COVID-19

Indabuff

#cametovent

Absolutely devastated this morning. Work phoned to tell me that a child in my class was last night diagnosed COVID positive so back to self isolation and remote learning goes I. My isolation period means I have to reschedule my vaccine appointment.  

Boss has promised the rest of my classes that I will be teaching from home, but has not actually made any mention of how the kids will access their lessons. Our classrooms have projectors attached to pc. But no camera or microphone to facilitate any kid of interaction. I have 13 classes of 11 years old and younger, but we barely have a 1 class set of devices for them to use. ***** knows what they are planning. 

On top of this they are still expecting report cards done, end of year testing done (and marked and entered into database) next week. Well ***** me, I'm no genius but even I can see that stretching things.  

After following all protocols and procedures for over a year, someone else's negligence has fucjed me over. No surprise that over here in Glasgow we are having an upturn in new cases. This new "Indian variant" seems to be dominant in new cases now. Hope to sh!t that our vaccines work on it. Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh.

Apologies, I just needed to vent there.

Angry Cat GIF by LEGO

I did read online that the vaccine works with the Indian variant. however it could be completely incorrect because its the internet and there is no requirement to verify facts anymore 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

#cametovent

Absolutely devastated this morning. Work phoned to tell me that a child in my class was last night diagnosed COVID positive so back to self isolation and remote learning goes I. My isolation period means I have to reschedule my vaccine appointment.  

Boss has promised the rest of my classes that I will be teaching from home, but has not actually made any mention of how the kids will access their lessons. Our classrooms have projectors attached to pc. But no camera or microphone to facilitate any kid of interaction. I have 13 classes of 11 years old and younger, but we barely have a 1 class set of devices for them to use. ***** knows what they are planning. 

On top of this they are still expecting report cards done, end of year testing done (and marked and entered into database) next week. Well ***** me, I'm no genius but even I can see that stretching things.  

After following all protocols and procedures for over a year, someone else's negligence has fucjed me over. No surprise that over here in Glasgow we are having an upturn in new cases. This new "Indian variant" seems to be dominant in new cases now. Hope to sh!t that our vaccines work on it. Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh.

Apologies, I just needed to vent there.

Angry Cat GIF by LEGO

That sucks.  Here in Texas, our illustrious governor has PROHIBITED mandated mask use in public schools beginning next month.  That's right, schools cannot require mask use by students or teachers.

• Sad 1

I've been tracking our county in Texas, from the standpoint of what are your odds of contracting Covid on a given day.  Based on the latest metrics I have a one-in-13,000 chance of getting Covid on a given day.  I'll be happy when it's about one-in-250,000.  That basically means single digit positive cases each day.

58 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I've been tracking our county in Texas, from the standpoint of what are your odds of contracting Covid on a given day.  Based on the latest metrics I have a one-in-13,000 chance of getting Covid on a given day.  I'll be happy when it's about one-in-250,000.  That basically means single digit positive cases each day.

Are you vaccinated?  If you are, you have the odds you want.

36 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Are you vaccinated?  If you are, you have the odds you want.

Yes I am and yes I understand that, but I tend toward the conservative assumptions (i.e., not expecting the vax to be fully effective, etc.)  I'll be happy when it's not even a concern.

My 16 year old had his 2nd shot and my 14 year old had her first shot last Saturday.  On June 5th, when my youngest has her 2nd, I will have vaccinated everyone I can legally vaccinate.  Rest is up to you guys. 

• Like (+1) 2

The argument on masks is going around our youth baseball board group now.  Parents are complaining to us about it, citing the CDC and NYS.  Nevermind the fact that EVERY SINGLE CHILD on the fields playing cannot be vaccinated.  Ugh.

My company just launched a $100 bonus in the paycheck for anyone who self-reports as vaccinated and are handing out 10 $15,000 awards from all of those who report their vaccination.  Hell yeah I am in.  10 chances out of 13,000 employees to win $15k? 

Now that's how you get it done.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, LTS said:

The argument on masks is going around our youth baseball board group now.  Parents are complaining to us about it, citing the CDC and NYS.  Nevermind the fact that EVERY SINGLE CHILD on the fields playing cannot be vaccinated.  Ugh.

My company just launched a $100 bonus in the paycheck for anyone who self-reports as vaccinated and are handing out 10 $15,000 awards from all of those who report their vaccination.  Hell yeah I am in.  10 chances out of 13,000 employees to win $15k? 

Now that's how you get it done.

It's insane that this needs to be incentivized though. Self-preservation is apparently not enough of a motivator.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, darksabre said:

It's insane that this needs to be incentivized though. Self-preservation is apparently not enough of a motivator.

My company has large operations in rural areas. We have a large amount of people who were in and our of people's homes on a routine basis.  We had less than 10 COVID related deaths (although many work hours lost because of it).  I'm thinking many of them looked at that and drew the conclusions they did.  That said, the company didn't announce this straight away.  It was only announced this morning, although it does apply to all who have been vaccinated.

