COVID-19

Indabuff

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Now I want a Whopper.

I just ate an Impossible Whopper. The one I had when they first came out was meh. This one, maybe because I heated it up when I got home — I wouldn't have known it wasn't beef. That's probably as much of a statement about BK's beef as the Impossible burger.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Until you taste the roll that the whopper is on.  Loaded with sugar.  Also, check out "food desert."  As is said above, plenty of people do not have access to fresh produce, and those who do know that it is much more expensive than a couple of whoppers.

I can get a bag of frozen brussels sprouts for .79 at Aldi. FWIW there have been studies that vegetables frozen soon after picking are more nutritious than vegetables that make their way to your produce section, destined to be misted every 20 minutes to make them look fresh.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Burger King menu prices:

garden side salad — $1.99

Caesar salad w grilled chicken— $6.19

Large fries — 2.39

Large soda — $2.39

https://www.menuswithprice.com/burger-king-menu/

I submit the notion that 2 whoppers for $5, with a salad and water instead of large fries and large soda, is plenty of food, while also costing less $$ or slightly more and being obviously much better for you.  Even better if you skip part of the rolls per @Eleven’s advice.

Now imagine that you're feeding two people.  And no one had mentioned sides or drinks, except for you.

A salad for each with grilled chicken?  $12.50.

Two whoppers?  $5.

Do you get it yet?  

Not everyone has the money that you have.

31 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I can get a bag of frozen brussels sprouts for .79 at Aldi. FWIW there have been studies that vegetables frozen soon after picking are more nutritious than vegetables that make their way to your produce section, destined to be misted every 20 minutes to make them look fresh.

Great.  There still are people without reach of supermarkets.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m in Chautauqua Lake right now.  There are nearly as many OH plates as NY plates where I am staying.  Pretty sure noone is quarantining here.  Lots of Ohio plates at the grocery store....

I am irrationally angry about this.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LTS said:

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/buffalo-strong/local-business-delivers-fresh-produce-to-western-new-yorkers

There's an option.  There are public markets. 

Buy some seeds, plant some plants.. grow some food.  Get together with neighbors and start a community garden.  There's plenty of responses to the "inner city" problem.  It's certainly not as prevalent as suburban areas, that's not in question. But to dismiss it as "distilled answer"?  The same could be said of your "distilled response".  

People who WANT to eat healthy can find a way.  Even if that includes walking 5 miles to a store and back or riding a bike 10 miles to a store and back.  Exercise and healthy food in one.  How about that?

I think it's easier to say that people CHOOSE to eat the crappy fast "food" because spending $5 for two whoppers allows me to have more money for other things.  They might need those other things, they might be able to live without them just as they choose to live without the healthy food and exercise at which point they are also choosing the downsides that comes with those choices that will cost them more money in the future.

There are people who need the help, but let's not pretend that it's a majority issue.  Instead let's recognize that people are making choices.

More expensive does not mean other food is too expensive.

If you want quality food, make it yourself. You don't get healthy food by eating at a restaurant and you sure as hell aren't going to save money.

I’ll just say this.  When it is relatively easy to do something (find good produce, afford healthier food, have ample time to cook good meals at home) more people will do.  If any/all of those things become more difficult, it’s not they it becomes impossible, but fewer people will be willing to devote the resources doing them.

Everything is a choice, sure, but when something is easier, it’s a lot more likely to actually get chosen.  The more barriers put in someone’s way, the less likely they are to overcome them.

We, as a society, should support initiatives that make it easier for people to make healthy choices, as opposed to expecting people to put in extreme effort and make difficult choices in order to be healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Curt said:

I’ll just say this.  When it is relatively easy to do something (find good produce, afford healthier food, have ample time to cook good meals at home) more people will do.  If any/all of those things become more difficult, it’s not they it becomes impossible, but fewer people will be willing to devote the resources doing them.

Everything is a choice, sure, but when something is easier, it’s a lot more likely to actually get chosen.  The more barriers put in someone’s way, the less likely they are to overcome them.

We, as a society, should support initiatives that make it easier for people to make healthy choices, as opposed to expecting people to put in extreme effort and make difficult choices in order to be healthy.

