COVID-19

Indabuff

5 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Depends on the situation, I guess.  My roommate is a teacher and has like 10 weeks off for summer.  And I'm always first out the door and last back, despite living 3 minutes away from work, so she also works fewer hours each week.  And then there's several vacation weeks each year, including "February vacation".

Yeah, they have a great work schedule.  They do work more than 180 days, but it’s still a fantastic schedule.  It’s probably the best thing about working in the school system, apart from a passion for working with/teaching kids.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Looks like Bill had better move quickly if he wants to microchip Melinda.

Don’t fool yourself.  She’s no doubt been microchipped for a couple decades already.

• Haha (+1) 2

My wifes company has now required all employees return to work in the office. No exceptions. well, except for a couple of managers, of course

My wife was saying one of the employees has medical conditions and is having a bad time with the madk being on all day. She is very nervous about catching covid and she spoke to hr, and they told her too bad. 

Very compassionate 

Edited by Mike Honcho

12 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

My wifes company has now required all employees return to work in the office. No exceptions. well, except for a couple of managers, of course

My wife was saying one of the employees has medical conditions and is having a bad time with the madk being on all day. She is very nervous about catching covid and she spoke to hr, and they told her too bad. 

Very compassionate 

Not to sound too cold, but a lot of people have had to go in to work every day straight through this whole thing.

I certainly understand the anxiety though and companies should be as accommodating as possible for someone with a diagnosed medical condition.

8 hours ago, Curt said:

Not to sound too cold, but a lot of people have had to go in to work every day straight through this whole thing.

I certainly understand the anxiety though and companies should be as accommodating as possible for someone with a diagnosed medical condition.

My wife has been required to go in evry day. It was just a skeleton crew at the time. Now its a full staff

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Curt said:

I see it as a blessing in disguise that my teacher wife (who has immune system issues and asthma) had a tough rehab after her December knee replacement.  She was at home all through the local peak in Jan-Feb.  Yeah, she didn't get paid once her PTO ran out but her exposure was minimized and by the time she returned she was vaxed.

Among her specific concerns was that her school has many classrooms that have no windows (still can't figure out how they can do that), so pretty much all the air is, by definition, recirculated.  Also, although students were told to wear masks, the administration didn't really enforce it (since the principal herself is an anti-masker/anti-vaxer), and class sizes meant that 6 feet of separation was not possible.

If everyone took the virus seriously, these concerns would not be as great since people would have all been taking precautions, but the people who are lax about masks, etc., are also the ones most likely to be carrying the virus.

Cases locally have been reduced a great deal, from 3000+ new cases daily in January to 97 yesterday.  I am encouraged by the reduction, and I think the number of vaccinations is helping, but I'll feel better when that number is flirting with zero and new community spread cases are rare.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

NFL will give out Superbowl tickets to encourage vaccinations. 

I think I like this kind of thing as a way of exposing how shallow the opposition to vaccines is for most (the vast majority?). I have a brother who won't get vaccinated because "no one's gonna tell me what to do." It wouldn't take much more than a free dinner at a nice Italian restaurant to change his mind. Super Bowl. NASCAR tickets. Chik Fil A and Cracker Barrel coupons. Ammo. Let 'er rip.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I think I like this kind of thing as a way of exposing how shallow the opposition to vaccines is for most (the vast majority?). I have a brother who won't get vaccinated because "no one's gonna tell me what to do." It wouldn't take much more than a free dinner at a nice Italian restaurant to change his mind. Super Bowl. NASCAR tickets. Chik Fil A and Cracker Barrel coupons. Ammo. Let 'er rip.

Nascar would be a good partner. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Nascar would be a good partner. 

Well, NYC isn't exactly NASCAR country, and vaccine rates here are below the national average, so you might want to check your facts before assuming it's all just dumb rednecks who aren't getting vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, NYC isn't exactly NASCAR country, and vaccine rates here are below the national average, so you might want to check your facts before assuming it's all just dumb rednecks who aren't getting vaccinated.

Are you assuming NASCAR fans are dumb rednecks?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

THEATER TICKETS then!

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Well the Venn Diagram would probably have a lot of overlap, yeah.

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No.  Did you not mean to make a dumb redneck implication when you said this:

NASCAR tickets. Chik Fil A and Cracker Barrel coupons. Ammo. Let 'er rip.

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Yea to hell with you. I said Nascar after I also saying NFL/Superbowl. NHL, MLS, and NBA should also all get involved. But hey I already know you are sensitive and overreact to certain topics. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No.  Did you not mean to make a dumb redneck implication when you said this:

No. It's the target demographic. Do you not think it would be smart to go into certain parts of the country where vaccination rates are low and offer a box of shotgun shells with each jab (two boxes)? Philosophical and political opposition the vaccine would be moot for many of these very smart, sensible, educated folks.

NYC would be a bad venue to use Nascar in. Would need to look at other avenues. NBA and NFL would be good venues in NYC. Of course NFREEMAN maybe if certain ppl weren't running around on tv saying Covid is a hoax and don't get the vaccine we wouldn't ***** be having this conversation. 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea to hell with you. I said Nascar after I also saying NFL/Superbowl. NHL, MLS, and NBA should also all get involved. But hey I already know you are sensitive and overreact to certain topics. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

NYC would be a bad venue to use Nascar in. Would need to look at other avenues. NBA and NFL would be good venues in NYC. Of course NFREEMAN maybe if certain ppl weren't running around on tv saying Covid is a hoax and don't get the vaccine we wouldn't ***** be having this conversation. 

I wonder if you'll ever be able to have a conversation with someone who disagrees with you without getting hysterical?

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No. It's the target demographic. Do you not think it would be smart to go into certain parts of the country where vaccination rates are low and offer a box of shotgun shells with each jab (two boxes)? Philosophical and political opposition the vaccine would be moot for many of these very smart, sensible, educated folks.

I agree that it would be effective.  It did seem likely that you were making a dumb redneck implication given the bolded as well as your past statements in that vein, but hopefully not.

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I wonder if you'll ever be able to have a conversation with someone who disagrees with you without getting hysterical?

Ah you are pulling out that playbook, this is why we don't interact anymore. I wonder if you will ever be able to admit that you are biased as hell. Probably not. 

I also love how you have now made 2 assumptions about things I have posted without knowing anything. 1) that I was calling Nascar fans rednecks and 2) that I was being hysterical. 

You weren't disagreeing with me but instead you were making trying to make a political point. You can gaslight and distort and lie around here all you want but I won't fall for your schtick. Nascar is a good venue to help vaccine uptake, it wouldn't work for NYC. That isn't a disagreement but see you are trying to reframe it like that to make yourself the victim, being attacked. Did you learn that from Tucker Carlson, surprised you did not add some type of crappy question at the end too. "Are we really going to let these woke ppl pander to us by using nascar?" Was all you were missing. 

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So you do not believe that NASCAR would be a good partner to help with vaccine uptake? 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

As if anywhere has any ammo to give away 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

To quote you... 

How so?  Please be specific and provide links.

Edited by LGR4GM