COVID-19

Indabuff

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Not sure I agree with you on this. At what point does a protestor's right to protest and my right's to move about my city freely overlap? 

The protesters where gone before the vote.  The police did their jobs (in Ottawa they used what I will call excessive force in many cases) around the country without the Emergency Act.  Borders are open.  They closed off a small block in Ottawa at Parliament Hill.  There was no emergency and there still isn't.  Yet the Federal Govenment of Canada now has far reaching powers for another 20 days or so.  The precedent has been set.  At anytime the Feds can grab more power along the lines of any dictatorship.  This has nothing to do with the protestors in Ottawa or anywhere else.

The PM forced the issue by making this a confidence vote and told his MPs that they better tow the line or else.  Two Liberal MPs did what they did not want to do and voted in favour of this bill.  The gutless NDP backed this government as they have done for years in the hopes of them getting little didbits of their platform snuck in here and there.  They have no hope of forming a govenment, so this is the next best thing for them.

I am planning to do something that I have never done in my whole life ... vote Conservative in the next Federal election.

I stand by my statement that the vote last evening ended the darkest day in Canadian history.  Just terrible what has become of my country.  The laughing stock of the Western world.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

The protesters where gone before the vote.  The police did their jobs (in Ottawa they used what I will call excessive force in many cases) around the country without the Emergency Act.  Borders are open.  They closed off a small block in Ottawa at Parliament Hill.  There was no emergency and there still isn't.  Yet the Federal Govenment of Canada now has far reaching powers for another 20 days or so.  The precedent has been set.  At anytime the Feds can grab more power along the lines of any dictatorship.  This has nothing to do with the protestors in Ottawa or anywhere else.

The PM forced the issue by making this a confidence vote and told his MPs that they better tow the line or else.  Two Liberal MPs did what they did not want to do and voted in favour of this bill.  The gutless NDP backed this government as they have done for years in the hopes of them getting little didbits of their platform snuck in here and there.  They have no hope of forming a govenment, so this is the next best thing for them.

I am planning to do something that I have never done in my whole life ... vote Conservative in the next Federal election.

I stand by my statement that the vote last evening ended the darkest day in Canadian history.  Just terrible what has become of my country.  The laughing stock of the Western world.

If you don't think the conservatives in Canada would do the same thing if they could or worse, you haven't been paying attention to American politics. Political parties are opposite sides of the same power hungry coin. You should vote based on more than 1 issue. Your call though, I don't agree with your darkest day comment. If Trudeau forces the act reauthorized and starts using it's powers to oppress ppl than sure but if 4 years of Trump taught me anything is that sometimes the worse does not come to pass in all situations... and other times it really does. 

Please do not take this wrong way because I am not trying to provoke and I do not feel this way. I don't like the use of emergency act because you are right it sets a dangerous precedent and it can erode rights. With that said, no one in the Western World is laughing at Canada because Canada isn't the biggest player on the stage and there is a bigger drama unfolding elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Please do not take this wrong way because I am not trying to provoke and I do not feel this way. I don't like the use of emergency act because you are right it sets a dangerous precedent and it can erode rights. With that said, no one in the Western World is laughing at Canada because Canada isn't the biggest player on the stage and there is a bigger drama unfolding elsewhere. 

Maybe you are right, but I bet this is a test to see how far someone can take things.  I bet all the Western leaders, including Biden, are taking notes and watching closely.

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you don't think the conservatives in Canada would do the same thing if they could or worse, you haven't been paying attention to American politics. Political parties are opposite sides of the same power hungry coin. You should vote based on more than 1 issue. Your call though, I don't agree with your darkest day comment. If Trudeau forces the act reauthorized and starts using it's powers to oppress ppl than sure but if 4 years of Trump taught me anything is that sometimes the worse does not come to pass in all situations... and other times it really does. 

