COVID-19

Indabuff

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's already ripped in half. 

I'll get the vaccine because I think it is the safest path forward but it won't be until summer impo that they might be available. Should be fun to watch sports get them first though while first responders and teachers die.

One of the first things asked on the websites when registering for a COVID test is whether you're a first responder / in medicine / essential worker, etc., so they can prioritize those people.  At least in NYS.  I have to think it will be the same when it comes to distributing vaccines.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll get the vaccine because I think it is the safest path forward but it won't be until summer impo that they might be available. Should be fun to watch sports get them first though while first responders and teachers die.

I'll get it too most likely, I heard rumblings that medical personnel will be the first to get them.... We'll see about that.

With travel and all it may end up being a new requirement. I honestly just want to get back down to Africa and unplug as soon as I can, but they're pretty strict with immunizations. 

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's been the plan from the get go to give it to first responders first. 

• Like (+1) 1

Since I know it’s going to be a while before I can get the vaccine, here’s what I did yesterday.

Waiting on an exhaust fan to go here.

image.thumb.jpeg.5e6abff07541d4ddc442aaa59139a83c.jpeg

Outside fresh air Return vents.
image.thumb.jpeg.5b1e8a4a662d2b1f97adb88d023913a6.jpeg

And this.

Can’t wait to start practicing again. Suck it, Covid!

Edited by SwampD

I’m a healthcare worker. I come in direct contact with multiple positive cases per week. I volunteer as a swabber at our testing site. I fully expect I will not be in the correct demographic to receive this vaccine first. This whole thing has become so politicized. People have lost all sense of reason. 

9 hours ago, kas23 said:

I’m a healthcare worker. I come in direct contact with multiple positive cases per week. I volunteer as a swabber at our testing site. I fully expect I will not be in the correct demographic to receive this vaccine first. This whole thing has become so politicized. People have lost all sense of reason. 

What is the correct demographic to get the vaccine 1st?  It sounds like you should be eligible. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54902908, Moderna: Covid vaccine shows nearly 95% protection

The trial involved 30,000 people in the US with half being given two doses of the vaccine, four weeks apart. The rest had dummy injections.

The analysis was based on the first 95 to develop Covid-19 symptoms.

Only five of the Covid cases were in people given the vaccine, 90 were in those given the dummy treatment. The company says the vaccine is protecting 94.5% of people.

The data also shows there were 11 cases of severe Covid in the trial, but none happened in people who were immunised.

Edited by LGR4GM

It appears to be a phase III trial from the limited info we have. We do have some control problems and ideally this study would be repeated again. My main concern is longevity of the immune response, it sounds like they did a 2-dose course (problems there with uptake of that second dose, see HPC vaccine studies for more on that) which would definitely be seeking to prolong that protection. 95% is a good number in vaccine land because it is well above the threshold for herd immunity, given that most diseases clock in around the 80-90% mark although we would need more data to properly calculate a HIT rate but past airborne diseases this infection needed 85-95%... of course this seems less infectious then say measles. The other issue we have is population. If only 50% of the given population receive the vaccine that doesn't get you to the needed levels although if this is like influenza it might help. 

Lots to think about but we are getting closer. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54902908, Moderna: Covid vaccine shows nearly 95% protection

It's pretty interesting to see how they arrive at statements like "95% effective." To the layman, it seems on the flimsy side. Still, very good news. And this one doesn't need the draconian storage temp. Yeah, I'm going with draconian. ***** you and the horse you rode in on!

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It appears to be a phase III trial from the limited info we have. We do have some control problems and ideally this study would be repeated again. My main concern is longevity of the immune response, it sounds like they did a 2-dose course (problems there with uptake of that second dose, see HPC vaccine studies for more on that) which would definitely be seeking to prolong that protection. 95% is a good number in vaccine land because it is well above the threshold for herd immunity, given that most diseases clock in around the 80-90% mark although we would need more data to properly calculate a HIT rate but past airborne diseases this infection needed 85-95%... of course this seems less infectious then say measles. The other issue we have is population. If only 50% of the given population receive the vaccine that doesn't get you to the needed levels although if this is like influenza it might help. 

Lots to think about but we are getting closer. 

A trial of over 26k participants isn’t going to need a repeat P3. I’m not sure what type of data you think it would contribute. Duration of response is certainly going to be under the microscope, but this isn’t a reason for a repeat trial considering their participant number. Under normal circumstances, there wouldn’t be an additional P3, but rather the FDA would take its time (6-12 months) to do its due diligence to gather data on this duration. 

I also have less concerns about people getting their 2nd vaccination to complete the dosing. For other vaccines, yes, this would be an issue. I’m more worried about people refusing to get their 1st. People who got 1 dose have at least bought in to the idea and would likely go back for their 2nd. 

10 minutes ago, kas23 said:

A trial of over 26k participants isn’t going to need a repeat P3. I’m not sure what type of data you think it would contribute. Duration of response is certainly going to be under the microscope, but this isn’t a reason for a repeat trial considering their participant number. Under normal circumstances, there wouldn’t be an additional P3, but rather the FDA would take its time (6-12 months) to do its due diligence to gather data on this duration. 

