COVID-19

Indabuff

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

Has anyone heard how long the vaccine is effective before we need another booster 

They are not sure yet, they are studying the antibody titers on the original study participants. Pfizer is studying whether or not a third dose maybe necessary. I imagine the Corona Vaccine will become annual similar to the flu vaccine. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They are not sure yet, they are studying the antibody titers on the original study participants. Pfizer is studying whether or not a third dose maybe necessary. I imagine the Corona Vaccine will become annual similar to the flu vaccine. 

Years ago i didn't get the flu shot and some creep at work had a meeting with me and at the end of the meeting she said, man I feel sick like the flu.

The next day i was as sick as i have been in my life. 103 fever, the dr said my blood pressure was really low. She wanted to call an ambulance to bring me to the hospital. i refused because I didn't have good insurance and would be responsible for around 10k out of pocket. 

She gave me the flu medicine and after about 7 days of constant sleep, i finally felt better. Tylenol broke my fever after the 3rd day. 

At the time, i didn't know that the flu kiled people each year. Had i known, i might have went to the hospital. 

After that I became a germaphobe and said if people are sickly to stay away. i was so mad at that creep at work for not telling me she was sick. We could have done the meeting as a phone call.  I made sure to get the flu shot this year. I hadn't been around anyone so i suspected my immune system was bad. I figured the flu shot would give me a little boost

Edited by Mike Honcho

28 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Years ago i didn't get the flu shot and some creep at work had a meeting with me and at the end of the meeting she said, man I feel sick like the flu.

The next day i was as sick as i have been in my life. 103 fever, the dr said my blood pressure was really low. She wanted to call an ambulance to bring me to the hospital. i refused because I didn't have good insurance and would be responsible for around 10k out of pocket. 

She gave me the flu medicine and after about 7 days of constant sleep, i finally felt better. Tylenol broke my fever after the 3rd day. 

At the time, i didn't know that the flu kiled people each year. Had i known, i might have went to the hospital. 

After that I became a germaphobe and said if people are sickly to stay away. i was so mad at that creep at work for not telling me she was sick. We could have done the meeting as a phone call.  I made sure to get the flu shot this year. I hadn't been around anyone so i suspected my immune system was bad. I figured the flu shot would give me a little boost

Anyone saying that COVID-19 is just another flu has 1. probably never had actual influenza (if they did, it would get the respect from them it deserves) and 2. grossly underestimated COVID-19 as 500,000 dead Americans attests to.

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

Anyone saying that COVID-19 is just another flu has 1. probably never had actual influenza (if they did, it would get the respect from them it deserves) and 2. grossly underestimated COVID-19 as 500,000 dead Americans attests to.

This issue is, and I am not saying this to downplay Covid, is that there are many like me who have gotten very sick from the actual flu and did not get sick from Covid. Not everyone can or is willing to wrap their head around that. Who has ever heard of someone being asymptotic for the flu? 

Edited by #freejame

8 hours ago, #freejame said:

This issue is, and I am not saying this to downplay Covid, is that there are many like me who have gotten very sick from the actual flu and did not get sick from Covid. Not everyone can or is willing to wrap their head around that. Who has ever heard of someone being asymptotic for the flu? 

I am sure many have been. The problem is I don't think the studies have been done on the flu to the levels that covid-19 has been as far as asymptomatic virus spreading is concerned.

Now I am really curious about if people can be asymptomatic with the flu and if so how infectious they are.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

I am sure many have been. The problem is I don't think the studies have been done on the flu to the levels that covid-19 has been as far as asymptomatic virus spreading is concerned.

Now I am really curious about if people can be asymptomatic with the flu and if so how infectious they are.

Google is your friend.  There are studies on asymptomatic influenza spread.  Short story, it happens.

5 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

google? never heard of it.

No, no, no. You're misspelling it. Googol.  It's what you call the number 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Or you could call that 10 duotrigintillion.

9 hours ago, #freejame said:

My response is this:  While I acknowledge your sample of one, this past year has been the best year for flu in decades.  Even with guidelines for social distancing, mask wearing and hand washing that many people have ignored, the incidence of flu has nevertheless been way down.  Yet Covid managed to kill a half million Americans in that environment... more than ten times the average flu deaths each year.  Flu deserves respect as a viral killer, but Covid is literally an order of magnitude worse.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

My response is this:  While I acknowledge your sample of one, this past year has been the best year for flu in decades.  Even with guidelines for social distancing, mask wearing and hand washing that many people have ignored, the incidence of flu has nevertheless been way down.  Yet Covid managed to kill a half million Americans in that environment... more than ten times the average flu deaths each year.  Flu deserves respect as a viral killer, but Covid is literally an order of magnitude worse.

One of the theories behind this is the yearly influenza outbreaks start in the Southern Hemisphere. The CDC watches Australia in particular To determine how effective the flu vaccination for the year will be. 

With distancing and the good job that many of the countries in the southern hemisphere did in mitigating Covid, coupled with the fact there has been minimal international travel particularly from the southern hemisphere this leads researchers  to believe this is the primary reason why cases of influenza having so minuscule this year. 