I get the thought, but at this point if it helps get it done, it helps get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

I gotta say, it feels really good to have my entire family completely vaccinated, even my daughter, who has had negative reactions to vaccines in the past.

Dying from Covid now seems like a choice, and I’m finding it hard to care about those who choose it.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

My 16 year old had his 2nd shot and my 14 year old had her first shot last Saturday.  On June 5th, when my youngest has her 2nd, I will have vaccinated everyone I can legally vaccinate.  Rest is up to you guys. 

Me too early June my 16 year old has been done for a month and 14 year old has had his first.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Dying from Covid now seems like a choice, and I’m finding it hard to care about those who choose it.

On the one hand I agree, but on the other I worry about people who can genuinely not take the vaccine for medical reasons (or for whom the vax doesn't work such as organ recipients on immunodepressants).  There are legit groups for which the vax is not an answer, and it pisses me off that the Freedumb Forum doesn't care about them, as if having a kidney transplant was a choice.

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

On the one hand I agree, but on the other I worry about people who can genuinely not take the vaccine for medical reasons (or for whom the vax doesn't work such as organ recipients on immunodepressants).  There are legit groups for which the vax is not an answer, and it pisses me off that the Freedumb Forum doesn't care about them, as if having a kidney transplant was a choice.

I care about those people. They didn’t choose their situation.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Life is full of shite deals.  These people and situations have existed before COVID and had the risks.  I wouldn't necessarily classify people who don't want to wear masks as Freedumb.  Before COVID did you wear a mask to protect these people?   None of us did and we know it, and those people were still at risk.

Perhaps you are not referring to people who don't want to wear masks now that they are vaccinated and some other group?

20 hours ago, SwampD said:

I care about those people. They didn’t choose their situation.

I care about them too.  They don't get to choose their situation, but can you accommodate everyone who has some level of severe risk? It's like a friend of ours whose child is severely allergic to dairy. As in, touch it and beeline to the hospital.  It's in the air, beeline to the hospital.  It's insane to think they have to deal with that. However, is it reasonable to expect people, in general populous settings, would stop with dairy products?  You could even look at peanut products in the same way.  They know this, they deal with it, their poor child will always have to deal with it and it sucks.. but it is reality.

If a person is at that level of risk then isn't staying out of the general populous the right decision?  COVID is just one threat and I'm not sure I would rely on a mask to be all that's keeping me safe from others. I'm pretty sure many places are not sanitizing all that well and never were.

I think, on the bright side, society may have become more tolerant and empathetic towards the welfare of others during COVID.  It's certainly not going to be a full on slide but the fact that so many people did, willingly, wear a mask for so long really does say something.  Perhaps things will continue to improve across the board but I'm not sure at where that point ends up when it comes to things like wearing a mask in the general populous if you are vaccinated.

• Like (+1) 2

So, now that I'm vaccinated, I've started going back in to my office, which I'm very happy about, as I do not particularly enjoy working from home.  This means taking the NYC subway again, which I didn't do at all for about 14 months.  I can report that just about 100% of everyone on the subway trains I've been on has been wearing a mask.  Moreover, I've only seen one person not wearing it correctly (i.e. below the nose) -- everyone else is fully mask-compliant.

I find this pretty interesting, as vaccination rates in NYC are below the national average.  I'll be curious to see whether it lasts.

Separately, the Nets are selling some of the nosebleed seats for next week's playoff games at 50% off for those with proof of vaccination.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So, now that I'm vaccinated, I've started going back in to my office, which I'm very happy about, as I do not particularly enjoy working from home.  This means taking the NYC subway again, which I didn't do at all for about 14 months.  I can report that just about 100% of everyone on the subway trains I've been on has been wearing a mask.  Moreover, I've only seen one person not wearing it correctly (i.e. below the nose) -- everyone else is fully mask-compliant.

I find this pretty interesting, as vaccination rates in NYC are below the national average.  I'll be curious to see whether it lasts.

Separately, the Nets are selling some of the nosebleed seats for next week's playoff games at 50% off for those with proof of vaccination.

What's the national average and what's NYC at. 

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

National total — 60.8%of adults have received at least 1 dose — https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

NYC — 60% — https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data-vaccines.page

Thxs. That's not averages though. That's the count, 60.8% of the population >17 has received 1 dose. 

In NYC specifically that number is 60% but again that's a percentage of the population not a mean.

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

National total — 60.8%of adults have received at least 1 dose — https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

NYC — 60% — https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data-vaccines.page

Not really an order of magnitude in the difference there, is it?

Edited by Eleven

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Thxs. That's not averages though. That's the count, 60.8% of the population >17 has received 1 dose. 

In NYC specifically that number is 60% but again that's a percentage of the population not a mean.

But what kind of average would be relevant here?  i.e. if the question is how many people have been vaccinated in a given place, what average would matter?

39 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Not really an order of magnitude in the difference there, is it?

No -- it's pretty close and I'm glad that NYC has closed the gap relative to a couple of weeks ago.  My point was just that I was surprised that mask compliance on the subway was essentially 100% since NYC isn't especially high in vaccination rate.