COVID-19

Indabuff

I bet I can sneak this one in while moderators snore.

I haven't seen one person of color protesting the state "shutdowns." Funny how once the story became how the virus was disproportionately killing black and brown people white folks started pouring into the streets.

Clever one, that Stephen Miller. 

For @Neohttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/connecticut-town-grounds-drone-program-to-fight-coronavirus-amid-outcry.amp

31 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I haven't seen one person of color protesting the state "shutdowns." Funny how once the story became how the virus was disproportionately killing black and brown people white folks started pouring into the streets.

For @Neohttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/connecticut-town-grounds-drone-program-to-fight-coronavirus-amid-outcry.amp

The first quote in the story sounds they’re saying “You can trust us. We wanted to keep you safe by using drones to observe you.” 

I stayed out of the conversation for a while. I wonder if they would’ve still walked it back if people in other parts of the country weren’t protesting other COVID control measures while carrying guns. 

3 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

The first quote in the story sounds they’re saying “You can trust us. We wanted to keep you safe by using drones to observe you.” 

I stayed out of the conversation for a while. I wonder if they would’ve still walked it back if people in other parts of the country weren’t protesting other COVID control measures while carrying guns. 

The people who showed up carrying guns were so stupid that my first thought is that they were the group's political opponents posing as members to make them look bad, but they weren't. 

17 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The people who showed up carrying guns were so stupid that my first thought is that they were the group's political opponents posing as members to make them look bad, but they weren't. 

Yeah, in no way did it show how serious they were. 

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Thank you.   I am new to the protestor conversation.

1).  Drones:   I had two thoughts.   How could government not be aware that citizens chafe and view drone interaction as uncomfortable, to use a word capturing five or six others?   How could that same government then respond and cancel so quickly and graciously?    Perhaps it was simply the well intentioned inclined toward action.  Good for them being responsive representatives and not lecturing elites.

2).  Cell Phones:  If I were a member of some deep state group, I’d have canned the guy who suggested we announce “contact tracing”.  For heaven’s sake, man, where’s your Newspeak dictionary?  Downplay “contact”, something human beings do, and emphasize “spread”, something a virus does.  Downplay “tracing”, something unique to individual humans,  and emphasize “locations”, things that aren’t individual or human,   George Orwell's Big Brother would have announced a Spread Location program using data provided BY hero citizens and their phones.  “Contact Tracing”:   Unintended candor from those so immersed in the state that they don’t even recognize its rubs with free people.

3).  The protests.  I’d not looked before @PASabreFan mentioned them directly to me.  Oh, I was aware, and had seen them.  I mentioned a car-crawl protest of strange bedfellows (for a protest, that is) of soccer moms in minivans and tradesmen in pick up trucks, attorneys in BMWs and office workers in Toyotas.  (Note:  strange bedfellows is not pejorative).   However, I’d NOT seen some of the more recent, gun toting, protests.   I believe I’m seeing two things.   The first was an organic uprising by a group that came to exist specifically because of the virus.  A genuine, we want to go back to work now, crowd.   The second was not so organic and was comprised of people who long ago formed their group specifically because of government.  A genuine, we protest the government every chance we get, crowd.

Respectfully, Neo

Day 52 of self quarantine, er, social distancing, er, not going out so much.

Yeh post quarantine not working in Weschester... too many yahoos not even carrying masks so they can raise them when they get close to others.., definitely gonna see a second wave.  Just went to gas station and cty park.  Most are wearing masks but groups of teenagers getting together and enough people not wearing masks not to see a resurgence... Fin stupid but hey keeps me in a job... sigh... so done with stupid people

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh post quarantine not working in Weschester... too many yahoos not even carrying masks so they can raise them when they get close to others.., definitely gonna see a second wave.  Just went to gas station and cty park.  Most are wearing masks but groups of teenagers getting together and enough people not wearing masks not to see a resurgence... Fin stupid but hey keeps me in a job... sigh... so done with stupid people

Ugh.  And that general region is almost certainly going to be my new home just in time for the annual URI surge in early Fall.

ya, me.

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Wait till they start to travel again...

They already are, many NY well-to-do citizens have migrated here to their homes near the ski lodge. It's making the locals.... Less-than-comfortable. 

I say let everyone loose and let the chips fall where they may. We'll all recover and be fine eventually, or we won't make it....the lion king disney GIF

32 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

They already are, many NY well-to-do citizens have migrated here to their homes near the ski lodge. It's making the locals.... Less-than-comfortable. 

I say let everyone loose and let the chips fall where they may. We'll all recover and be fine eventually, or we won't make it....the lion king disney GIF

That's fine for me but I have elderly parents to consider.  

