COVID-19

Indabuff

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In the military the soldiers will soon be required to get vaccinated whether they want to or not. 

What does this have to do with anything, then don't Join the military. You're govt property when you join. we are all or mostly all civilians here with rights. I think the vaccination is good, but I don't think this overbearing attitude of being a judgemental ass is good. 

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Edited by Wyldnwoody44
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

What does this have to do with anything, then don't Join the military. You're govt property when you join. we are all or mostly all civilians here with rights. I think the vaccination is good, but I don't think this overbearing attitude of being a judgemental ass is good. 

I agree with you about the military situation. But to a lesser degree this compelling of vaccinations is happening in colleges, jobs and even entertainment settings. No one should be forced to get it yet there are settings where if you aren't vaccinated you can be excluded from the job or setting. I have no problem with that exclusion. 

2 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

Yes it’s all a giant conspiracy by Big Pharma and the Democrats with the goal of laying the groundwork for a Green New Deal whereby sweeping life-altering body-controlling job-killing regulations will be passed en masse under the auspices of solving a public health crisis and us sheeple will already be pumped so full of the Govt Similac we will let it all happen.

Something like that right?

Get bent.  Seriously.

EDIT:

Also, the Neville Chamberlains who go around saying “I don’t judge anyone for not getting the vaccine, it’s a personal decision!” can get bent too.  Quit appeasing.  It’s ok to judge the sh- out of mouth-breathing conspiracy-slinging Neanderthals.  Enough is enough with this garbage. 

Unfortunately you really don’t understand medicine and are ignorant of medical history. I suggest you read about Frances Kelsey one of the greatest American heroes you’ve never heard of. Perhaps after educating yourself, you won’t see medicine so black and white. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

15 years of medical experience and I still will allow people to make choices on what they believe.

So if they say, "I don't believe I have cancer" when they're stage 4, you're okay with that?  How very kind of you.

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So if they say, "I don't believe I have cancer" when they're stage 4, you're okay with that?  How very kind of you.

Hey, if they want to belive that, then medically I will explain why it isn't so, but if after they still want to... Then yes. Why would I be so disrespectful to that individual. Again, people are allowed to make decisions they want... My job is to give the medical facts and to try and explain them to the layperson as best as possible. I've literally had these situations arise. I feel bad, but at the end of the day they are adults with the ability to think and decide for themselves.

The same go for people who have stage whatever cancer and decide to forego treatment, even with good success with said treatment or with jehova witnesses that won't accept life saving blood products, etc etc. This is not about Covid or the vaccination for me at this point, it's about the collective greater than thou attitude that seems to be mounting when people disagree, take a step off the pedestal. 

But thanks for the attitude as always 😘

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Hey, if they want to belive that, then medically I will explain why it isn't so, but if after they still want to... Then yes. Why would I be so disrespectful to that individual. Again, people are allowed to make decisions they want... My job is to give the medical facts and to try and explain them to the layperson as best as possible. I've literally had these situations arise. I feel bad, but at the end of the day they are adults with the ability to think and decide for themselves.

The same go for people who have stage whatever cancer and decide to forego treatment, even with good success with said treatment or with jehova witnesses that won't accept life saving blood products, etc etc. This is not about Covid or the vaccination for me at this point, it's about the collective greater than thou attitude that seems to be mounting when people disagree, take a step off the pedestal. 

But thanks for the attitude as always 😘

No.

Vaccines are decidedly NOT an individual choice.  They are designed to protect the greater good.  You may understand medicine but you are woefully (perhaps purposely) ignorant of public health policy.  If someone wants to completely shut themselves in from society then yes of course, they can choose not to vaccinate themselves from a dangerous communicable disease.  For everyone else - which is basically everyone who ventures into town to shop at the nearest Bass Pro Shop, attends sporting events and concerts, eats at restaurants or avails themselves of public health resources such as when they end up in the E.R. with late-stage Covid and start begging for horse pills and formaldehyde - everyone who avails themselves of the commons and community resources needs to get the damn jab.  Period.  

