COVID-19

Indabuff

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

People bitching about shutting down public assemblies to slow the spread of this as if it's some government takeover of our rights are just ridiculous 

The measures that would be necessary to have an Italian style shutdown would likely require suspending Habeas Corpus. The same people who would be in favor of restrictions would flip a ***** if Martial Law were invoked. Which is my issue. People want measures put in place similar to Europe but don’t realize the consequences of those under our constitution. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

NB, can I ask the ages of the individuals? Just curious if you're seeing any trends on the ground.

30-50 range on the 3 I saw working professionals.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Your in ... was it Long Island?

Southern Westchester, one Hospital in New Rochelle just south of containment zone... the other in Yonkers... my wife works in northern Westchester

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

huh?

You had retweeted something that I found interesting but cannot post here because it's political.  Or at least I think it was you.  There very well could be someone else with the same first name, living in Sweden, and going by MODO on twitter.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Buffalo News says no confirmed cases in WNY.

27 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Some patient from Monroe County, she wasn't at the same facility but another health worker was, so they tested all for potential, she was cleared last night

I watched this PC yesterday....are you saying that they have changed their minds? I can't find saying they're taking walking back this confirmed case..

https://www.mpnnow.com/news/20200312/covid-19-hits-western-new-york-community-goes-on-alert

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

I find reflective mylar (like in those emergency blankets) works nearly as well and reduces neck strain.

Respectfully, the only people who weren't worried last week were wrong or trying to calm people down.

Respectfully, I'm still not worried.

And I don't care if others are calm or not.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That's cool. Maybe worried is the wrong wording. I'm not "worried" per se, but I'm taking precautions like having some basic food in the house for an extended stay. Not taking basic precautions is cavalier at best.

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Until you have to go to the store to pick up a random item.  Then you'll care if people aren't calm.  The run on stores is truly a sight to behold.  Yesterday I stopped to pick up a box of spaghetti for dinner at a store that would have maybe 3 customers at that time.  Each of their 5 or 6 registers had lines of 3+ people each with full shopping carts.  And of course it's those highly necessary items like bottled water since all of our faucets are now broken.  Just my luck, I wound up next to the super chatty old guy who wanted to know my life story.  You try staying calm when an old guy is rambling on and on about how back during the war they used to wear onions on their belt because it was the style at the time.

One lady did get things right though.  Her full shopping cart?  Nothing but alcohol... they kind you actually get to drink, not the homemade hand sanitizer variety.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

For those concerned about reliable information sources I suggest not listening to the  TV news, social media, random blogs, sports radio hosts or what you heard from a friend.  The doctors you hear pontificating on TV and the internet are largely getting their information from the published literature.  Here is a good resource that I found from the National University of Singapore that is compiling the latest information and research in a weekly digest format.  You can either scan the summaries or dive deeper into the provided citations so that you can look up and read the papers for yourself.  No middle man/woman required.

https://sph.nus.edu.sg/covid-19/

My mother always said the worst curse to put upon someone was "may you live in interesting times". 

My good friend is a nurse at ECMC. 2 unconfirmed cases in the ER in quarantine as of last night and a family that just returned from France.

Just be patient, kind, and careful. Be extra nice to the people working the checkout registers, etc. 

There's no win. We either take precautions and the outcome isn't as horrifying as potentially expected and everyone crows that it was no big deal/overblown, or we don't take precautions, ***** hits the fan, and we're all standing there with our proverbial sausage in our hands going "why didn't someone do something?"

I personally don't care to find out how well I handle bilateral pneumonia, nor do I care to see how my ailing 73 year old father takes to it when a simple cold almost knocked him out this month. But if people wanna doomsday prep, well, whatever. No sense in getting nasty when this is out of everyone's control. We're all learning how to handle this unprecedented situation. 

giphy-1.gif

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Until you have to go to the store to pick up a random item.  Then you'll care if people aren't calm.  The run on stores is truly a sight to behold.  Yesterday I stopped to pick up a box of spaghetti for dinner at a store that would have maybe 3 customers at that time.  Each of their 5 or 6 registers had lines of 3+ people each with full shopping carts.  And of course it's those highly necessary items like bottled water since all of our faucets are now broken.  Just my luck, I wound up next to the super chatty old guy who wanted to know my life story.  You try staying calm when an old guy is rambling on and on about how back during the war they used to wear onions on their belt because it was the style at the time.

