COVID-19

Indabuff

1 hour ago, Crosschecking said:

What’s wrong with this picture?

E7AB9C8E-DFD1-4080-80A1-6187A757C258.jpeg

Perhaps this belongs in the pedant thread (as in almost certainly) ...but what's wrong here is our failure to discern the difference between the definitions of the words antisocial and asocial.  Antisocial is vandalism, fighting, harassing people, theft, etc.  Anti - as in "against".  Asocial is people chilling out alone.  A - as in "not".  If I go out and start fires and loot, I am antisocial.  If I stay at home alone and don't bother anybody, I am asocial.  Society needs to relearn this distinction, just as it needs to relearn the fact that "melty" is not a real word. 

#AsocialPedantaryPride!

• Like (+1) 3

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine enters phase 2/3 clinical trial

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/astrazeneca-s-covid-19-vaccine-enters-phase-2-3-clinical-trial

First human trial of potential antibody treatment for Covid-19 begins

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/health/eli-lilly-antibody-therapy-human-trial-covid-19/index.html

Edited by Zamboni

56 minutes ago, bg17 said:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

Opinion written on April 1 with no source for the statement. Interesting that there's no mention of asymptomatic spread. We've learned a lot since then, for example that people spewing out virus in indoor spaces could help spread the disease through aerosolization. And it's important to remember at that time there was an effort to maintain PPE stocks for healthcare workers.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BagBoy said:

Perhaps this belongs in the pedant thread (as in almost certainly) ...but what's wrong here is our failure to discern the difference between the definitions of the words antisocial and asocial.  Antisocial is vandalism, fighting, harassing people, theft, etc.  Anti - as in "against".  Asocial is people chilling out alone.  A - as in "not".  If I go out and start fires and loot, I am antisocial.  If I stay at home alone and don't bother anybody, I am asocial.  Society needs to relearn this distinction, just as it needs to relearn the fact that "melty" is not a real word. 

#AsocialPedantaryPride!

That’s not where I was going. Look at the beer can.

10 hours ago, spndnchz said:

I don’t know where to put this, thread wise, but it’s cool it Tuesday.  Let’s just chill and write about hockey for a while. 

Maybe go post this in a hockey thread? Or is today's made-up board rule that we can't discuss COVID-19?

It's close enough to Wednesday to post and still adhere to cool it Tuesday.

I heard a term (well, two terms) that I never knew existed today. ICU Syndrome (and Post ICU Syndrome.)

Apparently you can hallucinate for the fear and stress and probably meds in the ICU, and people who survive Covid potentially will have to deal with that as well.

Pretty crazy, and interesting, and awful.

Edited by SwampD

7 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

I guess if you love PBR, have at it. Besides, I thought this was Labatt Blue territory.

As the saying goes, "My favorite beer is cold and free."

• Like (+1) 1

I'm really sick of these celebrities and companies telling me we're all in this together and they're here for me.  Really?  If you're really here for me why not get your ass over here and edge and mulch my landscaping.  Don't forget to bring beer on your way over. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

I'm really sick of these celebrities and companies telling me we're all in this together and they're here for me.  Really?  If you're really here for me why not get your ass over here and edge and mulch my landscaping.  Don't forget to bring beer on your way over. 

If Clint Eastwood brings PBR to my house, I'd be perfectly happy to have him sit and watch me do my own yardwork!

So, traveling under COVID is weird. I’m in Detroit for business.  Traffic is less than normal here.  Rest stops on the way had almost noone in them.  Food vendors closed so you had to hit the vending machines.  Made great time though.

The hotel has maybe 10 rooms booked.  No breakfast buffet.  You have to “order” your continental breakfast choice and eat it in your room.  

Restaurants here opened up at 50% capacity yesterday and the one I ate dinner in had just a fee people in it, which made me feel alot better.

Still not comfortable, but at least it isn’t busy.

It’s really interesting to see a commercial for a new movie and not hear the phrase, “In theaters Friday.”

They just said, “On demand Friday.” Took me seeing the commercial a dozen times before I realized it was weird.

As expected, the re-opening of Texas has resulted in a surge of Covid cases.  Here in Tarrant County, our curve was looking pretty good.  We had a peak of new cases the first week in May that was attributed to adding local prison cases to the county's numbers.  That week we had 1119 new cases.  But then they dropped off to 735, 544 and 531 in the weeks following.  As the reopening caught up to us though, number of new cases started rising:  659 last week, and with 4 days counted this week we're already at 667.  If you extrapolate that out over a full week we could end up as high as 1167 which would be an all-time high for the county. 

It's ironic that the state reopened the first week in May; that's when we had the most new cases.  There was no reason to reopen:  No reductions thresholds were reached; in fact things were still rising.  After a brief interlude where cases dropped off for a couple weeks, the effects of re-opening have been seen, and they're not good.  It sure didn't help that our governor merely "suggested" mask use.  I don't go out much, but when I do, I see perhaps a slight majority of people wearing masks properly.  The rest, maybe a third of people or so, don't wear them at all, or don't wear them properly.  And at this point lots of people aren't even considering 6 feet spacing.

Add in the protests, and things look like they may get quickly out of control.

It's not a good time.

Vancouver Island hasn’t had a new case in more than a month and our Provincial Health Officer is being heralded in the New York Times as an example of how to lead.

The re-openings that began two weeks ago are accelerating and the sense of relaxation is palpable. Overconfidence means a second wave seems inevitable.

Edited by dudacek

@Doohickie -- it's important to remember that the new case numbers are inevitably going to rise as testing becomes more widespread.  I think the more important numbers are virus-related deaths and hospitalizations.  It will be important to evaluate any changes in those figures pre- and post-reopening (with a time lag adjustment as I think it takes about 2 weeks on average for the virus to cause debilitating health effects).

• Like (+1) 2