COVID-19

Indabuff

8 hours ago, LTS said:

NYS opened up high risk sports for a February season.

You can say whatever you want, but the psychological boost given to my kids this week is quite noticeable. My son was more noticeable as he's a junior in HS playing varsity hockey. My daughter, 13, is on the outside, but her club volleyball team is back to playing tournaments.

There's just no denying how much psychological impact this virus has had on the youth of this country.  

That said, I'm not the youth of this country and I am beginning to realize just how much impact it has had on me.  My life did not change dramatically as I had worked from home for 2 years prior, I had been busy with work.  I am beginning to realize how much the change in how society operates is impacting me.  it's undone a good 2 years of work on improving my overall health without a doubt.

Hang in there.  Hopefully we keep taking small steps back towards “normal” in the next few months.

19 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Tested positive last Thursday after being exposed the previous Friday. Very, very minor cold symptoms and I shouldn’t be contagious anymore but another weekend of taking things easy. Glad I got it before I finally come back home to NY. 

I'm wishing you the best. Did you go to the doctor and get any treatments or are you just riding it out and letting the infection run its course? 

2 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

What would possibly make you think someone isn't getting a benefit?

Language like the following from the CDC:

"COVID-19 vaccination will help protect you from getting COVID-19. You may have some side effects, which are normal signs that your body is building protection."

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm wishing you the best. Did you go to the doctor and get any treatments or are you just riding it out and letting the infection run its course? 

Thank you! When I found out I had positive exposure last Thursday I scheduled an appointment through the VA. I was scheduled for drive through testing on Friday. I arrived at 9:29 and was out at 9:31. Received my positive result at 1:45 and they advised to quarantine for ten days and reach out if my symptoms got worse. Aside from some psychosomatic symptoms when I found out I was exposed I’ve felt pretty normal so I’m just riding it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Language like the following from the CDC:

"COVID-19 vaccination will help protect you from getting COVID-19. You may have some side effects, which are normal signs that your body is building protection."

That language that says "may", not "will"?

6 hours ago, Curt said:

Hang in there.  Hopefully we keep taking small steps back towards “normal” in the next few months.

Thanks.  Overall I have to be thankful as we all remain healthy. I remain employed (insanely busy in fact).  But you sometimes don't recognize what you are missing and its impact on you.

This is off topic, but I thought someone posted way upthread with a video of a corner of a room partitioned off with some clear plastic film looking material.  I can't find the video in a quick glance through the pages, but does anyone know what that material was?

Basically, the furnished part of our basement is basically one big room that doesn't get warm at all with the main heating (we're talking 40s) and it's an old, drafty house, so I want to temporarily partition off a smaller, say 10x10 section of it, and use a small heater to warm it up.  Trying to figure out the most convenient way to do that and I thought of the aforementioned video I can't find.

3 hours ago, JujuFish said:

This is off topic, but I thought someone posted way upthread with a video of a corner of a room partitioned off with some clear plastic film looking material.  I can't find the video in a quick glance through the pages, but does anyone know what that material was?

Basically, the furnished part of our basement is basically one big room that doesn't get warm at all with the main heating (we're talking 40s) and it's an old, drafty house, so I want to temporarily partition off a smaller, say 10x10 section of it, and use a small heater to warm it up.  Trying to figure out the most convenient way to do that and I thought of the aforementioned video I can't find.

Marine vinyl. I’ll post the video when I get home.

https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/products/clear-marine-vinyl

Edited by SwampD
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/29/2021 at 12:32 AM, LTS said:

There's just no denying how much psychological impact this virus has had on the youth of this country.  

Not to sound cliche but I think the aspect that angers me most is that I feel like my young childrens' childhoods are being stolen from them. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Not to sound cliche but I think the aspect that angers me most is that I feel like my young childrens' childhoods are being stolen from them. 

Yeah it ducks kids missed an entire year of going to school normally and having those interactions.  Things will go back to normal though.

14 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I would agree.  I mean, kids were already trending to more housebound isolation via video games and social media (why get together if you can do so virtually) but they definitely still need to be around each other.  That's why I am glad some things are opening up.  Our jazz band is starting this week, so my daughter now has that to go to in addition to volleyball.  I was coaching baseball practice last night, hockey tryouts start tomorrow, so my son is starting to get back to a little normal.

7 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Yeah it ducks kids missed an entire year of going to school normally and having those interactions.  Things will go back to normal though.

Normal is the question... I'm frankly sick of the mask but I don't think we're going to be done with those for quite some time.  Mutations in the virus and prolonged precaution (paranoia) over WHEN it is safe will be the real key.  I say precaution/paranoia because as things become safer there will be continued debate over when its safe to reduce restrictions, etc.  When Cuomo opened up high risk sports parents began going off about kids still not being in school full time, no music programs, etc. They are interesting points as to what activities are safe or not.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

I would agree.  I mean, kids were already trending to more housebound isolation via video games and social media (why get together if you can do so virtually) but they definitely still need to be around each other.  That's why I am glad some things are opening up.  Our jazz band is starting this week, so my daughter now has that to go to in addition to volleyball.  I was coaching baseball practice last night, hockey tryouts start tomorrow, so my son is starting to get back to a little normal.

Normal is the question... I'm frankly sick of the mask but I don't think we're going to be done with those for quite some time.  Mutations in the virus and prolonged precaution (paranoia) over WHEN it is safe will be the real key.  I say precaution/paranoia because as things become safer there will be continued debate over when its safe to reduce restrictions, etc.  When Cuomo opened up high risk sports parents began going off about kids still not being in school full time, no music programs, etc. They are interesting points as to what activities are safe or not.

I heard about a COVID test in n China where the swab comes in from the south if you know what I mean.  That’s my line in the sand.  No way I’m putting a mask on my face and something up the nether without a safety word.

20 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I heard about a COVID test in n China where the swab comes in from the south if you know what I mean.  That’s my line in the sand.  No way I’m putting a mask on my face and something up the nether without a safety word.

That's for the Uyghurs.

I finally got hit with a quarantine. My co-worker left work yesterday when he started feeling nauseous and generally crappy. Surveillance did contact tracing for the day and they saw him and I in close proximity for 15 minutes throughout the day (2 minutes here, 3 minutes there.) So now I'm out of work until his test results come in. If he's negative I can go right back. If he's positive I have to quarantine for 14 days then show a negative test before I can return.

Fun!

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

To be reinstated on Monday, sorry, Feb 15th,  I'm guessing.

I'll find the next scheduled hearing date if you really want, but I think this will go more along the lines of Nowak's earlier ruling (opening restaurants again) and the state will give up.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

I'll find the next scheduled hearing date if you really want, but I think this will go more along the lines of Nowak's earlier ruling (opening restaurants again) and the state will give up.

I was just making a joke about opening up for the Super Bowl and Valentines Day.

Just to point out how quickly and drastically things change with this goddam thing my parents ended up getting it recently.  Sounded like they were on the rebound the last few days but today my Mom was admitted to the hospital and is currently sedated and on a ventilator.  Flying out tomorrow.  Fortunately I'll be able to see her through a pane of glass.  Better than nothing I suppose.   One thing is certain.  This is gonna suck. 

• Sad 2