COVID-19

Indabuff

39 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Click the link next time. 

I did. I was speaking in the broad sense about the topic and how frustrated it is to read about ppl who buy in.  Sorry, I wasn't clear in my response. Was not directed at you. 

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Don’t stem cells originate in embryos? Maybe I’m that dumb. 

Not all of them originate in aborted fetuses.  There are lots of ways that a gestating human might not be born, and there are people here who have experienced that in an involuntary manner.  In other words, there are potential mothers who chose to have a child but were not able to.

36 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Not all of them originate in aborted fetuses.  There are lots of ways that a gestating human might not be born, and there are people here who have experienced that in an involuntary manner.  In other words, there are potential mothers who chose to have a child but were not able to.

Also, as @SwampD pointed out, stem cells are routinely donated to research from umbilical cords after completely normal births in a way that doesn’t harm anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Also, as @SwampD pointed out, stem cells are routinely donated to research from umbilical cords after completely normal births in a way that doesn’t harm anyone.

And now they can make them out of embryonic skin cells not from a fetus...

hey remember when we put lead in gas? Remember how lead companies "donated" to science research and politicians to make it seem like science was on the side of dispersing lead into the air being fine?

Funny how in our new modern digital age we have moved on to vaccines are bad for you and that big tech is injecting us with trackers with them...

The J&J vaccine is made from a cell line that was from an 18-week old aborted fetus...from 1985. Embryonic cells are used to mass produce the engineered virus the J&J vaccine uses, and then filtered out of the final product. No new fetal tissue is needed. Babies aren't dying for this vaccine, nor is there any fetal tissue in the product.

Im all for getting free *****, but asking to get paid to make myself safe has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I can get the shot and severely reduce my risk of dying or i will hold out and take my chances unless i get paid

Should be called United states of idiots

https://www.yahoo.com/news/100-vaccine-incentive-experiment-suggests-115743715.html

Edited by Mike Honcho
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Im all for getting free *****, but asking to get paid to make myself safe has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I can get the shot and severely reduce my risk of dying or i will hold out and take my chances unless i get paid

https://www.yahoo.com/news/100-vaccine-incentive-experiment-suggests-115743715.html

Just north of here, people would pay to get the vaccine if they could.  India is out of hospitals and has turned parking lots into mass funeral pyres.

Meanwhile, we have morons making up and spreading lies about microchips and autism, and incentives to get vaccinated.

Really, we can be spoiled brats sometimes.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Just north of here, people would pay to get the vaccine if they could.  India is out of hospitals and has turned parking lots into mass funeral pyres.

Meanwhile, we have morons making up and spreading lies about microchips and autism, and incentives to get vaccinated.

Really, we can be spoiled brats sometimes.

The United States has spent the last 50 years aggressively defunding education. States like Indiana now have teacher shortages because who wants to have to get a 4 year degree (40k in debt) to make 32k a year. The math doesn't work and yet we are surprised that large swaths of the populous thinks vaccines don't work. 

4960050_0.jpg

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The United States has spent the last 50 years aggressively defunding education. States like Indiana now have teacher shortages because who wants to have to get a 4 year degree (40k in debt) to make 32k a year. The math doesn't work and yet we are surprised that large swaths of the populous thinks vaccines don't work. 

I dont want to say anything negative about teaching because its a thankless job. However, teachers work 180 days per year

Regular workers have 262 days. Excluding holidays and sick days, if teachers worked the same numbers of days, 32k becomes much closer to 50k, which is good. 

If school went full year round like regular workers have to deal with is what im getting at

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

I dont want to say anything negative about teaching because its a thankless job. However, teachers work 180 days per year

Regular workers have 262 days. Excluding holidays and sick days, if teachers worked the same numbers of days, 32k becomes much closer to 50k, which is good. 

If school went full year round like regular workers have to deal with is what im getting at

My teacher wife gets three weeks off over the summer on average.  That's it.  There's usually mandatory training, pre-year planning, and some other stuff that I don't recall.  But basically we both get three weeks per year vacation, only I get to pick when mine is.

Also, with grading and planning and everything else she does during the school year, she puts in a 50-60 hour week during the school year.  By the time we get to this time of year she's totally spent and just trying to make it to the end.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My wife and I just had our 2nd moderna shots at a walk-up site that required zero waiting and then an A-plus NYC lunch to celebrate.  The sun came out as we sat down and it’s turning into a nice day.

My daughter is getting her 2nd Pfizer shot next week and we are going to try to attend a Nets playoff game after her 2 weeks are up.

Life!

Hallelujah.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

My teacher wife gets three weeks off over the summer on average.  That's it.  There's usually mandatory training, pre-year planning, and some other stuff that I don't recall.  But basically we both get three weeks per year vacation, only I get to pick when mine is.

Yeah, I was just going to say something similar.  They do have a pretty nice schedule for family life, being off all holidays and a lot of the summer when kids are, but they certainly work more than 180 days per year.  They do a lot of prep work in the summer and they have some mandatory meeting/trainings.

20 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I think you know this but I want to say it anyways. There is so much illogical nonsense with comparing a teacher to what I assume is a 9-5 worker. I don't want to get into this but this type of thinking, hours worked = pay, is the exact type of issue we have as a country. We equate hours instead of output with working. You are basically saying teachers should get 2nd jobs because they don't do enough. 

I'd bet money teachers do more work in a day than a lot of 40 hour a week ppl. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We are not even accounting for prep, grading, and pd which many teachers do outside of their work week.

Or the supplies they pay for out of their own pockets?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Anyone who says teachers only work 9 months of the year doesn't know what they're talking about.

Depends on the situation, I guess.  My roommate is a teacher and has like 10 weeks off for summer.  And I'm always first out the door and last back, despite living 3 minutes away from work, so she also works fewer hours each week.  And then there's several vacation weeks each year, including "February vacation".

7 hours ago, JujuFish said:

The J&J vaccine is made from a cell line that was from an 18-week old aborted fetus...from 1985. Embryonic cells are used to mass produce the engineered virus the J&J vaccine uses, and then filtered out of the final product. No new fetal tissue is needed. Babies aren't dying for this vaccine, nor is there any fetal tissue in the product.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Even so, I can see why someone might not want that put into their body.

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

They should have just tied it to the stimulus check.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I didn't mean to insult anyone on my teacher comment. 

I know. I just don't like that comparison because I think it is missing a lot of what makes teaching hard. I also think it underestimates how much teachers actually work.