There is a lot more to it than this issue, but it is the cherry on top.  Trudeau has had more scandals than any PM in my memory.  I agree that the Conservatives likely will be no better and may actually be worse.  That said, at least they don't have Trudeau leading them.

10 hours ago, Weave said:

It’s the GOP strategy statement.

Which brings me to this. Also he leaves out in the quoted part "is he trying to snuff out Christianity" 

This is the modern gop. Convince their base that doctors, scientists, teachers, and everyone not "Christian" is out to get them. Want proof? Tucker if siding with vladimir putin, a guy who literally kills his opponents, because he wants to cast anyone left of his opinions as evil. Why? Because it makes Tucker money and because this dipshit trust fund baby is pro far right extremism. 

Here he's doing his tried and true method of attack, asking ***** questions to distract and enrage. He'll then hide behind that to act as though he's an innocent and legitimate person. 

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Which brings me to this. Also he leaves out in the quoted part "is he trying to snuff out Christianity" 

This is the modern gop. Convince their base that doctors, scientists, teachers, and everyone not "Christian" is out to get them. Want proof? Tucker if siding with vladimir putin, a guy who literally kills his opponents, because he wants to cast anyone left of his opinions as evil. Why? Because it makes Tucker money and because this dipshit trust fund baby is pro far right extremism. 

Here he's doing his tried and true method of attack, asking ***** questions to distract and enrage. He'll then hide behind that to act as though he's an innocent and legitimate person. 

Tucker Carlson never met a fascist he didn’t like. He’s a great Minister of Propaganda. 

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

Tucker Carlson never met a fascist he didn’t like. He’s a great Minister of Propaganda. 

I never had any use for Carlson and think he's a desperate man clinging to a desperate ideology.

That said, he hates Trudeau, who is a fascist wannabe with good hair, and that makes him a little bit better in my books.

I never had any use for Carlson and think he's a desperate man clinging to a desperate ideology.

That said, he hates Trudeau, who is a fascist wannabe with good hair, and that makes him a little bit better in my books.

Does Trudeau create and propagate big lies to the populace? Does he seek to scapegoat and marginalize black and brown people? Does he favor laws that dictate LGBT people must declare their sexuality as a prerequisite to attend public school? Does he favor laws that encourage citizens to report the sexual orientation of their neighbors like Nazi Germany did to Jews and homosexuals? Does he pass laws banning books and subject matter in schools also like those fascists from the 1930s? Does he encourage citizens to report that other citizens received an abortion? 

Because that’s some of what fascism looks like and that’s what’s happening in this country as I type this. 

I’m sorry, but disagreeing with a politician over a public health policy in the face of a pandemic just doesn’t make him a fascist. I think it’s beyond disrespectful to the countless millions of people who have actually suffered at the hands of fascist regimes to even make the comparison. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Does Trudeau create and propagate big lies to the populace? Does he seek to scapegoat and marginalize black and brown people? Does he favor laws that dictate LGBT people must declare their sexuality as a prerequisite to attend public school? Does he favor laws that encourage citizens to report the sexual orientation of their neighbors like Nazi Germany did to Jews and homosexuals? Does he pass laws banning books and subject matter in schools also like those fascists from the 1930s? Does he encourage citizens to report that other citizens received an abortion? 

Because that’s some of what fascism looks like and that’s what’s happening in this country as I type this. 

I’m sorry, but disagreeing with a politician over a public health policy in the face of a pandemic just doesn’t make him a fascist. I think it’s beyond disrespectful to the countless millions of people who have actually suffered at the hands of fascist regimes to even make the comparison. 

I said wannabe.

All those examples you sight were not the first step.

All I am saying is that Trudeau has stretched his governments powers, if even briefly and who knows how much will just stay in place, but out of sight, in ways that have not been done in 50 years under questionable, at best, grounds.

Generally, Canadians are very passive and quite liberal, but a Liberal Prime Minister can and has grabed power more than anyone in the past.

