COVID-19

Indabuff

16 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Vax-a-million lottery has increased immunization rate 40%.  First drawing tonight.

Coming soon to your state - i mean, if your state wants you to get vaccinated - a vaccination lottery!

I wish after they say that its 1 million in monopoly money or some 3rd world country where there million dollars is equal to 74 cents

16 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Vax-a-million lottery has increased immunization rate 40%.  First drawing tonight.

Coming soon to your state - i mean, if your state wants you to get vaccinated - a vaccination lottery!

Unreal that we have to bribe people $1M to get what is essentially liquid gold for other countries. 

'Hey I know this life saving drug is hard to stomach, especially when it gets your life back to normal and protects everyone around you, so to help you out with this difficult decision we'll give you more money than most people in the world ever see in their lifetime. Sound good?'

Meanwhile in India they're having mass funeral pyres and Joe-Schmo down the street won't take it because he thinks there's microchips in it, which he thinks is true because he read it on his laptop which for sure 100% isn't tracked already anyways, as he chiefs a pack of camals and sips on a Busche latte.

***** unreal man I tell ya lol just absurd

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Unreal that we have to bribe people $1M to get what is essentially liquid gold for other countries. 

'Hey I know this life saving drug is hard to stomach, especially when it gets your life back to normal and protects everyone around you, so to help you out with this difficult decision we'll give you more money than most people in the world ever see in their lifetime. Sound good?'

Meanwhile in India they're having mass funeral pyres and Joe-Schmo down the street won't take it because he thinks there's microchips in it, which he thinks is true because he read it on his laptop which for sure 100% isn't tracked already anyways, as he chiefs a pack of camals and sips on a Busche latte.

I agree, but whatever works I guess.  The lottery ended up being a good idea.  Who knew that an extremely low chance to win a million bucks would be a way to get people to get vaccinated?  This kind of thing works on a large segment of the populace unfortunately.

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

I am disappointed I didn't even get offered a million to inject this liquid gold of protection in to my body. New York, no, Cuomo himself, owes me a cool million. 🙂

24 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I am disappointed I didn't even get offered a million to inject this liquid gold of protection in to my body. New York, no, Cuomo himself, owes me a cool million. 🙂

He'll let you play with his nipple piercings but that's about it

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

This massive gaping head wound is my right as an American!

5 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Who knew that an extremely low chance to win a million bucks would be a way to get people to get vaccinated?  This kind of thing works on a large segment of the populace unfortunately.

Anyone who studies human behavior.  Let's say that instead of giving out 5 million dollars in five 1-million lotteries, they'd given out $5 with every dose.  You'd likely harm the vaccination rate, because people would see that as a bad thing ("Why are you paying me to get this? Something must be wrong with it")

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I never got the sense that MSM treated it as an outrageous theory - just one that wasn't substantiated by the science and facts.

That said, there may be people within the federal government (maybe Fauci among them? I have no idea) who have some serious 'splaining to do.

Do a search on “debunked conspiracy theory” if you want a sense of how the MSM treated it. 

26 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

@JujuFish

It is is clear that Fauci mislead us.  If the SARS-CoV-2 virus is bioengineered, it is almost certain that it came from WIV.  Fauci was in possession of evidence that the virus was bioengineered.  He consistently denied the lab leak theory had any merit.

Being a lab leak does not in any way mean it's engineered.

1 hour ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

Did not say that.  

You said Fauci was in possession of evidence that the virus was engineered and that he misled people about it.  That is simply not consistent with the information that has been provided from the FOIA request.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JujuFish said:

You said Fauci was in possession of evidence that the virus was engineered and that he misled people about it.  That is simply not consistent with the information that has been provided from the FOIA request.

I saw an email that Fauci got from a scientist claiming that the virus was engineered.  The email was from late January, 2020.

52 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

I saw an email that Fauci got from a scientist claiming that the virus was engineered.  The email was from late January, 2020.