One lady did get things right though.  Her full shopping cart?  Nothing but alcohol... they kind you actually get to drink, not the homemade hand sanitizer variety.

I had heard that our local Costco was a mad house late last week and over the weekend with the TP and water runs so I avoided it until Wednesday.  I got there when they opened and the parking lot was already jammed packed.  Apparently they got in a new shipment of toilet paper and wipes so the back of the store was a war zone.  Even though we were down to less than 12 rolls of TP in our house I refused to take part in that insanity, although I did walk as close as I could get to observe the madness.  After I picked up a my few items I walked passed the long checkout lines to the fantastic new self checkout kiosks they put in not too long ago and zipped right out of there.

So yesterday when I get home I notice that there is a new pack of 24 rolls of TP on our storage shelf in the garage.  My wife went on her weekly Raleigh Wegmans run on her day off and the shelves were completely stocked, no insanity.

Joke I heard on Stern the other day: 

New IQ equation.... 

IQ = 150 - # rolls of TP currently in your house.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, shrader said:

Awesome.

24 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

I had heard that our local Costco was a mad house late last week and over the weekend with the TP and water runs so I avoided it until Wednesday.  I got there when they opened and the parking lot was already jammed packed.  Apparently they got in a new shipment of toilet paper and wipes so the back of the store was a war zone.  Even though we were down to less than 12 rolls of TP in our house I refused to take part in that insanity, although I did walk as close as I could get to observe the madness.  After I picked up a my few items I walked passed the long checkout lines to the fantastic new self checkout kiosks they put in not too long ago and zipped right out of there.

So yesterday when I get home I notice that there is a new pack of 24 rolls of TP on our storage shelf in the garage.  My wife went on her weekly Raleigh Wegmans run on her day off and the shelves were completely stocked, no insanity.

New IQ equation.... 

A neighbor shared a picture from that Costco yesterday.  Did I see an entire wall of bottled water in the back of that store?  That portion of this craze makes even less sense to me than the TP run.  Do they think all of their faucets suddenly stop working?

And speaking of Wegman's, they can't build that one here soon enough.  That one will be walkable for me.

Ugh, OK.... Yesterday I flew into Miami and then NYC, the number of people wearing masks and improperly using gloves was remarkable. The education on this needs to be better. 

2nd, this virus is only dangerous to the very young, the very old, and those with multiple co-morbid conditions. I would guess that half of those that get it, would be fine in a week without ever knowing they had it. 

The bad part, the incubation period seems to be longer than the normal influenza A or B, and the consequences of this respiratory virus can be attributed to that of SARS, also can cause concurrent pneumonia and possible ARDS (but so can any virus) 

The mass hysteria we are seeing is beyond what should be happening, I just simply don't understand it, not even a little. Toilet paper for a respiratory virus, cmon people. 

Social media, "news", etc have ruined this planet. If we want to beat this, stay home, wash your hands, don't be an idiot. Simple as that. 

My job is now pure Sh1t because of this, every single time an outbreak of anything happens, fear and panic make it 10000x worse than it needs to be. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

A neighbor shared a picture from that Costco yesterday.  Did I see an entire wall of bottled water in the back of that store?  That portion of this craze makes even less sense to me than the TP run.  Do they think all of their faucets suddenly stop working?

And speaking of Wegman's, they can't build that one here soon enough.  That one will be walkable for me.

Yep, not only did they have that wall of water in the back but they had stacks of it sprinkled around the store too.  Nuts.  When we have a hurricane bearing down on us I always fill a few of my homebrew kegs with tap water as there is a real risk of not having water for a period of time, but not with this.