We also have proven effective anti virals against influenza particularly if started in the first 48 hours. So far no treatments for Covid that have proven as effective. 

11 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

You were lucky, it sounds like you were septic from the flu. 

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

We also have proven effective anti virals against influenza particularly if started in the first 48 hours. So far no treatments for Covid that have proven as effective. 

I can see a future where Covid is no more invasive than the Flu, but currently we are still learning of the most effective treatments and most people have very green immune systems with respect to Covid.  Maybe I'm a fool for playing it so safe, but for something like this I'd much rather err on the side of looking foolish.  There's plenty of time to be cavalier about it once science has gotten the virus under control.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I can see a future where Covid is no more invasive than the Flu, but currently we are still learning of the most effective treatments and most people have very green immune systems with respect to Covid.  Maybe I'm a fool for playing it so safe, but for something like this I'd much rather err on the side of looking foolish.  There's plenty of time to be cavalier about it once science has gotten the virus under control.

Your not being foolish. I have been fully vaccinated since January 7th and I still wear a N95, with a surgical mask and goggles when seeing non Covid Patients. I still follow all precautions outside the hospital as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

i have my second dose of the vaccine on the 14th of march. i am planning on seeing my family for the first time in 1 year in april, which is 3 weeks after my 2nd shot.

my mother refuses to get the vaccine at this point. Is there any risk to me bringing the vaccine to her after i am fully vaccinated? i read the FDA is saying that you dont need to quarantine if you are around someone with covid if you are fully vaccinated if you arent showing symptoms. 

is there any real risk to seeing my mother if i am fully vaccinated? i dont plan on being around people with covid, but i just wanted to see what the risks are?

i really cant never see my mother again 

Edited by Mike Honcho

46 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

i have my second dose of the vaccine on the 14th of march. i am planning on seeing my family for the first time in 1 year in april, which is 3 weeks after my 2nd shot.

my mother refuses to get the vaccine at this point. Is there any risk to me bringing the vaccine to her after i am fully vaccinated? i read the FDA is saying that you dont need to quarantine if you are around someone with covid if you are fully vaccinated if you arent showing symptoms. 

is there any real risk to seeing my mother if i am fully vaccinated? i dont plan on being around people with covid, but i just wanted to see what the risks are?

i really cant never see my mother again 

Early Data is showing minimal risk for asymptomatic transmission from fully vaccinated people. 

That being said, there isn’t enough data to draw conclusions one way or the other. 

You should be ok, but the risk is not zero. 

What’s You Mom’s Reasoning for not getting the shot, if you don’t mind me asking? 

7 hours ago, JujuFish said:

No, no, no. You're misspelling it. Googol.  It's what you call the number 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Or you could call that 10 duotrigintillion.

10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 never heard of it

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I read your username as "Dr. Irksome" and I thought to myself... spot on, that.

I prefer Dr. N. Kirishone

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

It’s pretty cool, I get emails from Microsoft saying Bless You Ten Seconds before I sneeze 

Serves you right.

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

What’s You Mom’s Reasoning for not getting the shot, if you don’t mind me asking? 

i wish i knew. She is 71 years old, and in not great health. She had lung cancer years ago, which was removed by removing half of one of her lungs. everyone in the family tells her she should get it, but she wont. 

she said she in unsure of any long term effects, but not to sound harsh, but she is 71 and not in great health.   

On 2/26/2021 at 9:08 AM, Brawndo said:

But no one really calls it the flu vaccine anymore right?  It's the flu shot because it hopefully prevents the strains they believe would be dominant that particular year. Unlike a vaccine that would actually prevent it right?  With all the variants in COVID, will we end up in that scenario?  I know we don't know yet, but I keep waiting for them to find a variant that the current vaccines don't work against.

22 hours ago, #freejame said:

Let's be honest.  If you are asymptomatic how would you ever know you had anything? 

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I am curious, and I am asking this not to dismiss your point but for understanding it better, have more people been infected with COVID this year than are normally infected with influenza in a given year?  Or, what I am asking is that while you are saying 10 times the flu deaths is it also a 10x death rate or just quantity of deaths?

I stopped looking at statistics a long time ago.  I knew the rate was higher, but expected it to go down as more people were infected with COVID.

I considered not posting about this in the event someone here is going through a similar situation (or has gone through it).  I don't want to discourage anyone from feeling optimistic as each scenario is different but it doesn't look favorable for my mother.  She's been on a ventilator for 20 days now.  Although nothing appears to be getting worse nothing appears to be getting better either.  I suppose that should likely be considered a win but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it.  The worst part is the heartbreaking emotion of not being able to comfort a person in their time of need who has comforted you your entire life.  If I've taken anything away from this it's not to underestimate what we're up against.  I haven't had time (or the heart) to read posts here in a while but for anyone who is going through this or already has stay strong and hopefully everything works out.  If you've lost someone I'm sorry, stay strong and I hope you find peace.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2