COVID-19

Indabuff

29 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Taken from the other thread.

I think one of the biggest failures of the whole thing has been the untold story of our healthcare workers. I know a bunch and they will most likely be dealing with this emotionally for a long time. Americans are arrogant and stupid. They need to be shown things. We needed to see more pictures of ERs and ICUs (I know that’s difficult due to HIPA rules).  We needed more interviews with nurses pushed to the edge.

I don’t feel the media did a good enough job telling this story and it may have convinced more people to take it seriously if they had.

And that right there, is the truth. 

Doctors and Nurses sounded the alarm and were ignored. 

We are a society of individualism, not collectivism. That's the nature of states, capitalism, and a nation born out of rebellion. We idolize individual success. Anything that takes away from individual 'freedom' for the benefit of others isn't what America praises or is built on. So, when we all need to help each other at the slight expense of the individual, it fails spectacularly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, WildCard said:

We are a society of individualism, not collectivism. That's the nature of states, capitalism, and a nation born out of rebellion. We idolize individual success. Anything that takes away from individual 'freedom' for the benefit of others isn't what America praises or is built on. So, when we all need to help each other at the slight expense of the individual, it fails spectacularly. 

It has certainly evolved to that point. It wasn't always that way, of course - at least not to this extreme. Common cause and sacrifice used to be something most Americans embraced without thinking too much about it.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Taken from the other thread.

I think one of the biggest failures of the whole thing has been the untold story of our healthcare workers. I know a bunch and they will most likely be dealing with this emotionally for a long time. Americans are arrogant and stupid. They need to be shown things. We needed to see more pictures of ERs and ICUs (I know that’s difficult due to HIPA rules).  We needed more interviews with nurses pushed to the edge.

I don’t feel the media did a good enough job telling this story and it may have convinced more people to take it seriously if they had.

Unfortunately Our Society has become so polarized that mainstream media sources are ignored or dismissed as untruthful. 

People can find readily find media sources that reinforce their beliefs to the point where exclude other opinions or facts that do not align with these beliefs 

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And that right there, is the truth. 

Doctors and Nurses sounded the alarm and were ignored. 

To the point where those who use their Social Media Accounts to try and spread information are vilified, threatened or are accused exaggerating the severity of things in hospitals 

53 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Spot on 

If a Virus with a High Morality Rate ever causes a global pandemic, the population of a the US will undergo a rapid reduction. 

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The last thing America needs is more videos of anything 😁 or any more media involvement... In anything.. Ever. 

I am confident that there are thousands of people in positions of power, both private and public, that agree with you wholeheartedly.

Just now, SABRES 0311 said:

It’s not that anyone pretends it doesn’t exist. There are people who think the number  killed from COVID is exaggerated. 

There are people that think lots of things and many of them are pretty far fetched so you can't stop that. I might have mentioned this before, but another stat way under the radar is how many people have died from heart attacks and other urgent care issues because hospitals were filled with covid or short staffed and so forth. People that might have got the attention they needed and normally would have gotten if the pandemic was under better control.

So yes, they know more now and lots of people DON'T die from it, but the hospitals are still on the brink and in places close to system collapse so just hope you don't need urgent care for anything these days. Wouldn't be good amid all this. 

On 12/7/2020 at 7:19 AM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Got my antibody tests back, apparently I have IgG antibodies.... This points to me probably having had Covid at some point this year, also having "some" level of immunity. 

The test isn't fully conclusive and not as accurate as the PCR for an acute infection, but that's a bit refreshing. 

I had that awful pneumonia and tested negative for Covid 3 times in that span, makes me wonder when I woulda had it. 

Be careful interpreting a positive IgG. My wife is a physician too. At work, her and her colleagues got theirs tested a couple months back (all asymptomatic). They were just doing it out of curiosity. My wife’s came back positive. I then got mine tested and it was negative. We sleep in the same bed. One of her colleagues was also positive, while her husband’s was also negative. Incidentally, fast forward a couple months, and this same colleague is now home with symptoms and is PCR positive. 

That said, we had an inpatient a few months ago that eventually needed to be intubated for a progressively worsening pneumonia. NP PCR was negative x3. Then I believed they tested a BAL, which came back positive. Strange virus. 

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

Be careful interpreting a positive IgG. My wife is a physician too. At work, her and her colleagues got theirs tested a couple months back (all asymptomatic). They were just doing it out of curiosity. My wife’s came back positive. I then got mine tested and it was negative. We sleep in the same bed. One of her colleagues was also positive, while her husband’s was also negative. Incidentally, fast forward a couple months, and this same colleague is now home with symptoms and is PCR positive. 

