COVID-19

Indabuff

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Getting into the jingleweeds here, but what if I touch my cheek? Is the virus going to make its way into my eye, nose or mouth? They're saying don't touch your face. Also, should people be washing their faces?

The closer you touch your contaminated hands on your face to one of the points of entry the greater the probability of infection. 

In recent weeks I've been more cognizant of how often I touch my face, and I often touch it without realizing I'm doing it. The more we properly wash our hands, the lower the probability we transfer anything to the skin on our faces. Vigilant hand washing and washing your face more than you normally do cant hurt.

Maybe some of the docs can chime in, but I'd think you're more likely to receive an infectious dose of virus by being near an infected person who is coughing or sneezing and releasing aerosolized virus into the air, than you are by touching contaminated surfaces. 

Social distancing and hand washing. Hand washing and social distancing.

Edited by Claude_Verret
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Claude_Verret said:

The closer you touch your contaminated hands on your face to one of the points of entry the greater the probability of infection. 

In recent weeks I've been more cognizant of how often I touch my face, and I often touch it without realizing I'm doing it. The more we propetly wash our hands, the lower the probability we transfer anything to the skin on our faces. Vigilant hand washing and washing your face more than you normally do cant hurt.

Maybe some of the docs can chime in, but I'd think you're more likely to receive an infectious dose of virus by being near an infected person who is coughing or sneezing and releasing aerosolized virus into the air, than you are by touching contaminated surfaces. 

Social distancing and hand washing. Hand washing and social distancing.

I'm constantly touching/stroking/twisting my beard. Almost subconsciously. I wasn't aware how often I do it until the last couple days. 

• Like (+1) 1

You might notice something unusual, not to mention unfortunate, next time you try to stock up on bathroom supplies at your local grocery store. Not just the bare shelves where hand sanitizer and cleansing wipes were plentiful only a few weeks ago, but the empty aisles where toilet paper usually abounds in quantities from single rolls to packages of more than a dozen.

Some are even adorned with signs limiting the number of purchases per customer. Such caps have become a trend in the U.S. and Canada after supermarkets in the United Kingdom ran out and grocery stores across Australia hired security guards to make sure the rules are followed.

What's the reason for the run, especially when toilet paper isn't known to have any virus-blocking properties?

One reason is that people are going to extremes because of conflicting messages, Steven Taylor, a clinical psychologist and author of "The Psychology of Pandemics," told CNN.

"On the one hand, [the response is] understandable, but on the other hand it's excessive," Taylor, a professor and clinical psychologist at the University of British Columbia, told the TV network. "We can prepare without panicking."

The novel coronavirus has scared many Americans because there is little information -- and there isn't a vaccine yet. When people hear conflicting messages about the risk, it affects how they cope and how they prepare, Taylor said.

The second reason: They aren't receiving clear direction from the government. Many are watching what's happening in Europe and clinging to their own knowledge on how to best prepare for a mass quarantine. Although the United States has said it wouldn't consider such a measure, people still believe it's a real possibility.

Social media has heightened the tension, as have visits to stores where other shoppers are stockpiling with abandon. With the shelves of many retailers across the country remaining empty for over a week, consumers are buying in bulk so that they won't need to come back for some time.

"People, being social creatures, we look to each other for cues for what is safe and what is dangerous," he said. "And when you see someone in the store panic-buying, that can cause a fear-contagion effect."

Finally, purchasing products in bulk gives people a sense of control over their situations, releasing some pent-up anxiety. "People become anxious ahead of the actual infection," Taylor said. "They haven't thought about the bigger picture, like what are the consequences of stockpiling toilet paper."

As of March 14th, the United States has 2,195 reported COVID-19 cases with 49 confirmed fatalities. Worldwide, more than 130,000 people have been infected, and more than 4,900 have died.

• Like (+1) 1

So my wife just texted me a meme from the NFL

"3 Days without sports. Found a lady sitting on my couch.   Apparently she's my wife. Seems nice.

Also the toilet paper thing I totally understand... if you are going to be confined to your house for 14 days plus you really dont want to run out.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

"3 Days without sports. Found a lady sitting on my couch.   Apparently she's my wife. Seems nice.

Also the toilet paper thing I totally understand... if you are going to be confined to your house for 14 days plus you really dont want to run out.

I laughed at the first part.  I stopped at the second part.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Maybe it's because I'm a single guy, but a single roll of toilet paper lasts me more than 14 days.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It's incredible.  You'd think it would be food, water or medicine X.  Nope, everyone is too preoccupied with how they're going to wipe their *****.  

I'm thinking about starting to sell the tp I do have.  Wonder how much I could get for a roll in a couple days. 

Edited by Indabuff

Someone help me with this. The social isolation measures make sense and probably will have to be ramped up (shut down air travel, restrict travel in some areas, make certain businesses close, like restaurants, bars, non essential retail stores, movie theaters and the like). But that can't last forever. When things get back to normal, what's going to stop the virus from starting to spread again?