COVID-19

Indabuff

A reasonable position is that A. The pandemic is not over. New daily cases are at first-wave peak levels, when there was great concern, and about 600 people a day are still dying. B. Long-term protection from the vaccine is an unknown, and the first people vaccinated are coming up on five months since getting jabbed. C. There's still a lot we don't know about vaccinated people transmitting the virus. D. We haven't reached national vaccination levels necessary for herd immunity. And even if we do, don't local levels mean more? I live in a county with far too many people who won't get the vaccine. E. 95% isn't 100%.

For maybe a little while longer, keep masking up and do the other easy, common sense things.

It does feel a little like the victory formation in football. There's always Joe Pisarcik to think about.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A reasonable position is that A. The pandemic is not over. New daily cases are at first-wave peak levels, when there was great concern, and about 600 people a day are still dying. B. Long-term protection from the vaccine is an unknown, and the first people vaccinated are coming up on five months since getting jabbed. C. There's still a lot we don't know about vaccinated people transmitting the virus. D. We haven't reached national vaccination levels necessary for herd immunity. And even if we do, don't local levels mean more? I live in a county with far too many people who won't get the vaccine. E. 95% isn't 100%.

For maybe a little while longer, keep masking up and do the other easy, common sense things.

It does feel a little like the victory formation in football. There's always Joe Pisarcik to think about.

The experts at the CDC have given the ok. As one who believes the vaccine to be effective, I’m going to follow the science and pursue the elusive return to normalcy. Those that feel safer masking should do so without suggesting everyone else now ignore the experts/science because not everything is a known. That will never be the case. 

Passive aggressive bullying or insult throwing, to try and force people to group think like you is lame and shallow. In some instances it even shows a persons insecurity of their own beliefs.

Always backfires. People just itching for a fight so they can attempt to shame you. Obvious is obvious. I’m sure some of you see that. And I’m not just talking about the topic of Covid.

If you want to wear a mask if you don’t want to wear a mask… As an adult that’s completely up to you. Comfort level and all. Until it’s no longer up to you like laws, mandates, policies etc. that prohibit certain actions/activities. I’ve long stopped caring about what other people think of my stance on almost any topic. Especially on a stage like a hockey forum 😂.

Some want to wear a mask still. Ok great. I’m not gonna make a sad attempt at pressuring you to not wear one. And I would expect the same respect in return. 👍🏼  Individual comfort level. Everyone’s different. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If you want to wear a mask if you don’t want to wear a mask… As an adult that’s completely up to you. Comfort level and all. Until it’s no longer up to you like laws, mandates, policies etc. that prohibit certain actions/activities.

I didn't quite follow this, and, tbh, I'm not aware of what you've posted elsewhere on the topic. 

As for the piece above, I agree that whether people wear a mask is up to them. I'll add that, if a person is not vaccinated, I expect them to mask and maintain social-distance, and I also expect that they be excluded from things like schools and sporting events/concerts (or, at least as to the latter, if they are admitted, that they be required to attend masked and sit in a designated section).

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Umm...the problem there was that the Giants weren't in victory formation.

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I didn't quite follow this, and, tbh, I'm not aware of what you've posted elsewhere on the topic. 

As for the piece above, I agree that whether people wear a mask is up to them. I'll add that, if a person is not vaccinated, I expect them to mask and maintain social-distance, and I also expect that they be excluded from things like schools and sporting events/concerts (or, at least as to the latter, if they are admitted, that they be required to attend masked and sit in a designated section).

Any leeway for those that have natural immunity? If not, why not?

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Those are reasonable wishes or expectations. Unfortunately as you and I both know… That will absolutely not be followed by everyone.  Nor could it be enforced to any reasonable and effective degree.

12 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Any leeway for those that have natural immunity? If not, why not?

I don't know enough to have an opinion on that.

I think I heard it said that the immunity conferred by the vaccination is substantially better than what will arise naturally from having warded off the virus. If true, then no leeway AFAIC.

12 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Those are reasonable wishes or expectations. Unfortunately as you and I both know… That will absolutely not be followed by everyone.  Nor could it be enforced to any reasonable and effective degree.

How so?

