COVID-19

Indabuff

Got my first jab yesterday. Masterful poke, not a stitch of pain. Very slight soreness developed in my arm late in the day and I still have it. I have to decide to feel the discomfort, it's so slight. I feel perfectly normal so far and don't expect any issues at this point.

If you have any concerns about the shot being painful or the soreness being unbearable, put them out of your mind. (Of course YRMV.)

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Got my first jab yesterday. Masterful poke, not a stitch of pain. Very slight soreness developed in my arm late in the day and I still have it. I have to decide to feel the discomfort, it's so slight. I feel perfectly normal so far and don't expect any issues at this point.

If you have any concerns about the shot being painful or the soreness being unbearable, put them out of your mind. (Of course YRMV.)

I had the same experience, my soreness was strong compared to prior vaccines I've had - but nothing overly terrible. Was gone after 2 days. 

@Brawndo

Does the lack of a symptomatic response to the vaccine suggest it's not revving up my immune system? I have concerns due to being on Methotrexate (low dose), which I held last week and plan on continuing to hold until two weeks after my second dose (my idea based on research; pulmonologist said he doubted it would help my immune system respond to the vaccine).

2 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

The memo on not transporting (dead or mostly dead) patients is further down the thread.

So grim.

As far as I am aware, the U.S. has heretofore avoided Italy's dilemma from March/April, at which time care was being rationed such that older, sicker people were being left to die, basically.

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, it depends on how your immune system responds. An Immunologist could provide more details but there's lots of people asymptomatic vaccine response. Also from what I have read, the second dose doesn't provide that 95% effective rate until 7 days after so keep that in mind. 

I also heard that the stronger immune reaction will generally come from the 2nd dose.

• Like (+1) 1

Spoke with my brother-in-law late last night. He's still home, has a lingering deep cough and some body aches but he's slowly mending. After a brief convo to send love and wish him well spoke with my sister, she says the Doc told her he will have life long lasting damage from this, lungs and neurological. She didn't specify but Covid ravaged Rich for sure. My heart goes to him and their family. Things will never be the same for them I'd imagine.

• Sad 3

My Dad, who is 78 and still does operations consulting work for a care home is set to get his next week. Just found out yesterday.

Happiest news I've heard in a long time. You don't realize the pressure that's there until it's released. He's so happy; he hasn't seen my sister in a year and this means he can soon.

So much respect for you front-liners.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Just remember to wait 7 days after the second dose. 

Has there been credible guidance to that effect? That might be when maximum protection is established. But with virus circulating widely, you're still at risk even if vaccinated (as well as the great unknown of whether you can be protected from illness but still carry the virus and be contagious). The way I look at it, the purpose of vaccination is to create herd immunity eventually and allow us a return to near-normalcy. It's not a "pass" for people to take risks they wouldn't otherwise.

Also — whether the vaccine is 95% or 55% effective in the real world has yet to be established.

Personally, I'm not going to do anything different for now. I look at it as a backup level of protection in case something slips past my first line of defense.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Has there been credible guidance to that effect? That might be when maximum protection is established. But with virus circulating widely, you're still at risk even if vaccinated (as well as the great unknown of whether you can be protected from illness but still carry the virus and be contagious). The way I look at it, the purpose of vaccination is to create herd immunity eventually and allow us a return to near-normalcy. It's not a "pass" for people to take risks they wouldn't otherwise.

Also — whether the vaccine is 95% or 55% effective in the real world has yet to be established.

Personally, I'm not going to do anything different for now. I look at it as a backup level of protection in case something slips past my first line of defense.

My dad is planning to follow whatever guidelines provided. Right now that precludes travelling to see my sister.

However, there was a long stretch they could have visited and didn't due to personal choice — mostly her concern she would put him at risk. This has put her mind at ease enough that he plans to visit her whenever the restrictions are relaxed.

My sister works at a mental hospital. They are finally able to get vaccine, but she said the administration is asking who is refusing it and why. Im not sure if that falls into the HIPAA laws.

My sister wants to wait on the vaccine but is afraid she will be fired if she doesn't get it since they are asking. She works from home and doesn't see people so it shouldn't  be required for her

Edited by miles

On the really bright side, it's been a very light flu season so far, thanks to Covid mitigation and more people getting the flu shot. Lots of news stories out there. Axios has a story titled, "The flu season that isn't."

Nice development. Getting some lives back.

I'm finally back to work.  Although, I still get tired very easily.  I got sick on December 4th and this is the first week since then that I feel like myself again.  Crazy! 

It's been a long haul, but it feels great to be back to normal (somewhat).  I think the Bills have helped.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Very cool. How has the ER been lately? Crowded?

Mixed no where like the spring... but still getting steady covid coming in... more than summer and early fall.

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm finally back to work.  Although, I still get tired very easily.  I got sick on December 4th and this is the first week since then that I feel like myself again.  Crazy! 

It's been a long haul, but it feels great to be back to normal (somewhat).  I think the Bills have helped.

Keep drinking lots of fluids... vitamins... go easy... itll come back but there will be days where you just dont have a lot of energy.