’t. Do you have proof? Asking for a friend.

-snip-

IMO of course.

Dude.

I wish there were less animus in your post, but I will attempt to respond.

- Of course I haven't proved a negative, since it is pretty much impossible to do so.  I've suggested several times that those concerned about bias do the work to support the claim, and the only response I've received was a refusal to do so.

- I in no way said that discussion of racial bias makes me PO'd.  Not even close.  I said that I took offense at the accusations towards me of political bias in the way I choose which posts to move to the politics club, and that last time I got too PO'd about it.

- If there are profits being made on this site -- which I highly doubt -- I'm not aware of them.

- I deleted one of your posts, and when you expressed consternation, I offered to restore it into either this thread or the politics club (although, as I said at the time, I felt it belonged in the politics club).  You didn't respond to that offer.  As for your post last night, it was moved into the politics club, and I said this morning that I moved a bunch of posts into the politics club, so I'm not sure how you can say it disappeared.

Happy to discuss further if you like.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Do you worry about mine?

Of course I do.  What an absurd question to ask.  Which, of course, you know ...

And the hissy fit turns maudlin, from the vapors to the angst.

BTW Re mask wearing and O2: 

Not sure how accurate but would debunk anti maskers.  Though I do think some folks get anxiety wearing masks  that can cause them to breath heavier making it feel like its a problem.  Still if you get used to it not a big deal.

Edited by North Buffalo
not sure

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

BTW Re mask wearing and O2: 

Not sure how accurate but would debunk anti maskers.  Though I do think some folks get anxiety wearing masks  that can cause them to breath heavier making it feel like its a problem.  Still if you get used to it not a big deal.

When I heard what my niece had to endure during her 14 hour shifts in the icu, it made me want to kick anyone who complains about wearing a mask right in the dick.

Ps. I love the filter.

• Like (+1) 2