COVID-19

Indabuff

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Your take on previously infected people having antibodies would probably be a higher percentage in anti mask/ anti vax regions.

I am no expert but there are many who were infected and may not have been aware. Combined with a good vaccination rate, those areas would have good immunity in my opinion.

Our county (Tarrant, TX) publishes the numbers and the total rate of infected-recovered is just over 12% of the total population. A chunk of the restaurant workers I know who have managed to work through the pandemic have caught Covid.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Our county (Tarrant, TX) publishes the numbers and the total rate of infected-recovered is just over 12% of the total population. A chunk of the restaurant workers I know who have managed to work through the pandemic have caught Covid.

That is interesting, I haven’t seen that type of tracking in Ontario. There must be some young and healthy people who were infected but didn’t get tested? May be higher than 12% in that case.

Edited by French Collection

The 12% number is the number of cases from which people have recovered, divided by population.  Included in that number are Confirmed and Probable Cases (I guess those are people who were symptomatic but not tested?) which are reported as Recovered.  1.35% of total cases resulted in death (or 1 in 74).  When someone says they don't worry about catching it, to me, I wonder why someone would embrace a 1-in-74 chance of dying.

By the way, if anyone wants to see what I'm looking at, here's the website:  https://www.tarrantcounty.com/en/public-health/disease-control---prevention/COVID-19.html

The county population is 2.1 million.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

How do you ever quantify that group?

Yes, I wonder about that as well.  Maybe we really are at herd immunity because we've had 12% detected infections, maybe another 12% undetected infections (asymptomatic or whatever), and 43% vaccinated.... that would get us to 67% which is pretty close to the requirement for herd immunity.  Of course the undetected bit is a total guess.  Could be 1%, could be 30%.  Who knows?

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The 12% number is the number of cases from which people have recovered, divided by population.  Included in that number are Confirmed and Probable Cases (I guess those are people who were symptomatic but not tested?) which are reported as Recovered.  1.35% of total cases resulted in death (or 1 in 74).  When someone says they don't worry about catching it, to me, I wonder why someone would embrace a 1-in-74 chance of dying.

By the way, if anyone wants to see what I'm looking at, here's the website:  https://www.tarrantcounty.com/en/public-health/disease-control---prevention/COVID-19.html

The county population is 2.1 million.

They are showing probable cases as less than 25% of confirmed cases. Everything I've read with antibody testing is saying that probability cases should be double of confirmed. Unless *probable* means something different to your County other than a wild guess as to how many have had it that have never been tested.

I'm not sure if they will ever share or compile the results of a local blood bank doing free antibody testing in exchange for giving blood, but when I talked to them they where shocked at the high number of positive results of people that thought maybe they had it been never got tested.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Yes, I wonder about that as well.  Maybe we really are at herd immunity because we've had 12% detected infections, maybe another 12% undetected infections (asymptomatic or whatever), and 43% vaccinated.... that would get us to 67% which is pretty close to the requirement for herd immunity.  Of course the undetected bit is a total guess.  Could be 1%, could be 30%.  Who knows?

The only glitch I see in your numbers is that there is a likliehood of significant overlap in the vaccinated group and the COVID antibody group.  WTF knows how much overlap.

• Like (+1) 1

The United Kingdom and the United States are within less than one percent of each other for total percent of the population vaccinated 

US at 42.6 and UK 42.3. 

The UK is averaging 3000 new cases a day, the highest rates since January 2021. 

The Delta Variant is driving the surge in new cases in the UK. 

Right now the Delta Variant only accounts for six percent of the New US Cases, if/when this becomes the predominant strain in the US things might look a little different. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The United Kingdom and the United States are within less than one percent of each other for total percent of the population vaccinated 

US at 42.6 and UK 42.3. 

The UK is averaging 3000 new cases a day, the highest rates since January 2021. 

The Delta Variant is driving the surge in new cases in the UK. 

Right now the Delta Variant only accounts for six percent of the New US Cases, if/when this becomes the predominant strain in the US things might look a little different. 

This is why more ppl needed to get vaccinated faster. Letting virus mutate is a awful idea especially when they spread in a population. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

This is why more ppl needed to get vaccinated faster. Letting virus mutate is a awful idea especially when they spread in a population. 