Edited by Cascade Youth
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, freester said:

Unfortunately you really don’t understand medicine and are ignorant of medical history. I suggest you read about Frances Kelsey one of the greatest American heroes you’ve never heard of. Perhaps after educating yourself, you won’t see medicine so black and white. 

OMG are you seriously comparing the (now FDA-approved) Covid vaccine to thalidomide?  Seriously??  Among a zillion other differences, a pill for morning sickness wasn’t encouraged (let alone mandated) to stave off a public health crisis.  Again, among about a zillion other differences.

27 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

No.

Vaccines are decidedly NOT an individual choice.  They are designed to protect the greater good.  You may understand medicine but you are woefully (perhaps purposely) ignorant of public health policy.  If someone wants to completely shut themselves in from society then yes of course, they can choose not to vaccinate themselves from a dangerous communicable disease.  For everyone else - which is basically everyone who ventures into town to shop at the nearest Bass Pro Shop, attends sporting events and concerts, eats at restaurants or avails themselves of public health resources such as when they end up in the E.R. with late-stage Covid and start begging for horse pills and formaldehyde - everyone who avails themselves of the commons and community resources needs to get the damn jab.  Period.  

While it isn't as lethal as COVID, the flu is also a killer, and vaccines for the expected strains are developed every year.  Do you also believe that anybody that ventures into public spaces MUST get an annual flu shot?  If, yes, there is a consistency to your position.  If not, why not?

And a perhaps unfair question, has your view on that changed in the last 18 months?

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

While it isn't as lethal as COVID, the flu is also a killer, and vaccines for the expected strains are developed every year.  Do you also believe that anybody that ventures into public spaces MUST get an annual flu shot?  If, yes, there is a consistency to your position.  If not, why not?

And a perhaps unfair question, has your view on that changed in the last 18 months?

Whenever someone says, "I never get the flu shot and I've never gotten the flu!", I always say, "You're welcome."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

No.

Incorrect, getting something jammed into your own body, is in fact is a personal choice. Sure, I recommend the vaccination to my patients, but if they say they don't want it, I don't berate them. Apparently that is the couth of this board, I guess that is why you guys aren't practicing medicine. I would hate to practice alongside you. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Incorrect, getting something jammed into your own body, is in fact is a personal choice. Sure, I recommend the vaccination to my patients, but if they say they don't want it, I don't berate them. Apparently that is the couth of this board, I guess that is why you guys aren't practicing medicine. I would hate to practice alongside you. 

And some people realize that their personal choice will benefit many others so they take the risk for the benefit others.

And some people say I only care about myself so I won't take the risk, even if it would benefit others.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SwampD said:

And some people realize that their personal choice will benefit many others so they take the risk for the benefit others.

And some people say I only care about myself so I won't take the risk, even if it would benefit others.

This is def true. Hey I'm not saying people aren't selfish and etc. Society overall kinda sucks. I'm just getting tired of the berating and judging 24/7, at work, personal life, and on my one release of SS. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

The flu isn’t nearly as deadly so no.  But polio vaccines?  Definitely.  And my kids aren’t allowed in public school without proof of having them (nor was I).

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

People’s bodies were conscripted off of their couches and forced to go get shot at and shot up overseas not terribly long ago.  This generation of anti-vaxxers would make fighting the Nazis an “inherent personal choice.”  

And it goes beyond that with you - it’s one thing to promote sanctity of the body as an overarching end (maybe a bit odd but it’s an ethos I suppose).  But you go even farther here - you seem to cheer on every crackpot on this site who spouts misinformation and bogus fears and it’s beyond bizarre.  I’ve known self-hating lawyers in my profession and you just might be a self-hating doctor.   

Edited by Cascade Youth
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

Yes it’s all a giant conspiracy by Big Pharma and the Democrats with the goal of laying the groundwork for a Green New Deal whereby sweeping life-altering body-controlling job-killing regulations will be passed en masse under the auspices of solving a public health crisis and us sheeple will already be pumped so full of the Govt Similac we will let it all happen.

Something like that right?

Get bent.  Seriously.

