COVID-19

Indabuff

On 7/10/2020 at 7:13 PM, Weave said:

Yeah, as said already, the death rate is only a fraction of the story.  The long term issues look alot worse than what influenza is capable of.  We need that rate as well.

This is the thing that concerns me the most as a young person. I'm trying to imagine having lungs that are messed up like I have pneumonia for the rest of my life. That sounds pretty not great. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

This is the thing that concerns me the most as a young person. I'm trying to imagine having lungs that are messed up like I have pneumonia for the rest of my life. That sounds pretty not great. 

That battle with pneumonia I had those few years back kicked my ass. I had one of those lung function tests six months afterwards where they put you in the glass case and measure how much air you can breathe. 

I didn’t do well. I’m not blaming just the bacteria that ***** me up, I have a good case of silicosis, two significant exposures to asbestos and I smoked until I was 27. 

Lung disease killed my Pop. It was an agonizing death. 

Where your mask, Dude! Your another one of those posters that I like!

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Ogre said:

That battle with pneumonia I had those few years back kicked my ass. I had one of those lung function tests six months afterwards where they put you in the glass case and measure how much air you can breathe. 

I didn’t do well. I’m not blaming just the bacteria that ***** me up, I have a good case of silicosis, two significant exposures to asbestos and I smoked until I was 27. 

Lung disease killed my Pop. It was an agonizing death. 

Where your mask, Dude! Your another one of those posters that I like!

I'm all in on the mask thing. It's such a minor duty to take on for the benefit of my neighbors. I wore one for 3 hours straight yesterday at the flea market. It's fine and anyone can wear one anywhere once they get over themselves. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm all in on the mask thing. It's such a minor duty to take on for the benefit of my neighbors. I wore one for 3 hours straight yesterday at the flea market. It's fine and anyone can wear one anywhere once they get over themselves. 

Thank you for summing it up so succinctly. It is so ***** easy to wear a mask and it's so beneficial for everyone around us.  People who refuse to wear masks in public...I wish I knew a way, or a line of reasoning that would make them question their choices.

• Like (+1) 4

On 7/10/2020 at 5:30 PM, North Buffalo said:

The positive perspective has some flaws.  Yes elderly are more vulnerable... but covid is causing weird blood clots that cause heart attacks, PEs and brain aneurysms that result in long term care after covid symptoms are over.  These cases are even occurring in people that were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic so not sure I believe the analysis and these problems are occurring in younger people.  If what he says is true then why are these hospitals reaching capacity when then otherwise wouldnt?   

Yeah, the death rate is not the most compelling statistic for me, given the stories I'm hearing about people having "recovered" only to find that they've sustained some form of long-term damage to an organ system (lungs, etc.).

I do wish we could get definitive hospitalization data. I keep hearing, from certain sectors, that COVID hospitalizations are being over-reported because anyone in the hospital, for any reason, who tests positive is being categorized as a COVID hospitalization. The question being: How often is this actually happening? Is it inflating the data point? And, as I think @North Buffalo noted, if that's the case, then why are dozens of ICU's bursting at the seams?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yeah, the death rate is not the most compelling statistic for me, given the stories I'm hearing about people having "recovered" only to find that they've sustained some form of long-term damage to an organ system (lungs, etc.).

I do wish we could get definitive hospitalization data. I keep hearing, from certain sectors, that COVID hospitalizations are being over-reported because anyone in the hospital, for any reason, who tests positive is being categorized as a COVID hospitalization. The question being: How often is this actually happening? Is it inflating the data point? And, as I think @North Buffalo noted, if that's the case, then why are dozens of ICU's bursting at the seams?

I dont think so and from what I can tell, surmise based on what happened here and as Brawndo mentioned Covid is causing heart attacks, embolisms, DVTs, PEs, and other blood clots.

10 hours ago, darksabre said:

Mrs. iT started making replicas of the horizontally pleated mask I shared pics of a while back. Super comfortable. It’s not in production anymore so she’s whipping me up a few. 

The tinknocker’s apprentices have been making tens of thousands of the metal nose pieces for the masks so I’m picking her up a handful of them from the Hall to give them an even better seal.

I don’t think there’s any more hibiscus fabric though.

• Like (+1) 1

It seals tightly around your face and moves easily when you talk. It sits away from your mouth so it’s not as damp and doesn’t stick to your face. I have less than optimal breathing capacity and it really helps me breathe much better. Especially at PT when I’m on the arm bike.

782ADCE3-CBD9-4D56-8EB7-53627B1373B1.jpeg

Edited by Ogre
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Ogre said:

It seals tightly around your face and moves easily when you talk. It sits away from your mouth so it’s not as damp and doesn’t stick to your face. I have less than optimal breathing capacity and it really helps me breathe much better. Especially at PT when I’m on the arm bike.

That’s pretty cool. I’m going to look for one like that. Does Mrs. iT (or is it Mrs. Ogre now) have an Etsy site?

56 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That’s pretty cool. I’m going to look for one like that. Does Mrs. iT (or is it Mrs. Ogre now) have an Etsy site?

Not yet. She thinks they look goofy and that I’m the only one that would want one. I’ll definitely encourage her. 

Oh and a wiseman once told me that it was a baaaaad idea to refer to your wife as an Ogre. That’s why she’s still Mrs. iT?.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

Super sexy.  Does it come in an even sexier version for women?  Asking for a friend ...

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

Dude, you're whiter than me!

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Super sexy.  Does it come in an even sexier version for women?  Asking for a friend ...

So far this is the only one. She whipped it up last night so I could try it at PT today. She’s been ordering all sorts of fabric. I got this one not because I’m Irish(she is) but because I was lucky to get one. Know what I mean?

I’d really like a Fluer De Lit mask. To go along with those “prison yard stares.” Anyone know what I’m referencing?

She will be encouraged to hear that people like the mask. I’m willing to wager that she goes straight to work on them when she sees all the feedback.

35 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Got some new Sabres masks in. Hopefully the masks are more consistent than the team. 

Those masks will be as faithful as the wearer.

• Like (+1) 1

An opinion, rational and human, without chauvinism, tribalism and self righteousness.   Gracious and reasonable.  A university professor and lawyer ... ethics and torts!.  Read away.    I’ll ponder how this thoughtful man survives the academy.    

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-ill-be-on-campus-this-fall-11594661493?mod=hp_opin_pos_2

31 minutes ago, Neo said:

An opinion, rational and human, without chauvinism, tribalism and self righteousness.   Gracious and reasonable.  A university professor and lawyer ... ethics and torts!.  Read away.    I’ll ponder how this thoughtful man survives the academy.    

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-ill-be-on-campus-this-fall-11594661493?mod=hp_opin_pos_2

I could read the first paragraph and a half......

Anyway, everyone has choices to make.  If the local government and university decide it is safe enough to hold in person classes, and this guy chooses to teach in person, as long as everyone adheres to all safety guidelines, there is no problem.

• Like (+1) 1