That said, we had an inpatient a few months ago that eventually needed to be intubated for a progressively worsening pneumonia. NP PCR was negative x3. Then I believed they tested a BAL, which came back positive. Strange virus. 

It's becoming increasingly clear that the PCR test is still very very flawed, and any antigen test can also have flaws.....we're pushing out all these tests and they have a very poor rate of accuracy. 

Idk man, this just all sucks, there is no right answer, some say that increased testing is better than not enough; on the other hand, having tests that are inaccurate also leads to moves being undertaken that may not be the best. 

I think the same thing applies in the US as in Canada in that we would be much further ahead if we had just let the scientists handle this pandemic and not the politicians.

We have/are failed the elderly to the nth degree. The ones that need(ed) it the most.

I had to go into petco tonight. I ordered catfood online from a different petstore and it made my cat sick after eating it

It was the first store i went into in months. When i went to pay on the machine input my card in being careful not to touch anything and it came up with do you wsnt to donate for a homeless pet.

It would not continue payment until i selected. i know im being overly careful but having to hit the no button that thousands of people hit, which im sure isnt clean seems stupid. I dont understand why the payment cant be just put in the card and let the cashier hit continue. 

Again, i know im being overly sensitive about this but with the amounts of positive cases in nj right now, any little thing that can be done to cut risk should be done.

going to a store like this was the last place i wanted to be 

Edited by miles

7 minutes ago, miles said:

I had to go into petco tonight. I ordered catfood online from a different petstore and it made my cat sick after eating it

It was the first store i went into in months. When i went to pay on the machine input my card in being careful not to touch anything and it came up with do you wsnt to donate for a homeless pet.

It would not continue payment until i selected. i know im being overly careful but having to hit the no button that thousands of people hit, which im sure isnt clean seems stupid. I dont understand why the payment cant be just put in the card and let the cashier hit continue. 

Again, i know im being overly sensitive about this but with the amounts of positive cases in nj right now, any little thing that can be done to cut risk should be done.

going to a store like this was the last place i wanted to be 

I always hold my card with the receipt in one hand. Once I get to my, truck I use hand sanitizer on my hands and the card.

Yes, it's overkill, since I don't think there has ever been a proven case of someone getting it through surface contact, but why risk it.

• Like (+1) 2

Its been shown now that there is actually very little chance of getting it by contact from surfaces. It's mostly air born transmission, which is why masks and distancing are the most important things. If you're worried about surfaces just carry a hand sanitizer in your car and spray your hands down when you leave the store (before scratching your face or removing your mask etc.) and that will eliminate anything you might pick up off of a check out atm or whatever. 

• Like (+1) 1

Most businesses here have hand sanitizers when you enter the store.

I stopped for milk on the way home tonight and the doors open automatically, I used my left hand to pick it up. Scanned my points card and milk. Most places here have "tap" so you don't have to put your card into a machine. door opened automatically and I got in the car with my clean hand and sanitized my hands as soon as I got in the car and took off the mask. Wiped the milk down when I got home and sanitized the counter where I put it down.

Almost all our groceries are ordered online and they come out and put the groceries in your vehicle for you but we needed milk. I hate going into stores here. You can download an app from Walmart and when you turn it on and then pull into the parking stall they are already heading out to the car with your stuff!!!!! As a province, we are doing very, very poorly.

From my observations ... 99.5% of the people I see at stores and in the general public space are wearing masks over mouth and nose. Only time I really see people not wearing masks is if they are going for a walk/run outside around the neighborhood and staying very far away from others. That’s my daily practice as well. Along with hand sanitizing, and washing hands. Some people may be doing overkill, some people may be doing underkill, but by and large I see almost everybody complying to a greater degree.

• Like (+1) 1

This spreads the same as the flu, how many people here made this much of a stink about doing daily things during each flu season?? 

All you have to do is be a bit safer, touching a credit card screen shouldn't cause anxiety. Sure, this virus may be worse than influenza, but it doesn't change how it's spread. Use some smarts but don't let the fear mongering take over your ability to have a semi-normal life. 

On the good news front one of my coworkers wife who had covid in March was just tested for antibodies and 9 months later still has them or was reactive to be accurate.

Gonna try and get tested because why have vaccine right away if others need it and i still have immunity

• Like (+1) 2

It wouldn’t help with fans at games, and I’m sure non-sports fans would be up in arms, but I’d be in favor of allowing players and other game day staff to get vaccinated before training camps start.  It would be less than 100 vaccinations per team, so for the whole NHL it would only be 2500-3000 total. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things, knowing how many doses are being produced. 

It would at least allow for an uninterrupted season.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1