11 hours ago, Neo said:

Thank you.   I am new to the protestor conversation.

1).  Drones:   I had two thoughts.   How could government not be aware that citizens chafe and view drone interaction as uncomfortable, to use a word capturing five or six others?   How could that same government then respond and cancel so quickly and graciously?    Perhaps it was simply the well intentioned inclined toward action.  Good for them being responsive representatives and not lecturing elites.

2).  Cell Phones:  If I were a member of some deep state group, I’d have canned the guy who suggested we announce “contact tracing”.  For heaven’s sake, man, where’s your Newspeak dictionary?  Downplay “contact”, something human beings do, and emphasize “spread”, something a virus does.  Downplay “tracing”, something unique to individual humans,  and emphasize “locations”, things that aren’t individual or human,   George Orwell's Big Brother would have announced a Spread Location program using data provided BY hero citizens and their phones.  “Contact Tracing”:   Unintended candor from those so immersed in the state that they don’t even recognize its rubs with free people.

3).  The protests.  I’d not looked before @PASabreFan mentioned them directly to me.  Oh, I was aware, and had seen them.  I mentioned a car-crawl protest of strange bedfellows (for a protest, that is) of soccer moms in minivans and tradesmen in pick up trucks, attorneys in BMWs and office workers in Toyotas.  (Note:  strange bedfellows is not pejorative).   However, I’d NOT seen some of the more recent, gun toting, protests.   I believe I’m seeing two things.   The first was an organic uprising by a group that came to exist specifically because of the virus.  A genuine, we want to go back to work now, crowd.   The second was not so organic and was comprised of people who long ago formed their group specifically because of government.  A genuine, we protest the government every chance we get, crowd.

Respectfully, Neo

Day 52 of self quarantine, er, social distancing, er, not going out so much.

Contact tracing has been a staple of public health for decades. Maybe it needs a rebranding, but all it means is you're notified if you were in close contact with someone who's tested positive. You don't get their name. Don't you want that?

State parks and golf courses opened in middle Tennessee last week. Restaurants/malls opened a few days ago. Gyms open back up on Friday. Masks are not required here and I see few people wearing them. 

On Fort Campbell, KY you're required to wear a mask going into any building. I don't get on base much so I'm not sure when that started. 

Drones.  Personally, I have no problem with them being used by law enforcement. I believe I'm in the minority and would like to read opinions from people who are against them. 

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Contact tracing has been a staple of public health for decades. Maybe it needs a rebranding, but all it means is you're notified if you were in close contact with someone who's tested positive. You don't get their name. Don't you want that?

Based on cell phone data?  Maybe I misunderstand what it is ... i have some research to do.

For instance, if i’m in a restaurant that 100 other people visit on May 1, none known to me ...  do i get a text based on iPhone location data?   Am I required to “come in”?   Are MY contacts notified?

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

Based on cell phone data?  Maybe I misunderstand what it is ... i have some research to do.

For instance, if i’m in a restaurant that 100 other people visit on May 1, none known to me ...  do i get a text based on iPhone location data?   Am I required to “come in”?   Are MY contacts notified?

Contract tracing does not necessarily have anything to do with cell phone data.

In some cases, in some places it is being done using cell phone data now.  It is often done by interviewing to gather info about all the places where someone went during a given time period.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/10/814129534/how-the-painstaking-work-of-contact-tracing-can-slow-the-spread-of-an-outbreak

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

Contract tracing does not necessarily have anything to do with cell phone data.

In some cases, in some places it is being done using cell phone data now.  It is often done by interviewing to gather info about all the places where someone went during a given time period.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/10/814129534/how-the-painstaking-work-of-contact-tracing-can-slow-the-spread-of-an-outbreak

Thank you, yes.   The “good old fashioned interview” was something I was aware of.   It’s the cell phone aspect I feel and write about.

25 minutes ago, Neo said:

Thank you, yes.   The “good old fashioned interview” was something I was aware of.   It’s the cell phone aspect I feel and write about.

You can probably relax. The Woodyites and the economy are winning out. The federal guidelines on gating and phases are being ignored by many states. That plan was a good one. Once you get your new cases way down you can do the human detective work, the contact tracing. You can't do it if you have hundreds or thousands of new cases.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You can probably relax. The Woodyites and the economy are winning out. The federal guidelines on gating and phases are being ignored by many states. That plan was a good one. Once you get your new cases way down you can do the human detective work, the contact tracing. You can't do it if you have hundreds or thousands of new cases.

About the economy, not so fast, partner.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/business/j-crew-bankruptcy-coronavirus.amp.html

On 5/3/2020 at 12:47 AM, PASabreFan said:

can you imagine if the protesters in Michigan were black with guns?