COVID-19

Indabuff

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What about the pros and cons of not ordering 100million additional doses when given the chance or slowing the current delivery as states report getting half orders because... well I can't say because it would be "political". 

300k dead Americans and we will hit 400k sometime in January. 

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

They said the government had changed the delivery schedule of the vaccine so states weren't getting all of their allotment at once, at the request of governors, who hoped spaced-out deliveries would be more manageable.

"They will get their weekly allocation, it just won't come to them on one day," one official told the AP.

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Strange that several states seemed confused by learning that. Stranger that it was news pfizer who has vaccine just sitting in a warehouse. 

If you want to get into a discussion of perceived government incompetence/dishonesty/corruption, as well as each side's excuses/narratives -- that's what the politics club is for.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

In the particular cases of ECMC and NFMMC, the vaccines were shipped, but to the wrong systems (Kaleida and Catholic Health, respectively).

I find that so odd. I mean it would be interesting to know where the mistake happened. Computer error? Human input error? What? I know Buffalo General got some. Roswell got some.

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

It had always been the plan to distribute only 2.9 million of the 6.4 million doses produced in a first wave, the officials said. To help make it more manageable for distribution by governors of each state.

Again, that was news to several states and pfizer

Just now, Zamboni said:

I find that so odd. I mean it would be interesting to know where the mistake happened. Computer error? Human input error? What? I know Buffalo General got some. Roswell got some.

Probably human error. I'd assume the next shipment would be right. 

Found out that the University of Georgia was supposed to receive and store some vaccine but they put some rando in charge of it and the guy was trying to get freezers or get them fixed as of this week so they could store them. Meanwhile I know for a fact there are places on campus with the storage equipment. 

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

HD version | Surprised Pikachu | Know Your Meme

I sent you a PM

42 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If you want to get into a discussion of perceived government incompetence/dishonesty/corruption, as well as each side's excuses/narratives -- that's what the politics club is for.

No, that is not what it is for.  And no one is talking about "sides" except you.  There is plenty of government incompetence/dishonesty/corruption everywhere in the world regardless of politics, there always has been, and there always will be.  If it is affecting treatment of the pandemic, people naturally are going to discuss it.

Edited by Eleven

Covid first hand.

I haven’t been around much lately.  I came down with Covid two weeks ago despite taking max precautions because I have asthma.  Ultimately, i ended up with Covid related Bilateral Pneumonia with a secondary bacterial infection which has caused persistent fever and cough.  I actually turned the corner, i think, yesterday after spending Tuesday in the hospital when my blood oxygen levels fell to 90.  (98-100 is normal).

For those who don’t already own one, I’d suggest buying a pulse oximeter.  Because I own one, I was able to seek treatment at the right time.  

So the treatment so far.  Zinc 50-75mg daily, 500 mg Vitamin C twice a day, 5000 units of Vitamin D, one baby aspirin daily and a probiotic.  Melatoin 10 mg to help sleep.
Once my lungs got bad, they added a strong course of prednisone for 7 days and 7 days of levofloxacin.  Albuterol inhaler as needed. 

Of course Advil/tylenol for the fever, Benzonatate for day time cough and Tussinex (codeine cough medicine) for night.

My experience started with 72 straight hours with the chills.  I was feeling better 7 days in but then I could feel it hitting my lungs and I knew I was in trouble.  My wife and younger daughter also got it, but recovered quickly except by daughter had a terrible migraine for 3 days and my wife lost her sense of smell, but that is starting to improve.  Besides the chills, fever, horrible cough, the worst symptom has been fatigue.  At the peak of this illness, the fatigue was so bad, I almost couldn’t muster enough energy to go to he washroom.  Sleep is also difficult and I found it easier to sleep in an easy chair rather then in bed.  

I don’t wish this on anyone and everyone should take reasonable precautions especially those with pre-existing conditions like asthma.  However, ultimately I honestly believe that most everyone will get this thing. My hope is the vaccine and newer treatments will make this less dangerous.  

