COVID-19

Indabuff

CHICAGO -- Cubs president Jed Hoyer says he's "disappointed" his team isn't likely to reach the 85% vaccination threshold that leads to reduced COVID-19 regulations.

"It's disappointing to not be at 85% as a team," Hoyer said Thursday morning. "We've worked hard to try and convince or educate the people that have been reluctant. We're at a place right now -- I'm not going to give up hope we're going to get there -- my level of optimism is waning. It is disappointing."

About half the teams in Major League Baseball have reached the threshold and qualify for looser restrictions, such as the elimination of mask-wearing and the ability to use shared spaces in clubhouses, indoor and outdoor dining and many other everyday life activities.

"There are conveniences that come with getting to 85% as a group," Hoyer said. "Mask-wearing, dining and things like that, that we would all like to have."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31478397/jed-hoyer-disappointed-chicago-cubs-not-reaching-85-covid-19-vaccination-threshold

The players on the Cubs who refuse to get vaccinated are adversely affecting everyone else on the team.  If I was one of the vaccinated players, I'm pretty sure I would be resentful of my non-vaxed teammates.  This can't be a good situation team morale-wise.  It even makes me wonder if management might consider getting rid of some of the non-vaxers.

On 5/20/2021 at 1:54 PM, darksabre said:

It's insane that this needs to be incentivized though. Self-preservation is apparently not enough of a motivator.

Ohio is doing a lottery, the "vax-a-million".  5 weekly drawings for a million bucks for an adult and a full scholarship to college for minors.  Vaccinated people only.  Vax rates have increased 28% since "vax-a-million" was announced.

Here’s something for you guys to chew on. The National Institutes of Health (NIH)  helped fund the development of the Moderna vaccine and was a site in their trial. We are people who generally “believe in science” because it’s what we do. The NIH is mostly based in suburban Maryland, but do have operations in NC and Montana, is only reporting 65% of their employees vaccinated. Montgomery county, where the NIH is based, is a solid Blue county. Here, vaccine acceptance is not a political issue, maybe not even an educational issue. I’m not quite sure why many (35%) are shunning the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Here’s something for you guys to chew on. The National Institutes of Health (NIH)  helped fund the development of the Moderna vaccine and was a site in their trial. We are people who generally “believe in science” because it’s what we do. The NIH is mostly based in suburban Maryland, but do have operations in NC and Montana, is only reporting 65% of their employees vaccinated. Montgomery county, where the NIH is based, is a solid Blue county. Here, vaccine acceptance is not a political issue, maybe not even an educational issue. I’m not quite sure why many (35%) are shunning the vaccine. 

Source for these assertions?

10 hours ago, BagBoy said:

CHICAGO -- Cubs president Jed Hoyer says he's "disappointed" his team isn't likely to reach the 85% vaccination threshold that leads to reduced COVID-19 regulations.

"It's disappointing to not be at 85% as a team," Hoyer said Thursday morning. "We've worked hard to try and convince or educate the people that have been reluctant. We're at a place right now -- I'm not going to give up hope we're going to get there -- my level of optimism is waning. It is disappointing."

About half the teams in Major League Baseball have reached the threshold and qualify for looser restrictions, such as the elimination of mask-wearing and the ability to use shared spaces in clubhouses, indoor and outdoor dining and many other everyday life activities.

"There are conveniences that come with getting to 85% as a group," Hoyer said. "Mask-wearing, dining and things like that, that we would all like to have."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31478397/jed-hoyer-disappointed-chicago-cubs-not-reaching-85-covid-19-vaccination-threshold

The players on the Cubs who refuse to get vaccinated are adversely affecting everyone else on the team.  If I was one of the vaccinated players, I'm pretty sure I would be resentful of my non-vaxed teammates.  This can't be a good situation team morale-wise.  It even makes me wonder if management might consider getting rid of some of the non-vaxers.

Cf. Josh Allen and Cole Beasley.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, nfreeman said:

But what kind of average would be relevant here?  i.e. if the question is how many people have been vaccinated in a given place, what average would matter?

No -- it's pretty close and I'm glad that NYC has closed the gap relative to a couple of weeks ago.  My point was just that I was surprised that mask compliance on the subway was essentially 100% since NYC isn't especially high in vaccination rate.

We could look at metro Areas of a certain size, or states of a certain size and % of population vaccinated and then average all those we include up to see where NYC stacks up. 

