COVID-19

Indabuff

30 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I wasn't planning on moving your post, but it led inexorably into a couple of others that clearly merited moving, so yours got caught in the draft.

So there is no issue with mentioning that the Governor of Georgia eliminated the ability of Georgia counties and cities to require mask wearing?

Just now, Weave said:

So there is no issue with mentioning that the Governor of Georgia eliminated the ability of Georgia counties and cities to require mask wearing?

I think it should go in the politics club, but I'm not inclined to move every post that lands in the gray area.  But when it becomes part of a political temper tantrum spasm of posts -- and this one, like most of them, was easily foreseeable -- the whole spasm generally gets moved.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I think it should go in the politics club, but I'm not inclined to move every post that lands in the gray area.  But when it becomes part of a political temper tantrum spasm of posts -- and this one, like most of them, was easily foreseeable -- the whole spasm generally gets moved.

?

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

For what it's worth, it often seems like you're the one throwing the temper tantrum through your mod actions.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’m not sure if what I read is actually representative of what most of you are living.

But every conversation Americans seem to be having about COVD-19 is political.

Up here, it's kinda like “The doc said this, guess I better do what the doctor ordered” and most of what the doctor ordered has been more about suggestions than rigidly enforced rules.

I’m not saying we’re without the “no one tells me...” or “it’s all a conspiracy types...” but they’re mostly random Facebook posters, not real people I’m dealing with in person.

I don’t think I’m the blackest pot or kettle, but I’m certainly a cooking vessel.    Viruses infect more than lungs.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Meh. Even I would have moved LGR’s post.

I'm sure you would. 

2 hours ago, Weave said:

No comment. 

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

seems legit martin freeman GIF

2 hours ago, Neo said:

I don’t think I’m the blackest pot or kettle, but I’m certainly a cooking vessel.    Viruses infect more than lungs.

Is there a sense that more than your health is being challenged, but your way of life?

I think a majority of us are listening to our top public health official and treating her word like that of a trusted personal GP. I think most of us don’t hear a lot of politics in her words and think her agenda is focused on keeping us safe. And generally speaking our politicians on both sides of legislature are following her lead - which, as I said earlier, has been gentle - instead of pushing themselves into the forefront.

Maybe we find it easier to trust because we have had more reason to. Maybe our culture and/or our social support network is more used to prioritizing health, and therefore more suited to this particular situation. Maybe we’ve just got lucky in how the virus manifested.

Your heightened sense of individualism and proaction has served you well in so many areas, but maybe this is a situation that demands patience and bowing to the collective.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Weave said:

There were three conspiracy types in my office.  One was threatened with losing his severance pay if he didn’t start wearing a mask.  The other two wear them and complain about it at every opportunity.

That's the one good thing about all of this, that I don't have to listen to any of these people anymore.  I never heard much conspiracy stuff around the office, but I just don't like people.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

That's the one good thing about all of this, that I don't have to listen to any of these people anymore.  I never heard much conspiracy stuff around the office, but I just don't like people.

The only places I hear the conspiracy stuff is out in public. I was waiting outside uBreakiFix the other day and some lady was telling me that wearing a mask will give you pneumonia. These people always want to talk to me...

21 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The only places I hear the conspiracy stuff is out in public. I was waiting outside uBreakiFix the other day and some lady was telling me that wearing a mask will give you pneumonia. These people always want to talk to me...

Well, you certainly look gullible enough....

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, nfreeman said:

clearly merited moving,

Please tell me why this was moved to the politics thread:

How stupid is this?  It's stupid enough to not have it [wearing masks] as a statewide requirement; it's a special level of stupid to prevent municipalities and counties from having their own requirements.

Edited by Eleven

I'm sort of perplexed.  The media is reporting that cases are soaring in many states but I get the sense that the general demeanor of people is sort of lax, at least in WNY.  Am I not seeing the big picture?  Not sure if this has been spoken about recently.  

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

Please tell me why this was moved to the politics thread:

How stupid is this?  It's stupid enough to not have it [wearing masks] as a statewide requirement; it's a special level of stupid to prevent municipalities and counties from having their own requirements.

Well, @nfreeman has been on the board several times since I asked this question, including within the last ten minutes, so I suppose there is no answer.

Please don't move posts haphazardly to the politics thread.  And please don't do it because of YOUR political beliefs, which you have done numerous times.

You're a good mod.  And I'm hesitant to criticize mods because I know it's hard, unpaid work.  

But your actions in this thread show a very clear political bias.  Even a post that doesn't mention a politician, doesn't mention a party, doesn't mention anything about politics, gets moved.  Into a forum that I do moderate, BTW.  Meanwhile, numerous similar posts, that don't mention politicians, but which present a right-wing  POV, remain.  

I know you, I think you're a good person, but I think you should step out of moderating this thread.  You are not handling it even-handedly.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

Is there a sense that more than your health is being challenged, but your way of life?

I think a majority of us are listening to our top public health official and treating her word like that of a trusted personal GP. I think most of us don’t hear a lot of politics in her words and think her agenda is focused on keeping us safe. And generally speaking our politicians on both sides of legislature are following her lead - which, as I said earlier, has been gentle - instead of pushing themselves into the forefront.