Some interesting things I learned during my hospital visit and on my followup with my pulmonologist is the in hospital treatment.  First, I didn’t receive fluids or oxygen during my stay.  The research so far is that fluids and oxygen on a boardline case like mine can actually make things worse.  Had my oxygen fell below 88, they would have admitted me overnight and placed me on oxygen then.  Also with pneumonia, they are fearing blood clots.  They did a CT with contrast to rule out blood clots in my lungs.  Fortunately I had none.  Again I would have been admitted and put on blood thinners.  I was lucky and my oxygen started to improve with simple rest in the ER.  I entered with an 91 and left with a 93. Since then, it’s shown improvement back to 95 with an occasional 97.  I suspect it will be at least another 2-3 weeks before the fatigue fades completely and I plan to stay on the vitamins.

As to other treatments, the drugs have to be administered within the first 3 days of illness and that’s where they have the most impact.  Plasma treatments are helpful in later stages, but are typically only for in hospital patients.  That is changing.  There are now some outpatient plasma treatment centers.  If I had not been improving, that was then next step in my treatment.

One final thought,  despite what i have gone through, please don’t stop living your lives.  Take reasonable precautions, but be with your families, and support local business, including restaurants and gyms etc..  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Covid first hand.

I haven’t been around much lately.  I came down with Covid two weeks ago despite taking max precautions because I have asthma.  Ultimately, i ended up with Covid related Bilateral Pneumonia with a secondary bacterial infection which has caused persistent fever and cough.  I actually turned the corner, i think, yesterday after spending Tuesday in the hospital when my blood oxygen levels fell to 90.  (98-100 is normal).

For those who don’t already own one, I’d suggest buying a pulse oximeter.  Because I own one, I was able to seek treatment at the right time.  

So the treatment so far.  Zinc 50-75mg daily, 500 mg Vitamin C twice a day, 5000 units of Vitamin D, one baby aspirin daily and a probiotic.  Melatoin 10 mg to help sleep.
Once my lungs got bad, they added a strong course of prednisone for 7 days and 7 days of levofloxacin.  Albuterol inhaler as needed. 

Of course Advil/tylenol for the fever, Benzonatate for day time cough and Tussinex (codeine cough medicine) for night.

My experience started with 72 straight hours with the chills.  I was feeling better 7 days in but then I could feel it hitting my lungs and I knew I was in trouble.  My wife and younger daughter also got it, but recovered quickly except by daughter had a terrible migraine for 3 days and my wife lost her sense of smell, but that is starting to improve.  Besides the chills, fever, horrible cough, the worst symptom has been fatigue.  At the peak of this illness, the fatigue was so bad, I almost couldn’t muster enough energy to go to he washroom.  Sleep is also difficult and I found it easier to sleep in an easy chair rather then in bed.  

I don’t wish this on anyone and everyone should take reasonable precautions especially those with pre-existing conditions like asthma.  However, ultimately I honestly believe that most everyone will get this thing. My hope is the vaccine and newer treatments will make this less dangerous.  

Some interesting things I learned during my hospital visit and on my followup with my pulmonologist is the in hospital treatment.  First, I didn’t receive fluids or oxygen during my stay.  The research so far is that fluids and oxygen on a boardline case like mine can actually make things worse.  Had my oxygen fell below 88, they would have admitted me overnight and placed me on oxygen then.  Also with pneumonia, they are fearing blood clots.  They did a CT with contrast to rule out blood clots in my lungs.  Fortunately I had none.  Again I would have been admitted and put on blood thinners.  I was lucky and my oxygen started to improve with simple rest in the ER.  I entered with an 91 and left with a 93. Since then, it’s shown improvement back to 95 with an occasional 97.  I suspect it will be at least another 2-3 weeks before the fatigue fades completely and I plan to stay on the vitamins.

