COVID-19

Indabuff

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

Me either.  

/Said the man who created an entire thread about boobs.  I miss that thread. 

Could have started it in the politics club but may have been misinterpreted!

Edited by North Buffalo

25 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Means I know what I Had in April and now have immunity, for how long who knows?

gonna donate plasma.

So how does this work?  My friend's father had it, was proclaimed "symptom-free," and now is back in the hospital with it again.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/05/08/emminger-tests-positive-again-for-covid-19/

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

He is full of it given other info coming out of the state... ps just got my antibody test results from NYDOH and I am positive.

Glad you most likely have immunity.  Hopefully it brings peace of mind.

Not sure how the Gov would be able to fake the # of hospitalizations & ventilators in use.  His numbers seem to be backed by GA's DPH.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

So how does this work?  My friend's father had it, was proclaimed "symptom-free," and now is back in the hospital with it again.

Yeh me too, checking with red cross donation sites... wife told me there is one near us.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Glad you most likely have immunity.  Hopefully it brings peace of mind.

Not sure how the Gov would be able to fake the # of hospitalizations & ventilators in use.  His numbers seem to be backed by GA's DPH.

If that is true then maybe... just been here nowhere near enough testing down there and lots of in home deaths... who knows but they keep having lots of flare up hotspots so something doesnt add up.

19 hours ago, Eleven said:

Is he back in the hospital? The article doesn't say that he is.

From what I read about this occurring in the far east, it sounded as though people are continuing to test positive based on ... inert (?) vestiges of the virus. The fact that this guy is continuing to feel like sh1t could, then, just be a function of what a nasty virus it is.

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Is he back in the hospital? The article doesn't say that he is.

From what I read about this occurring in the far east, it sounded as though people are continuing to test positive based on ... inert (?) vestiges of the virus. The fact that this guy is continuing to feel like sh1t could, then, just be a function of what a nasty virus it is.

Pretty sure he is but I'll check.

The scary thing is that he was told he was ok, felt ok for a while, and now has symptoms again.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

The article has been edited, too.  I know the phrase "proclaimed symptom-free" was in the original.

The article that's currently online says that he was "declared symptom-free on April 26."

I'm glad that he's on the mend.  

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

WSJ reporting that new symptoms might be appearing, specifically mentioning hypoxemia.  (Sorry--I don't know how to cut and paste from the Apple News app on my phone...)

I think I'd heard of that particular issue being mentioned. It had to do with a report that front-line hospital docs in NYC were coming to the conclusion that ventilators were often doing more harm than good to patients, whose actual mechanics of breathing were actually okay (or, at least, not in need of a ventilator's support) but who nonetheless remained hypoxic (and it not being the least bit clear why that would or could be the case).

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

I think I'd heard of that particular issue being mentioned. It had to do with a report that front-line hospital docs in NYC were coming to the conclusion that ventilators were often doing more harm than good to patients, whose actual mechanics of breathing were actually okay (or, at least, not in need of a ventilator's support) but who nonetheless remained hypoxic (and it not being the least bit clear why that would or could be the case).

Yeah, Woody brought that up a couple weeks ago. He was calling them "happy hypoxic". 

19 minutes ago, Eleven said:

WSJ reporting that new symptoms might be appearing, specifically mentioning hypoxemia.  (Sorry--I don't know how to cut and paste from the Apple News app on my phone...)

It's these reports that just keep me coming back to the fact that we are learning different and new things each day.  I'm not anyone has a firm grasp on all of it. I'm not sure that we can say with any certainty that one course is better than another.

We can certainly hypothesize that limiting contact is effective but to what end?  Are those who are highly susceptible to the virus going to be impacted regardless of when they get it and those who are not going to get through it?  Hard to say.  Obviously having a true vaccine would be exceedingly awesome, but we don't know if we'll get one and every time there are "new symptoms" it makes me wonder if they aren't variations of the virus where a vaccine that was created for what we saw 1 month ago would no longer be effective against what is seen in these patients.

Bottom line?  It's a boatload of uncertainty.

5 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Nephew is clear! So f’in happy happy Joy joy right now

Regardless of how anyone feels about social measures.. news like this will always be welcome!  Such great news.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yeah, Woody brought that up a couple weeks ago. He was calling them "happy hypoxic". 

The WSJ article used exactly that term.

5 minutes ago, LTS said:

It's these reports that just keep me coming back to the fact that we are learning different and new things each day.  I'm not anyone has a firm grasp on all of it. I'm not sure that we can say with any certainty that one course is better than another.

We can certainly hypothesize that limiting contact is effective but to what end?  Are those who are highly susceptible to the virus going to be impacted regardless of when they get it and those who are not going to get through it?  Hard to say.  Obviously having a true vaccine would be exceedingly awesome, but we don't know if we'll get one and every time there are "new symptoms" it makes me wonder if they aren't variations of the virus where a vaccine that was created for what we saw 1 month ago would no longer be effective against what is seen in these patients.

Bottom line?  It's a boatload of uncertainty.

Indeed it is.  

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Finger Lakes region (where I live) is beginning to reopen now. No idea what businesses qualify for the Phase 1 reopening on Friday but good God do I need a haircut 

Please book me for a haircut as well.  I'll buy.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, WildCard said:

Finger Lakes region (where I live) is beginning to reopen now. No idea what businesses qualify for the Phase 1 reopening on Friday but good God do I need a haircut 

Manufacturing and construction is in phase 1.  Looks like I'll be headed back to the office.  Not sure how I feel about that.

15 hours ago, WildCard said:

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/state-news/new-york-releases-list-of-specific-businesses-that-can-reopen-in-phase-one/

That should sort through it for you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1