He has marginalized a segment of the population during COVID.  If you count his black face antics as rasist, which many do, then he has been that.  He also runs the country according to polling data, which would probably be the case for any government.

39 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I said wannabe.

All those examples you sight were not the first step.

All I am saying is that Trudeau has stretched his governments powers, if even briefly and who knows how much will just stay in place, but out of sight, in ways that have not been done in 50 years under questionable, at best, grounds.

Generally, Canadians are very passive and quite liberal, but a Liberal Prime Minister can and has grabed power more than anyone in the past.

He has marginalized a segment of the population during COVID.  If you count his black face antics as rasist, which many do, then he has been that.  He also runs the country according to polling data, which would probably be the case for any government.

When he does what I described above, then I’ll say he’s a wannabe fascist. Unlike the radical GOP in this country, he doesn’t even register on the scale. Not even close.

He’s marginalized a segment of society? By virtue of a temporary public health policy meant to protect against the spread of a deadly virus?  Please tell me, what freedoms have those refusing to get vaccinated had taken away from them? Based on interviews I’ve heard from some unvaccinated Canadians, it’s nothing more than the right of smokers to smoke in restaurants, sports arenas, concert venues, or wherever else the health of the public might be impacted by their behavior. 

Cry me a F**king river. 

57 minutes ago, K-9 said:

When he does what I described above, then I’ll say he’s a wannabe fascist. Unlike the radical GOP in this country, he doesn’t even register on the scale. Not even close.

He’s marginalized a segment of society? By virtue of a temporary public health policy meant to protect against the spread of a deadly virus?  Please tell me, what freedoms have those refusing to get vaccinated had taken away from them? Based on interviews I’ve heard from some unvaccinated Canadians, it’s nothing more than the right of smokers to smoke in restaurants, sports arenas, concert venues, or wherever else the health of the public might be impacted by their behavior. 

Cry me a F**king river. 

Trudeau has demonized the uncaccinated and called them racists and other not nice things.  He has divided the country and has told the vacciated that all their problems are due to the 10% of the population that are not vaccinated.

He has mandated vaccinations for federal govenment employees and for federally regulated businesses (banks, post office ...).  If you tell someone that they are not going to be able to feed their families unless you get vacccinated that's a problem and your freedom to choose what goes into your body is taken away.  The Provinces have done the same thing, but some are starting to remove the mandates for Provincial (including healthcare) employees.  That is not the case in Nova Scotia or in Halifax, but that may be changing.  We are removing all mandates by March 21st.  I will still be wearing my mask in public places like shops.

I don't think anyone in Canada that is not vaccinated really cared about the vaccine passort nonsense for movies etc.  Those restrictions and passports are being removed.

Just now, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Trudeau has demonized the uncaccinated and called them racists and other not nice things.  He has divided the country and has told the vacciated that all their problems are due to the 10% of the population that are not vaccinated.

He has mandated vaccinations for federal govenment employees and for federally regulated businesses (banks, post office ...).  If you tell someone that they are not going to be able to feed their families unless you get vacccinated that's a problem and your freedom to choose what goes into your body is taken away.  The Provinces have done the same thing, but some are starting to remove the mandates for Provincial (including healthcare) employees.  That is not the case in Nova Scotia or in Halifax, but that may be changing.  We are removing all mandates by March 21st.  I will still be wearing my mask in public places like shops.

I don't think anyone in Canada that is not vaccinated really cared about the vaccine passort nonsense for movies etc.  Those restrictions and passports are being removed.

The hypocrisy concerning public health policy and how it relates to vaccinations currently and historically is off the charts. Especially as it relates to the term “temporary.”

As I’ve said, it’s disrespectful to the struggle of the countless millions who have actually lost rights to fascists, who have actually been marginalized by fascists, who have actually suffered at the hands of fascists, who have actually died at the hands of fascists. I find it disgusting. 

I am finished with this conversation.