I also have less concerns about people getting their 2nd vaccination to complete the dosing. For other vaccines, yes, this would be an issue. I’m more worried about people refusing to get their 1st. People who got 1 dose have at least bought in to the idea and would likely go back for their 2nd. 

I want to see if there claims are repeatable. 

We know from other multi-dose vaccines that getting the 2nd dose is harder than getting the first. In HPV it went from something like 100% to 80% for the second and 50% for the third. Just something to keep in mind. 

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I want to see if there claims are repeatable. 

We know from other multi-dose vaccines that getting the 2nd dose is harder than getting the first. In HPV it went from something like 100% to 80% for the second and 50% for the third. Just something to keep in mind. 

But that’s not how things work. Drug companies rarely have to repeat P3 trials unless they are borderline results or failure due to a placebo population not matching historical controls. 

HPV vaccine is much different. For almost everyone who receives it, there’s no perceptible benefit. People don’t live in fear of contracting HPV and developing cervical cancer decades later. In fact, most don’t care and only do it because their doc is recommending it. This vaccine is different and the benefit is palpable. People will be asking for it. No one makes an appointment to get their HPV vaccine unless they had a family member who died of cancer. 

5 hours ago, freester said:

What is the correct demographic to get the vaccine 1st?  It sounds like you should be eligible. 

I’ll take a stab at this: firemen, policemen, teachers, daycare workers, prisoners, homeless shelters, people in long-term care or retirement communities, cashiers, restaurant workers, hospital administrators. 50M doses is only 15% of the US population and will go quick. The only thing physicians have going for them is that the nursing unions will demand it or will force a strike. If the nurses get it, it’ll be harder for them to exclude physicians. 

8 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’ll take a stab at this: firemen, policemen, teachers, daycare workers, prisoners, homeless shelters, people in long-term care or retirement communities, cashiers, restaurant workers, hospital administrators. 50M doses is only 15% of the US population and will go quick. The only thing physicians have going for them is that the nursing unions will demand it or will force a strike. If the nurses get it, it’ll be harder for them to exclude physicians. 

This is counterintuitive and contrary to every conversation I've had on the topic within my peer group.

Health care workers are always first on the pecking order, followed by seniors care home residents and other groups at high-risk for COVID-related fatalities.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

This is counterintuitive and contrary to every conversation I've had on the topic within my peer group.

Health care workers are always first on the pecking order, followed by seniors care home residents and other groups at high-risk for COVID-related fatalities.

The thing I wonder about is whether it makes sense to vaccinate the residents first.

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

But that’s not how things work. Drug companies rarely have to repeat P3 trials unless they are borderline results or failure due to a placebo population not matching historical controls. 

HPV vaccine is much different. For almost everyone who receives it, there’s no perceptible benefit. People don’t live in fear of contracting HPV and developing cervical cancer decades later. In fact, most don’t care and only do it because their doc is recommending it. This vaccine is different and the benefit is palpable. People will be asking for it. No one makes an appointment to get their HPV vaccine unless they had a family member who died of cancer. 

Vaccine uptake is very reliable across types. Influenza  for example has similar barriers. That's my point, each dose adds a barrier. 

22 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I heard the PA governor is going to attempt to tell his citizens they must wear a mask in their own homes due to the rise in COVID cases in the state. 😂

Is that true or fake news? PA posters chime in. 

Strengthening masking order. Masks are still required. Indoors: masks now required anytime you’re with people outside of your household, even if you’re socially distant. Applies to all indoor facilities + if you have people in your home not part of your household

On 11/15/2020 at 7:12 AM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

To keep my job I will have to. If it wasn't forced on me, I still probably would though. I have been getting the flu shot yearly and when I'm of age I'll get the pneumonia vaccines. I do believe in vaccinations, especially seeing how the 3rd world is doing every year. 

I just want people to know the limitations of vaccinations is all. I hear so much that this is going to solve the issue and that just simply isn't the case. 

How old do you have to be to get pneumonia vaccines? I’m 29 and have had it five times. Never trying to get it again. 

54 minutes ago, #freejame said:

How old do you have to be to get pneumonia vaccines? I’m 29 and have had it five times. Never trying to get it again. 

Honestly, I'm not even sure of the pneumonia guidelines anymore, I've gotten so far away from most primary care stuff over the years that I'm basically a student again. 

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I heard the PA governor is going to attempt to tell his citizens they must wear a mask in their own homes due to the rise in COVID cases in the state. 😂

Is that true or fake news? PA posters chime in. 

I go to other people’s houses. I wear a mask every time.

They know that that law is unenforceable. It’s just there to point out to ####ing morons that they should. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

The Sheriff in my county put out an official statement saying they won’t be enforcing Cuomo’s Thanksgiving order.

Quotes from multiple Sheriffs with the same view : https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/17/us/sheriffs-ignore-cuomo-executive-order-trnd/index.html

Fantastic article on Cuomo; his COVID response, his upbringing, his battles with DeBlasio, etc. Let's just say Cuomo really likes stroking his own ego, that's really 99% of his COVID response.  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/10/19/andrew-cuomo-the-king-of-new-york

• Like (+1) 1