Either you're misreading what you've read, or you never read the email. 

I'll help you out.  It's on page 3187 of this document: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/20793561/leopold-nih-foia-anthony-fauci-emails.pdf

Kristian Andersen at the time said 1) the features look potentially engineered and 2) further analyses need to be done.

That same Kristian Andersen and his team then published https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9 wherein they conclude "Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus."

4 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Either you're misreading what you've read, or you never read the email. 

I'll help you out.  It's on page 3187 of this document: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/20793561/leopold-nih-foia-anthony-fauci-emails.pdf

Kristian Andersen at the time said 1) the features look potentially engineered and 2) further analyses need to be done.

That same Kristian Andersen and his team then published https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9 wherein they conclude "Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus."

evelyne brochu aurora GIF by X Company

Of course if you're German (don't know), I guess I need to start calling you "YooyooFish" in my head  😛

we went out to dinner last night for my father in laws memorial. he died in december, but due to covid, we waited until his birthday.

none of the employees at the restaurant wore masks, none of the diners did either. i guess in that area, it felt really weird, but good hopefully. 

That seems to be what it's coming to.

People who want the vaccine have been vaccinated or are getting vaccinated.  Two weeks after completing the shot(s), no more mask.

People who don't want the vaccine probably don't much care about masking either.

New case numbers seem to be coming down, even though we don't have enough people vaccinated to achieve herd immunity (~70%).  I'm going to throw some numbers around, but bear in mind they're not exact, there just conceptual to make a point. 

I think we're close to herd immunity with 40-50% vax rate because the vaccines are doing much better at preventing transmission that anyone hoped.  So for an unvaxxed or otherwise vulnerable person to get Covid, without vaccination they could get exposed to someone who was exposed to someone who was exposed to someone.... if one person in that chain is vaccinated, it stops there.  There's still a fair amount of leaking, but only enough to allow it to smoulder, not enough to expand, and even the smouldering is decreasing.

To do the math, I think they were hopeful a vaccine would be 60% effective or more, and with that we would get to herd immunity with 70% vaccination rate.  So each person, the chance of transmission could be modeled as

.40 (vaccine failure) x .30 (unvaxxed people) = .12

But now we have a 90+% effective vaccine, perhaps as high as 95%, so with 40% vaccination rate, the chance of transmission models as

.10 (vaccine failure) x .60 (unvaxxed people) = .06

(And that doesn't even take into account people who may be protected to some extent by natural immunity from past Covid infection that they survived, which in my county is, at this point, over 12% of the population.)

I think that's why the virus is winding down:  Even with a lower than desired vaccination rate, the vaccine is so effective that it prevents the virus from effectively jumping from infected people to vulnerable people.

Yeah hetd immunity isn't the right term; we're not there yet.  

But numbers are decreasing in spite of low-ish vax rates, and I think that one factor is how unexpectedly effective the vaccine is.  

I played around with some numbers to try to understand why.

Your take on previously infected people having antibodies would probably be a higher percentage in anti mask/ anti vax regions.

I am no expert but there are many who were infected and may not have been aware. Combined with a good vaccination rate, those areas would have good immunity in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah hetd immunity isn't the right term; we're not there yet.  

But numbers are decreasing in spite of low-ish vax rates, and I think that one factor is how unexpectedly effective the vaccine is.  

I played around with some numbers to try to understand why.

It could be that there are a lot of people that may have been exposed that it never impacted. Whether you consider them asymptomatic, having simply never gotten it, etc. 

How do you ever quantify that group?  They're not going to the doctor because either they were never sick or not sick enough that it mattered. They were never tested because they just didn't care.  Or perhaps, they simply just are not impacted at all. I don't even know if that's possible but I would suspect there's some level of exposure at which point the virus could take hold and that level varies for different people and that the level could be very high to the point one might almost consider them immune to it.

• Like (+1) 1