Maybe we find it easier to trust because we have had more reason to. Maybe our culture and/or our social support network is more used to prioritizing health, and therefore more suited to this particular situation. Maybe we’ve just got lucky in how the virus manifested.

Your heightened sense of individualism and proaction has served you well in so many areas, but maybe this is a situation that demands patience and bowing to the collective.

That’s the right point.  For the record, there’s not a collective view I’ve not personally bowed to.  My ire is aroused when one group disparages those with different opinions.   I’m a safe conformist, if you allow for working with a mask and dining out with distancing to be considered safe.    My behavior is within one standard deviation of any policy expert.   I suspect most everyone here is similarly situated.  I’ll not call others, as smart as me and as ethical as me, names because they behave differently, live somewhere else, or vote differently.  There aren’t many things I disagree with in terms of suggested behavior.  But, I’m smart enough to know others aren’t dumb. I respect their views no less than mine.   Given the total cluster flack this is with regard to expected outcome, “certainty” is a baseless vanity.  Be safe, make decisions, be mindful of others who also make decisions ...   Respect me and I’ll respect you.   Tell me you’ve got it figured out, and the clueless don’t, well ....  I get fidgety. 

On 7/16/2020 at 10:56 PM, dudacek said:

I replied to your post, above, but didn’t address your initial question, health vs way of life.  Straight to the point, you are.

I am a 59 year old,  insulin dependent Type I diabetic.  I am 5’ 11” and weigh 215.  Any male relative I can remember died of heart disease between ages 48 and 74.  I am COVID risk ground zero.

I don’t worry about my health.  Why worry?  My DNA and cumulative life choices are what they are.  I choose to live, not stay alive.  Bring it.  So far, so good.*

Way of life is a far greater issue to me, and moves me more.  Caution - way of life doesn’t mean lifestyle, party and rich food.  Way of life, to me, is how I see the world and my tiny role therein.  My greatest pain, greatest sadness, arises in the lack of engagement that fuels me.  While I have long periods of introversion and reflection, I emerge and engage, engage, engage.

I wasn’t built to self quarantine, virus or not, and I’m not unique.  My brain makes me be safe.  My heart and gut ache.  Imagine my empathy for the similarly constructed and my antipathy for their myopic critics.  Raise antipathy to the power of three when the criticism is deduction, debatable in terms of efficacy, subject to change, rooted in chauvinism, delivered by amateurs with moral superiority, and ad hominem.   As an aside,  deduction is a virtue more often than not.  It can be an obstacle in biological science.  Time will tell.

If you count illness and casualty only in terms of coffins or ICU beds, you’re missing a much more significant big picture.

*. I got blood test results, today.  The physicians on SabreSpace know how thorough the tests are for men in my situation.  I’m “green”, everywhere with a current 5.9 A1c.  It ain’t easy.  I have no complaints.  I can’t wait to see my doctor.  I’m going to hug the bastard.  I’m bending my own curve.  It’s all any one of us can do.

Edited by Neo
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Neo said:

I replied to your post, above, but didn’t address your initial question, health vs way of life.  Straight to the point, you are.

I am a 59 year old,  insulin dependent Type I diabetic.  I am 5’ 11” and weigh 215.  Any male relative I can remember died of heart disease between ages 48 and 74.  I am COVID risk ground zero.

I don’t worry about my health.  Why worry?  My DNA and cumulative life choices are what they are.  I choose to live, not stay alive.  Bring it.  So far, so good.*

Way of life is a far greater issue to me, and moves me more.  Caution - way of life doesn’t mean lifestyle, party and rich food.  Way of life, to me, is how I see the world and my tiny role therein.  My greatest pain, greatest sadness, arises in the lack of engagement that fuels me.  While I have long periods of introversion and reflection, I emerge and engage, engage, engage.

I wasn’t built to self quarantine, virus or not, and I’m not unique.  My brain makes me be safe.  My heart and gut ache.  Imagine my empathy for the similarly constructed and my antipathy for their myopic critics.  Raise antipathy to the power of three when the criticism is deduction, debatable in terms of efficacy, subject to change, rooted in chauvinism, delivered by amateurs with moral superiority, and ad hominem.   As an aside,  deduction is a virtue more often than not.  It’s can be an obstacle in biological science.  Time will tell.

if you count illness and casualty only in terms of coffins or ICU beds, you’re missing a much more significant big picture.

*. I got blood test results, today.  The physicians on SabreSpace know how thorough the tests are for men in my situation.  I’m “green”, everywhere with a current 5.9 A1c.  It ain’t easy.  I have no complaints.  I can’t wait to see my doctor.  I’m going to hug the bastard.  I’m bending my own curve.  It’s all any one of us can do.

In a board populated by many gifted and expressive writers, you are likely the most eloquent.

So my inability to grasp your position in this ongoing conversation has been confounding.

I do now. Thank you.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I have a feeling I’m just being used as a pawn in some other argument you may be having. So be it. However, I’ll let nfreeman decide, but I don’t think writing the word “politics” or “political” makes a post political. It’s usually the negative insinuations towards other posters and endless arguing that usually pop up when people start talking about their political views or beliefs. 

1.  You are being used as a pawn in another argument.  There is a double standard in this thread.

2.  I regret using you as a pawn, but, at this point, I'm more Howard Beale and not so much Harry Neale.  That's on me, but I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1