COVID-19

Indabuff

We're at 3600 deaths a day now. Over 300,000 dead Americans currently. If only something could have been done in... march, april, may, june, july, august, september, october, or november to flatten the curve. 

Good news is another vaccine should be approved shortly. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We're at 3600 deaths a day now. Over 300,000 dead Americans currently. If only something could have been done in... march, april, may, june, july, august, september, october, or november to flatten the curve. 

Yes. We would have flattened the curve. Like Germany.   https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-17/german-coronavirus-cases-jump-by-most-since-start-of-pandemic?utm_source=url_link

Or all these other countries that are struggling. 
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I recall this country being changed quite a bit since March, what would you have suggested should have been done over the summer when things were shut down and toilet paper was nowhere to be found? 

A virus, any virus is hard to trap, to stop. I fear that as a society we have very little education on microbiology as a whole, even thinking on very micro scales is a very difficult subject, so we view this from a macro scale, which isn't wrong, just doesn't help complete the story. 

It's great we have a vaccine now, cool, let's see if it actually does anything... Only time will tell, but I have some faith in it. 

35 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I recall this country being changed quite a bit since March, what would you have suggested should have been done over the summer when things were shut down and toilet paper was nowhere to be found? 

A virus, any virus is hard to trap, to stop. I fear that as a society we have very little education on microbiology as a whole, even thinking on very micro scales is a very difficult subject, so we view this from a macro scale, which isn't wrong, just doesn't help complete the story. 

It's great we have a vaccine now, cool, let's see if it actually does anything... Only time will tell, but I have some faith in it. 

What would have done something to limit (not stop) the spread of the virus was to wear a mask, social distance and wash one's hand. When public health issues get politicized you get the disastrous results that we have been and still are now getting. Even with the roll out of the vaccines it is important to continue following the basic guidelines. When the tools in your tool box are not used you end up with a health calamity. It didn't have to be that way.  

• Like (+1) 2

I hate to put it like this but the government should have shut down all non essential businesses and passed a law that rent and taxes etc didnt need to be paid so they really could close without fear of permanent closure

All bill collectors, like credit cards, mortgage etc, would be put on hold

The only money people need would be for food, and supplies. Which could be given as unemployment. Essential workers get extra pay by government for working during this time. Significant extra.

Then setup the stores where everyone gets the food and supplies they require for their household. Then they could be picked up at a specific time by being left on a table at a specific time with call in. No person interaction. 

Close all borders and any us citizen has to come by a specific date and quarantine for 2 weeks and after the date, nobody in or out. 

People would be required to stay at home for 6 weeks with only leaving for supplies or medical treatment 

Withing 6 weeks the virus should stop spreading because of lack of people to jump around. 

Then the borders stay completely closed until the vaccine. If people ignore the 6 week stay at home, then you give a huge fine that is to be paid after the quarantine or face jail time

Basically we live like hermits for 6 weeks and then its over for good. 

Once the vaccine is released and everyone gets it, then reopen. if people choose not yo get it, then they can face the consequences for not getting it 

Its unamerican but we would be in a much better place 

This respread happened because people were out doing what they wanted, they reopened states without a vaccine to stop the spread and that happened so the economy was not destroyed. the government could have just put life on hold for a shorter time. It became a political pissing match and every American is suffering because of it. Every leader at every level failed

Edited by miles

1 hour ago, bg17 said:

Yes. We would have flattened the curve. Like Germany.   https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-17/german-coronavirus-cases-jump-by-most-since-start-of-pandemic?utm_source=url_link

Or all these other countries that are struggling. 
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Deaths per 100k

US: 93.97

Germany: 29.27

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I am literally not allowed on this forum to tell you what should have happened. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Deaths per 100k

US: 93.97

Germany: 29.27

I am literally not allowed on this forum to tell you what should have happened. 

Correct. And the posts expressing the opposite opinion, also about the government's response, will live forever with the plastic bottles and the cockroaches. And our moderator would never even think to delete the post you can't rebut.

There are none so blind...

Are “political opinion” posts being deleted or just moved to the political forum? Because I thought they were just being moved to the appropriate forum if they start to slant to political opinion commentary. If they are flat out being deleted, that’s pretty unfortunate. But if you can find the political opinion commentary in a designated political thread, then I don’t see a problem with that. It’s not stifling speech,  it’s just being moved to a more fitting place. Maybe it would be better… For a mod to edit out any political commentary that might be intermixed with valid information about Covid 19. Have the COVID-19 commentary, opinions, and facts stay, and have any (can’t help themselves) jabs at political figures be deleted. At least that’s how I mod. Just a thought...

32 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Correct. And the posts expressing the opposite opinion, also about the government's response, will live forever with the plastic bottles and the cockroaches. And our moderator would never even think to delete the post you can't rebut.

There are none so blind...

Except that if you scroll up on this very page, you'll see 2 posts providing specifics as to what the posters think the government's response should've included.

Again:  if anyone wants to debate the pros and cons of specific methods of combating the virus -- e.g. "closing schools works/doesn't work and here is data supporting that approach" -- that is fine. 

If you can't converse on this without including "and the president/governor/prime minister/others who don't agree with me are idiots/corrupt/liars" -- take it to the politics club.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Except that if you scroll up on this very page, you'll see 2 posts providing specifics as to what the posters think the government's response should've included.

Again:  if anyone wants to debate the pros and cons of specific methods of combating the virus -- e.g. "closing schools works/doesn't work and here is data supporting that approach" -- that is fine. 

If you can't converse on this without including "and the president/governor/prime minister/others who don't agree with me are idiots/corrupt/liars" -- take it to the politics club.

I'm responding to your post with respect and no antagonism. I appreciated the private exchange we had on this issue outside of the public board. My position is that the Covid issue is a health and also a political issue. They are inescapably intertwined. It's not impossible but extremely difficult to discuss this issue of how it has been handled and where we are with it without the tinge of politics. My recommendation then and now is to move it out of the hockey site and put it on the political site. In that way there isn't a necessity to police comments on this turbo charged topic. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, nfreeman said:

What about the pros and cons of not ordering 100million additional doses when given the chance or slowing the current delivery as states report getting half orders because... well I can't say because it would be "political". 

300k dead Americans and we will hit 400k sometime in January. 

They said the government had changed the delivery schedule of the vaccine so states weren't getting all of their allotment at once, at the request of governors, who hoped spaced-out deliveries would be more manageable.

"They will get their weekly allocation, it just won't come to them on one day," one official told the AP.

Just now, Zamboni said:

They said the government had changed the delivery schedule of the vaccine so states weren't getting all of their allotment at once, at the request of governors, who hoped spaced-out deliveries would be more manageable.

"They will get their weekly allocation, it just won't come to them on one day," one official told the AP.

Strange that several states seemed confused by learning that. Stranger that it was news pfizer who has vaccine just sitting in a warehouse. 

Edited by LGR4GM

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Pfizer reported they have vaccine sitting in the warehouse because no one told them where to ship it too. 

In the particular cases of ECMC and NFMMC, the vaccines were shipped, but to the wrong systems (Kaleida and Catholic Health, respectively).