As to other treatments, the drugs have to be administered within the first 3 days of illness and that’s where they have the most impact.  Plasma treatments are helpful in later stages, but are typically only for in hospital patients.  That is changing.  There are now some outpatient plasma treatment centers.  If I had not been improving, that was then next step in my treatment.

One final thought,  despite what i have gone through, please don’t stop living your lives.  Take reasonable precautions, but be with your families, and support local business, including restaurants and gyms etc..  

I’m glad to hear you’re recovering.That is frightening.  I assume you were admitted to Kennestone Wellstar. I have a close friend who is a cardiologist there if you need a referral. I’m hoping to get the vaccine on Monday since I’m a health care worker. 
Big game today for NU. Go Cats. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Covid first hand.

I'm sorry you went/are going through this, but it's good to hear you seem to be on the road to recovery.

The oximeter advice is good, but normal is said to be 95+. I wouldn't want anyone panicking at 96.

I don't agree with some of what you wrote, but in the spirit of being happy you're OK, I'll leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm sorry you went/are going through this, but it's good to hear you seem to be on the road to recovery.

The oximeter advice is good, but normal is said to be 95+. I wouldn't want anyone panicking at 96.

I don't agree with some of what you wrote, but in the spirit of being happy you're OK, I'll leave it at that.

You are welcome to disagree.  The information comes from the 3 doctors treating me so far.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You are welcome to disagree.  The information comes from the 3 doctors treating me so far.

Glad you are feeling better. This had to be a tough and frightening experience to go through. Just curious but does being infected a factor in if or when you should receive the shot when it becomes available? 

Just now, JohnC said:

Glad you are feeling better. This had to be a tough and frightening experience to go through. Just curious but does being infected a factor in if or when you should receive the shot when it becomes available? 

I’m not sure if I need the vaccine depending on how long the antibodies last in my system.  That said. i have no fear of getting the shot if the doctors think I would benefit, although I will probably be at the bottom of the priority list.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What Smell wrote. I didn't want to make my comment too specific about what I disagreed with, in the spirit of "leaving it at that."

We're hitting panick stations here in Scotland.  New strain of COVID-19 seems to be much faster at transmitting itself.  New lockdown measures coming to place, no travel between UK countries. New strain is causing havoc down in london/South England. First minister is keen to avoid services becoming overwhelmed up here. 

Also sounds like we (teachers) will be going back to online learning. *****. 

"

Nicola Sturgeon is addressing the nation now on what is next for Scotland in light of a ‘sharp increase’ in a new strain of Covid

She said the country has to take the new strain ‘seriously and act accordingly and appropriately.' She said ‘very firm preventative action required’ following a four nations meeting that took place this afternoon. 

The First Minister said Scotland is not showing a sharp rise in cases at the moment, but there is evidence that the new strain could be 70% more transmissible.  

She said the new strain will be ‘a serious risk if we do not act quickly.’"

Edited by steveoath

My wife and I live in Maryland. We’re both physicians, myself I directly care for known Covid positive cases. Neither one of us has been vaccinated, nor have we been notified when this will happen. Radio silence. We have colleagues in DC and VA who have been vaccinated though. 

9 minutes ago, kas23 said:

My wife and I live in Maryland. We’re both physicians, myself I directly care for known Covid positive cases. Neither one of us has been vaccinated, nor have we been notified when this will happen. Radio silence. We have colleagues in DC and VA who have been vaccinated though. 

That sucks. My wife is in a similar position. Absolutely no contact regarding vaccinations except that she'll be expected to giving them out at some point!

52 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

A new strain..... I guess we're just gonna keep this thing going until the world collapses. 

If it's the same one that made the news yesterday, BBC reported that it can be treated with the two vaccines already in use.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If it's the same one that made the news yesterday, BBC reported that it can be treated with the two vaccines already in use.

Well thank God for that. If there was a way I could speed things up for the vaccine, I would do anything in my power just so this world could normalize. 

I'd also love to get my kiddos in Africa some doses, but that's way out of my hands. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1