Absolutely, Pfizer, Moderna and J&J are effective against the Delta Variant, if the virus has 40-45 of the population to mutate in, eventually there is a strong possibility the vaccine will be less effective or even worse ineffective. 

• Like (+1) 1

I had an interesting conversation with a coworker. she said she didn't want to get the vaccine because she didn't know about long term side effects. however she said she had a child in college and they are requesting the vaccine to continue. she said once he gets it at the end of the summer, she will get it too.

Why not now? Why wait

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

I had an interesting conversation with a coworker. she said she didn't want to get the vaccine because she didn't know about long term side effects. however she said she had a child in college and they are requesting the vaccine to continue. she said once he gets it at the end of the summer, she will get it too.

Why not now? Why wait

I don't want to get in the water because there might be a shark.  Oh, you went in the water?  I guess I can too.

Or... if we're going to die from a side effect at least we'll die together.

All I can hypothesize about it.

1 hour ago, BagBoy said:

I'm not saying this to be funny, but I wonder how many non-vaxed ppl are non-vaxed for the single reason that they are scared of needles.

Probably atleast 7.

53 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t know if this can be true.  

Swear, every week there is a patient deathly afraid of a needle stick or IV, but has several tattoos, some even have crazy piercings as well. They claim it feels different. 

I've had IVs and tats so I can somewhat see the reasoning, but the piercings make zero sense 

The new case rate in our county continues to drop.  In January we were seeing almost 3000 new cases per day; in February we were seeing 1000 new cases per day.  In March is was down to 500 per day; April, 200; May 150; and now in June it's below 100.  Only 58 new cases yesterday.  I'm hoping that in the next month or so it will be down to single digits.

The other thing I've been seeing is that even for those who get Covid after being fully vaccinated, it's very rare for them to end up in the hospital.  Here in Texas we are not quite to 40% fully vaccinated, but fully vaxed people comprise well under 1% of people hospitalized with Covid.

Nj looks like its at 63% of people have 1 vaccine and 53% have 2. 

We have about 200 people a day in the state test positive. we were at 4000 per day in March. 

Im not wearing a mask unless required. However I dont go a lot of places. Im fully vaccinated since march 26

Edited by Mike Honcho

I carry a mask with me and usually put it on before entering a building.  Depending on what I see when I go in and why I'm there, I may take it back off (mostly restaurant situations.  Also my workplace no longer requires masks of vaxed employees.)

A grocery store near my house is still vigorously enforcing mask use.... as in if you don't have a mask they say you can't enter, and if you peek your nose out they tell you to cover it back up.  I was surprised because at the beginning of the pandemic this particular store was pretty relaxed about that.

California officially "re-opened" today.  All businesses allowed to fully reopen at full capacity.

Masks no longer required if you're vaccinated, but nobody is allowed to ask if you're vaccinated 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's becoming apparent that the vaccinations are working far better than anyone hoped.  They don't totally prevent a person from getting the virus but it keeps them from getting gravely ill, with very, very few exceptions.  So if you're fully vaxed and don't have regular contact with someone who isn't, or who has a compromised immune system, there's no reason not to open.  And at this point I don't even care who's vaxed and who isn't.

Texas has been loosy-goosy all along and with not even 50% vaxed, cases are way, way, way down.  Unless a variant emerges that gets past the vax, I think we're nearing the end of the pandemic.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

It's becoming apparent that the vaccinations are working far better than anyone hoped.  They don't totally prevent a person from getting the virus but it keeps them from getting gravely ill, with very, very few exceptions.  So if you're fully vaxed and don't have regular contact with someone who isn't, or who has a compromised immune system, there's no reason not to open.  And at this point I don't even care who's vaxed and who isn't.

Texas has been loosy-goosy all along and with not even 50% vaxed, cases are way, way, way down.  Unless a variant emerges that gets past the vax, I think we're nearing the end of the pandemic.

The only concern I have at this point is fully opening with less than heard immunity increases the likelihood of a resistant variant.  But yeah, I'm out in public with 0 stress now.

• Like (+1) 1