The Blue Jays game is going to have vaccinated sections and unvaccinated sections. I am expecting some (most?) state governments to require a COVID-19 vaccination in order for kids to return to in-school learning (in much the same way as those kids must have a variety of other vaccinations in order to enroll).

OTOH: There was a concert out west that I had planned to attend this summer, but I've opted out once I learned that the venue would be at full capacity, but that there would be no screening for vax'd status and that masking would be done on the honour system. (So, I'm not getting what I want there, but at least I can make the choice to avoid it.)

Updated to say: Just saw the Tweets about Met Life Stadium going back to full capacity. No mention of whether vax status will play a role in gaining admission. Sooner than later, looks like I may need to trust my vax'd status and accept whatever (undoubtedly modest) risks come from being exposed to variants.

I am going out tomorrow into that big bad world very early in the morning to avoid the crowds.

Will be double masked.  Yup.

COVID is a big problem here in Halifax now and has been for about 6 weeks ... basically since March break.  Still in lockdown until at least mid-June.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I am going out tomorrow into that big bad world very early in the morning to avoid the crowds.

Will be double masked.  Yup.

COVID is a big problem here in Halifax now and has been for about 6 weeks ... basically since March break.  Still in lockdown until at least mid-June.

You have the vaccine or plan on getting it NS?

My workplace just started this week with the policy that if you have been fully vaccinated, you don’t need to wear a mask.  So now most are not wearing masks.  I don’t love it, but totally understand the need to return to normal.  I’m fully vaccinated but I’m still wearing for now.  

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

My workplace just started this week with the policy that if you have been fully vaccinated, you don’t need to wear a mask.  So now most are not wearing masks.  I don’t love it, but totally understand the need to return to normal.  I’m fully vaccinated but I’m still wearing for now.  

Did your workplace demand proof of vaccination or are they giving everyone the benefit of the doubt that those who claim to be fully vaccinated, are. 
Seems like it’s hit or miss.

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

I had to work with a guy who was sneezing and snorting and coughing, but because, “it’s not Covid,” apparently it’s okay.

Stay the ***** home if you are sick.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Did your workplace demand proof of vaccination or are they giving everyone the benefit of the doubt that those who claim to be fully vaccinated, are. 

They are requiring proof of vaccination, which is good.

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I had to work with a guy who was sneezing and snorting and coughing, but because, “it’s not Covid,” apparently it’s okay.

I have seasonal allergies that flare up pretty bad at times.  I’ve had days the past couple weeks that I’ve been pretty sneezy, coughy, and occasionally a little snorty even though I’ve not been sick.  Not necessarily saying that’s the case with your guy though.

Edited by Curt

22 minutes ago, SwampD said:

i hate when people come to work sick. like i want to get your damn cold

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

My workplace requires self-attestation on a confidential company website.  If you digitally sign that and it turns out you're not vaxed, they can fire you.  When you sign it says, "I understand that dishonesty related to my vaccination status may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment."  It will be interesting to see how they enforce it.

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

My workplace requires self-attestation on a confidential company website.  If you digitally sign that and it turns out you're not vaxed, they can fire you.  When you sign it says, "I understand that dishonesty related to my vaccination status may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment."  It will be interesting to see how they enforce it.

I can see the other side of the argument too. Both are very valid IMO.

Does a business have a right to ask personal medical info? Do you have the Flu shot because the flu can kill people. Do you have an STD because that can greatly harm or if left untreated, kill people if they contract it from you. Do you have a disease that can alter or degrade your job performance? Degraded job performance can hurt profits, and hurt or kill fellow workers. Taking anything for mental instability of any kind? Have you in the past?  I just wonder when all this shakes out, if people who are fired for refusing the shot, or refuse to answer if they got the shot or any medical question because it’s personal medical business of theirs…I wonder if they will have a legal leg to stand on. Or do private businesses have all the right to ask AND get answered all of their questions. 
It’s gonna be interesting….  Crystal ball predictions mean nothing as of now. Kinda boils down to freedom, privacy and reasonable public safety and public health at large. After all the name calling and accusations fade away … Yep, it’s gonna be interesting. 😂

*mandatory popcorn eating gif*