“Easier” is putting it mildly.  Go tell a single working mother of four in the inner city, who barely has an hour to herself all day, clips coupons and uses food stamps, and who is scared to death about paying the rent every month and keeping her kids from getting arrested or shot, to “grab some seeds and start a community garden.”  PLEASE.  Some of the takes here are so disconnected from reality...

On 8/1/2020 at 4:10 PM, Eleven said:

Now imagine that you're feeding two people.  And no one had mentioned sides or drinks, except for you.

A salad for each with grilled chicken?  $12.50.

Two whoppers?  $5.

Do you get it yet?  

Not everyone has the money that you have.

Dude.

I said that if you're at BK, go ahead and get the 2 whoppers, but don't get the jumbo fries and jumbo sugary soda -- and with the money you save, get a salad and water instead, which costs less than the fries and soda in the case of the cheaper salad and a bit more in the case of the fancy salad.

It's still true if you're feeding 2 people -- get the 2 whoppers, 2 salads and 2 waters instead of 2 whoppers, 2 fries and 2 sugary sodas.

I did NOT say skip the whoppers and spend 2.5x as much.  I think it's important to stay away from wild mis-characterizations and putting words in people's mouths if meaningful conversations are to be had.

I mentioned drinks and sides early in this conversation because I think those are major contributing factors to diabetes and obesity, which are 2 major health issues in the country, both as regards Covid and otherwise.

BTW, most of the people who need to take this advice don't live in inner cities and don't live in food deserts either.

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

For anybody curious about HCQ and whether it is effective or not, there is a website that purports to have links to all the studies researching it.  The website summarizes the study data/results, states whether the study was peer reviewed or not, and provides links to the actual studies.

https://c19study.com

HCQ is being pushed by one game show host / politician and so this belongs in the politics thread, right?

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Dude.

I said that if you're at BK, go ahead and get the 2 whoppers, but don't get the jumbo fries and jumbo sugary soda -- and with the money you save, get a salad and water instead, which costs less than the fries and soda in the case of the cheaper salad and a bit more in the case of the fancy salad.

It's still true if you're feeding 2 people -- get the 2 whoppers, 2 salads and 2 waters instead of 2 whoppers, 2 fries and 2 sugary sodas.

I did NOT say skip the whoppers and spend 2.5x as much.  I think it's important to stay away from wild mis-characterizations and putting words in people's mouths if meaningful conversations are to be had.

I mentioned drinks and sides early in this conversation because I think those are major contributing factors to diabetes and obesity, which are 2 major health issues in the country, both as regards Covid and otherwise.

BTW, most of the people who need to take this advice don't live in inner cities and don't live in food deserts either.

Why did you mention the chicken Caesar salads?  Why did you mention the sides?  No one else had done so.

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think it's important to stay away from wild mis-characterizations and putting words in people's mouths if meaningful conversations are to be had.

Dude.

Would you agree that taking the words out of someone’s mouth (by deleting a perfectly fine post that you just don’t happen to agree with) is just a detrimental to the having of a meaningful conversation?

Asking for a friend.

Just now, Ogre said:

Dude.

Would you agree that taking the words out of someone’s mouth (by deleting a perfectly fine post that you just don’t happen to agree with) is just a detrimental to the having of a meaningful conversation?

Asking for a friend.

It's ok as long as it's not a right-wing point of view that we're eliminating.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/1/2020 at 6:48 PM, Curt said:

It is a main reason you see voting policies in certain places the way they are. But the more important thing right now is that vaccines when they become available need to be free or almost no cost and there needs to be vaccines in poor urban areas with the corresponding health promotion campaign to make sure ppl get it. 

Edited by LGR4GM

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

And I’ll be completely honest. 

This really pisses me off!

How often are you telling people they need to link with facts when they make random claims!

I’m not necessarily saying you’re wrong (although every cell in my body is telling me you are), the CDC is telling you your wrong. 

https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2019/18_0579.htm

And out of all those groups listed here as the highest rates of obesity ( and health issue arising from it), how many predominantly live in the inner city?

We wonder why there are racial disparities?! 

JFC!

BTW, there is no universe in existence where a whopper is a healthy food item.