25 minutes ago, kas23 said:

8EAE5CED-7F65-4BC3-A0F6-E46DEA6A472A.jpeg

It’s from a recent internal email. 

You call it an email, I call it a screenshot.  No source data, nothing.

And it doesn't say each site is at 65% individually.  You inferred that.

33 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You call it an email, I call it a screenshot.  No source data, nothing.

And it doesn't say each site is at 65% individually.  You inferred that.

PM’d you proof. I never said each site is at 65%. I don’t have that data. 

58 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Right but it's assumed in your argument with the solidly blue and all that.

The vast majority of NIH employees work in Bethesda, MD. For example, I believe there are about 750 employees in NC and 450 in Montana. In Bethesda, we have over 25,000 people just on our main campus. We also have multiple units within the surrounding community (Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Bethesda).

Nevertheless, I’ve made it fairly clear that my numbers are accurate. 

This really isn’t a political debate. Our media has made it sound like one, but as long as we continue to believe it is, then we are not going to reach 95% vaccination rates (assuming 5% have a medical contraindication). A more important issue, and one that our leadership is dancing around, is that minorities are less likely to be vaccinated. That said, it’s not very surprising that the African American community distrusts the medical establishment. 

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

You're the one that brought the political angle into it.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make. 

Well, @kas23 can certainly speak for himself, but I think his point was that even the NIH, which is largely made up of healthcare professionals, has only a 65% vaccination rate -- so regardless of the reason, it seems pretty clear that there is a real portion of the population that is reticent to take the vaccine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Why?

For all our lives isn’t being maskless the natural state? I prefer the natural state to having something strapped to my face. It’s also nice to see the faces and smiles of fellow human beings out and about. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Why?

I’ve had people railing against masks twenty years before Covid. We wear them while working in hostile environments as PPE. “They are saving your lives and preserving your health” I would tell them. How can you argue with someone’s lack of understanding? 
Not only would these pumpkin heads not wear the PPE correctly, they wouldn’t even follow decon protocols and bring all those toxins right home to their homes and families! I even caught a guy draining the gray water tank from decon right into a city street! 

You want to know the really funny part? When I send them packing for failure to comply they bark about “freedom!”. I take great pleasure reminding them(as someone should have already taught them this tidbit) that “freedom means we are free from oppression, not free from obligation.”

I’ll also add that that freedom from oppression isn’t free either. Lots of hard work and personal sacrifice involved in preserving that. Go figure. 

I’m not saying that you can’t be a cruel heartless bastard either. Be whatever you want to be just don’t be so surprised when there are consequences as a result.

Food for thought if you’re the type for that sort of thing. If not? That’s fine too. Just stay a fathom or so away from me.😉

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I was just curious why it was so nice. I can't relate. Wearing a mask was a turdburger for me. I'd have no issue continuing to wear one. If anything I think I'd feel weird at first.

Last week I was definitely doing the "look around, see what the vibe is" thing, but then over the weekend while moving houses I ran entirely out of f*cks to give and stopped checking.

A lot of people are still masked up and that's totally fine with me. But I'm comfortable not wearing one anymore and so that's how it's going to be.

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I’ve had people railing against masks twenty years before Covid. We wear them while working in hostile environments as PPE. “They are saving your lives and preserving your health” I would tell them. How can you argue with someone’s lack of understanding? 
Not only would these pumpkin heads not wear the PPE correctly, they wouldn’t even follow decon protocols and bring all those toxins right home to their homes and families! I even caught a guy draining the gray water tank from decon right into a city street! 

You want to know the really funny part? When I send them packing for failure to comply they bark about “freedom!”. I take great pleasure reminding them(as someone should have already taught them this tidbit) that “freedom means we are free from oppression, not free from obligation.”

I’ll also add that that freedom from oppression isn’t free either. Lots of hard work and personal sacrifice involved in preserving that. Go figure. 

I’m not saying that you can’t be a cruel heartless bastard either. Be whatever you want to be just don’t be so surprised when there are consequences as a result.

Food for thought if you’re the type for that sort of thing. If not? That’s fine too. Just stay a fathom or so away from me.😉

I'm always stunned by the guys who don't want to wear the PPE when dealing with hazardous stuff. Like, yeah it's uncomfortable, but it's better than killing yourself to make someone else rich.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Today I no longer have to wear a mask at work. I’m pretty stoked because it’s ***** hot in there 

Yeah that's coming where I work.  But only for the vaxed.  It will be interesting to see if the antivaxers give in.