COVID-19

Indabuff

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

My understanding is that new viruses often mutate over time to become more easily spread, but also less lethal to their hosts.

There seems to be some early signs that this is happen with Covid-19.

I asked a similar question upthread.

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

No one decided to watch the video I posted months ago, it was too long and not a "quick easy answer" which is typical of most not in the field. Masks can be and are also highly dangerous to the user, especially the woven face coverings. They are not changed often and not cleaned, that moist environment all day creates a haven for Serratia, Staph, Strep, H flu, etc. I've taken a sample of masks at the end of a day and grew them on Agar plates and the findings were absolutley disgusting. All we are seeing is numbers and cases and blah blah blah, there's so much more out there that we discount to just being defiant. Granted many are defiant for no particular reason, but that doesn't invalidate the negative science behind an extended period of masking. At this point in humanity they have all but disproved sterile field and masking in the OR as a means to prevention of infection, but it's what we know, so surgeons that are 100 years old abide by it, can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

I watched or at least remember a video about mask wearing. 

I would just offer that sometimes doing something, even if it is imperfect is preferential to doing nothing. Masks we know help to some degree, it might not be much but right now that and social distancing is one of the few things we have. From a Public Health perspective, it just has to work a little. 

What you are talking about with not being cleaned enough, that is and was always going to be an issue. Again, though we are trying to tackle 1 problem at a time right now. Even if masks just give ppl a little confidence and piece of mind, that can be beneficial. I know you weren't arguing for or against wearing a mask just offering up some thoughts. That is really all I am doing here since I don't think we will really understand this pandemic for probably a decade. 

1 hour ago, bg17 said:

Tinfoil hat time.

I dont trust any study/report at this point. Some how, some way, this virus became political, and nearly every American news outlet has a political agenda (i say nearly only because i cant say every single one does)

Too many outlets twist facts and numbers to match whatever agenda. Even read one at the beginners that said it was up some crazy percentage, but it was because it went from like 30 to 98 or whatever. Yes the % change was significant but the counts at that time were insignificant.  But you cant report that statement 

I even read one that said masks that go around your head are worse than no mask at all. Logically thinking i dont see how thats even remotely possible and shortly after there was an independent study done at the univ of ga that proved it inaccurate. 

At this point i trust only my own judgment when it comes to the virus and that is to stay home unless necessary. Eventually a working vaccine/treatment will arrive and life will get back to normal. 

End tinfoil hat time

Stay safe my fellow sabres fans

Edited by miles
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The view from next door: propagandists in the social media age have successfully undermined faith in institutions to the point that people's default is to pick and choose what they want to believe and summarily dismiss the rest as unreliable and agenda-driven.

The degree of mistrust for authorities, science and the 4th estate is probably the biggest single factor in the failure to control COVID-19 and a major threat to democracy.

Apologies for a post that is certainly political but anything but partisan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Its hatd to trust though. You have one side saying masks dont help and are not important 

The other side says the exact opposite. 

Both opinions are politically driven and i dont believe either has the people's best interest in mind

Im not Democrats or Republicans. I just miss the days of the two sides working together to try to do what is best for the people as a whole. Neither side is doing what is right at this point. 

Thats as political as I will get. And just adding that in my opinion, they both have proven untrustworthy 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I watched or at least remember a video about mask wearing. 

I would just offer that sometimes doing something, even if it is imperfect is preferential to doing nothing. Masks we know help to some degree, it might not be much but right now that and social distancing is one of the few things we have. From a Public Health perspective, it just has to work a little. 

What you are talking about with not being cleaned enough, that is and was always going to be an issue. Again, though we are trying to tackle 1 problem at a time right now. Even if masks just give ppl a little confidence and piece of mind, that can be beneficial. I know you weren't arguing for or against wearing a mask just offering up some thoughts. That is really all I am doing here since I don't think we will really understand this pandemic for probably a decade. 

Distancing probably can work, in basic science theory, if we could all get along and have a 5 day lockdown, 100% lockdown, chances are we could eradicate the virus. But that's simply not possible and at this point 5 days may not be enough. Everything else up to this point has been such a mess, I've seen it on other continents as well, it's hard wrapping my head around some of the logic I've seen. I was combat trained in the military and I work in a pretty volatile Healthcare field, my mentality is if something is done, it should be done right, when it's not people die. That's harsh to apply to everyday life and a pandemic, but I see so much room for improvement in basic steps that I wonder if they were even thought out in the first place. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

The view from next door: propagandists in the social media age have successfully undermined faith in institutions to the point that people's default is to pick and choose what they want to believe and summarily dismiss the rest as unreliable and agenda-driven.

The degree of mistrust for authorities, science and the 4th estate is probably the biggest single factor in the failure to control COVID-19 and a major threat to democracy.

Apologies for a post that is certainly political but anything but partisan.

This is the unfortunate reality we are facing here.  I think you nailed it.  And I think this is going to end our Great Experiment.