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ugh, OK.... Yesterday I flew into Miami and then NYC, the number of people wearing masks and improperly using gloves was remarkable. The education on this needs to be better. 

2nd, this virus is only dangerous to the very young, the very old, and those with multiple co-morbid conditions. I would guess that half of those that get it, would be fine in a week without ever knowing they had it. 

The bad part, the incubation period seems to be longer than the normal influenza A or B, and the consequences of this respiratory virus can be attributed to that of SARS, also can cause concurrent pneumonia and possible ARDS (but so can any virus) 

The mass hysteria we are seeing is beyond what should be happening, I just simply don't understand it, not even a little. Toilet paper for a respiratory virus, cmon people. 

Social media, "news", etc have ruined this planet. If we want to beat this, stay home, wash your hands, don't be an idiot. Simple as that. 

My job is now pure Sh1t because of this, every single time an outbreak of anything happens, fear and panic make it 10000x worse than it needs to be. 

I mean.. I went out to the liquor store.. I was out of bourbon, gin, and rum.  But this time, just to be safe, in addition to the normal rum I also bought overproof Plantation rum 69% alcohol.  We can't have germs living on my ice cubes.

So.. that's my level of panic.  ?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Some patient from Monroe County, she wasn't at the same facility but another health worker was, so they tested all for potential, she was cleared last night.

I thought you reported "confirmed" cases in Erie County.

35 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

New IQ equation.... 

Wrong. IQ=150 - #times you defended TP.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I bought extra toilet paper, not a shitload or anything, but more than I usually do. Social isolation — I don't want to be in the store if the virus is spreading. Pretty basic and definitely not dumb. Hoarding? Sure.

The best thing about this post is knowing that shitload isn't caught by the filter.  Interesting.  In fairness, knowing my wife she would have bought more than one pack but Wegman's had a limit of one per shopper.

37 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

New IQ equation.... 

I can't stand running out of paper products and BJs always has coupons and deals so I always buy there. This time the deal was buy $100 in select P&G, Swiffer yada yada get a $25 gift card(and I had coupons for everything like always). The only way I could make the deal work was to double up on the giant mega rolls.This was March 2 before surgery and long before the rush. I felt badly as folks were eyeballing me up and down. I also had a giant pack of wipes but only because we had run out days ago(and I had a coupon) so I'm sure that contributed to the looks. OH well, my shenanigans basically got me a free mega roll of Bounty towels as well as the $15 in coupons and $.10 in gas for 30n gallons for another $3 in savings. You gwt the point I'm sure. Long story short, If you're not using Bounty then you're throwing $ right out the window....and I have a shitload of paper towels and tp.(I thought @shrader needed to hear another pointless rambling story?)

• Thanks (+1) 1

Im not gonna get caught up in the hype or run to Wegmans to stock up on stuff. 

My wife and I have 20 rolls of toilet paper. That’s gonna last us 2 months at least. My god who the heck ? three or more times a day where you go thru a roll a day or more? Time for a dr visit then ?

IF I was cut off from all supplies and food today. I have 2-3 weeks of it. No question. Only thing lacking would be fresh fruit and fresh veggies after a few days. But I have frozen bags so that’s not really an issue either. I can respect being prepared and being cautious… But I also see the hype train going wild causing semi-panic with the general public.

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

My god who the heck ? three or more times a day where you go thru a roll a day or more? Time for a dr visit then ?

I have a second colonoscopy in 2 years coming up in two weeks because they didn't do a biopsy on the last one. Sadly. The fistulotomy scared all the doctors that weren't taking my issues as seriously as they should have, now they are scrambling for answers. Even doctors make mistakes I guess.

The extra TP is so we don’t have to get to a store should this virus become widespread in our community.  We bought two 36 roll packs.  I figure best case we don't need to buy TP for quite awhile.

Other than that, our pantry is full.  We are good for a mandatory confinement period if needed.

Wife went to the store last night for our normal weekly grocery shopping and she said the meat counter was bare.  I’ve never seen a run on meat during a natural “disaster “ warning.  So much for steaks tonight.