EDIT:

Also, the Neville Chamberlains who go around saying “I don’t judge anyone for not getting the vaccine, it’s a personal decision!” can get bent too.  Quit appeasing.  It’s ok to judge the sh- out of mouth-breathing conspiracy-slinging Neanderthals.  Enough is enough with this garbage. 

You are way over the line, IMO.

And just so you know I reported your post above.  There are far better ways to convey your disagreement with someone than resorting to insults and your crap.

People have choices.  Who appointed you the one to dismiss those choices.  It seems that you have also drank the kool-aid.  Just a different flavour than the people who disagree with you.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

People’s bodies were conscripted off of their couches and forced to go get shot at and shot up overseas not terribly long ago.  This generation of anti-vaxxers would make fighting the Nazis an “inherent personal choice.”  

And it goes beyond that with you - it’s one thing to promote sanctity of the body as an overarching end (maybe a bit odd but it’s an ethos I suppose).  But you go even farther here - you seem to cheer on every crackpot on this site who spouts misinformation and bogus fears and it’s beyond bizarre.  I’ve known self-hating lawyers in my profession and you just might be a self-hating doctor.   

Professionals aren’t a cult of a single opinion, lol

Self hating? The self awareness goes beyond you

Edited by triumph_communes

This thread is the worst ever (at least the last several pages).  Much worse than the tank era threads.

What ever happened to the unwritten (unwritten because it should not have to be written) cardinal rule around here of 'making it about the post and not the poster'.

The personal attacks by two posters in here are terrible.  I am really surpirsed by one of them.  The other it's a pattern.

45 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

What the ***** is wrong with you?

Really?  Is something going on?

Yes.  It's called a pandemic.  Maybe you've heard about it up in your idyllic corner of the world, where you can avoid human contact to the point that you can smugly avoid the virus.  Me, I live in a densely populated area.  I think @Cascade Youth said it best:

10 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

No.

Too many people in my state, particularly leaders and those who *should* know better, don't give a ***** about the greater good and it's ridiculous the number of deaths they're causing, 3,768 in my county alone, for instance.  Nova Scotia has managed to keep the death toll down to 94 cases, roughly 1 in 10,000 people.  In my county, one in every 550 people has already died of this disease. 

My wife is immunocompromised.  She's vaccinated but we don't know if her body has built up the same resistance to the disease as a healthy person.  She works as a school teacher.  Our ***** governor is literally putting her in harm's way by forbidding a mask mandate at her school and other measures to slow down the spread of the disease.

So when people actively work against vaccination, the most effective tool against the disease right now, that's what's going on with me.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This thread is the worst ever (at least the last several pages).  Much worse than the tank era threads.

What ever happened to the unwritten (unwritten because it should not have to be written) cardinal rule around here of 'making it about the post and not the poster'.

The personal attacks by two posters in here are terrible.  I am really surpirsed by one of them.  The other it's a pattern.

Okay so based on this, you're one of those two posters:

19 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

What the ***** is wrong with you?

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

It is multitudes times harder to get influenza seated in a room with someone with influenza than it is to get the Covid Delta variant. 

in the worst flu season of the last 20 years about 60ish thousand ppl died. In the last Covid season we were at around 525k ppl. Remember that time flu shutdown not a hospital but basically all hospitals in a state as they were overwhelmed by cases? Nope but Florida is currently out of ICU beds. 

Anytime a person tries to compare Covid to Influenza they make a weak argument that is either willfully ignorant of facts or blindly following someone who is. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It is multitudes times harder to get influenza seated in a room with someone with influenza than it is to get the Covid Delta variant. 

in the worst flu season of the last 20 years about 60ish thousand ppl died. In the last Covid season we were at around 525k ppl. Remember that time flu shutdown not a hospital but basically all hospitals in a state as they were overwhelmed by cases? Nope but Florida is currently out of ICU beds. 

Anytime a person tries to compare Covid to Influenza they make a weak argument that is either willfully ignorant of facts or blindly following someone who is. 

People with the flu are usually sick and stay home so spreading it is difficult. People can have covid and not know it and spread it more easily. I'm also tired of the flu comparisons

• Like (+1) 3