13 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

No one decided to watch the video I posted months ago, it was too long and not a "quick easy answer" which is typical of most not in the field. Masks can be and are also highly dangerous to the user, especially the woven face coverings. They are not changed often and not cleaned, that moist environment all day creates a haven for Serratia, Staph, Strep, H flu, etc. I've taken a sample of masks at the end of a day and grew them on Agar plates and the findings were absolutley disgusting. All we are seeing is numbers and cases and blah blah blah, there's so much more out there that we discount to just being defiant. Granted many are defiant for no particular reason, but that doesn't invalidate the negative science behind an extended period of masking. At this point in humanity they have all but disproved sterile field and masking in the OR as a means to prevention of infection, but it's what we know, so surgeons that are 100 years old abide by it, can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

Ya, you wear it one day and then you launder it. Again, not difficult. 

Cloth masks are cheap now and plentiful. If you go out often you need several. Just wash them. Simple. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, you wear it one day and then you launder it. Again, not difficult. 

Cloth masks are cheap now and plentiful. If you go out often you need several. Just wash them. Simple. 

I just saw them for sale in Hamburg on the street, for 7 dollars a piece, that's not cheap, that's the going rate, if not more. It's easy for me, I work at a hospital so I just grab surgical masks, but to launder masks and have a huge supply for a good chunk of the population is being a little silly. We just had a conversation wayyyy back in this thread regarding dollar menu diets contributing to the comorbidities of the disease, but that doesn't apply to masks? 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I just saw them for sale in Hamburg on the street, for 7 dollars a piece, that's not cheap, that's the going rate, if not more. It's easy for me, I work at a hospital so I just grab surgical masks, but to launder masks and have a huge supply for a good chunk of the population is being a little silly. We just had a conversation wayyyy back in this thread regarding dollar menu diets contributing to the comorbidities of the disease, but that doesn't apply to masks? 

We can get a box of 50 for 7 bucks.

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Oh come on. Shop around. I bought 10 for $30 Canadian. More than enough right there for the year. That's cloth reusable. There's probably cheaper options but these are very good ones with adjustable straps and a double layer pocket if you want to add something for filtration (unnecessary but you can).   

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh come on. Shop around. I bought 10 for $30 Canadian. More than enough right there for the year. That's cloth reusable. There's probably cheaper options but these are very good ones with adjustable straps and a double layer pocket if you want to add something for filtration (unnecessary but you can).   

It's early and I spent all night working, a rather rough evening, I saw 4 Covid positive patients, they were all able to go home..... You know who were the sickest patients of the night though? The 4 that were alcoholics, just absolutley rough, including a young one in total liver failure.

Here we are in 2020 and the rousing topic of convo are mask debates... Wtf happened to this world? 

Off to sleep for me soon

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

If COVID spreads via airborne transmission, does that mean you can get it from farts of a contaminated person?

i read in an article today that is actually the only way to get it.  🙂

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BagBoy said:

If COVID spreads via airborne transmission, does that mean you can get it from farts of a contaminated person?

Kidding aside, I recall an article back around February-March timeframe that mentioned an apartment building in China with open plumbing vent lines in the walls that were a strongly suspected source of an outbreak.

On 10/23/2020 at 10:12 AM, bg17 said:

Washington Examiner took over for Washington Times... on the level of Fox News as far as accuracy

14 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Wtf happened to this world? 

Off to sleep for me soon

Sorry, that's an insular view. It's wtf happened to the U.S.A. not the world, although I know some (not saying you, I don't know you), but some Americans have trouble thinking there is anything outside their borders.

Perhaps that's it? Ya'll went to sleep and let the lunatics take over the asylum.

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sorry, that's an insular view. It's wtf happened to the U.S.A. not the world, although I know some (not saying you, I don't know you), but some Americans have trouble thinking there is anything outside their borders.

Perhaps that's it? Ya'll went to sleep and let the lunatics take over the asylum.

I've been to 82 countries, including opening a clinic and an helping to open an orphanage in Uganda 4 years ago, in the past 6 weeks I've been to Brazil, Puerto Rico and Mexico. With all respect, it is the world, even so outside of the USA. Unfortunatley some of my opinion and perspective comes from the amount of exposure I've had in my personal and professional career. Ignorance is bliss, but it's impossible to unlearn and unsee. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I've been to 82 countries, including opening a clinic and an helping to open an orphanage in Uganda 4 years ago, in the past 6 weeks I've been to Brazil, Puerto Rico and Mexico. With all respect, it is the world, even so outside of the USA. Unfortunatley some of my opinion and perspective comes from the amount of exposure I've had in my personal and professional career. Ignorance is bliss, but it's impossible to unlearn and unsee. 

Well I can't talk about Uganda, but I'm simply saying not all countries are the same. 

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

Has the league come out and said what their 2021 plans are exactly in regard to tentative plans for some fans vs no fans, bubble cities etc yet?

No, because the NBA hasn't decided yet.  Once the NBA makes a decision, the NHL will do something.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Washington Examiner took over for Washington Times... on the level of Fox News as far as accuracy

I have noted this many times here:  The Washington Examiner was a free weekly, distributed in baskets at bus stops and metro stations.  It is as prestigious as the Amherst Bee or Artvoice.