COVID-19

Indabuff

55 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Except that they didn't take any money.  Nor did they apply for any money.  The government just auto-allocated it to them.

And what do you think they do with their endowment?  Anyone who goes to Harvard (or Princeton, maybe Yale though I don't know for sure) does not have to graduate with debt, because they make up the difference that you cannot afford.

Except, until they got a lot of public pressure they were going to keep the money.  But, details.

And, pretty sure that what they do with their endowment mostly is grow it.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:18 PM, LTS said:

If I am not mistaken there have been various points in time where deaths were attributed to COVID-19 without actual testing and positive identification. Mostly, I am sure, because they could not actually test everyone to confirm.  I wonder how many deaths could have been simply flu related, etc.  While I am being skeptical of overall reported deaths I am not trying to diminish the seriousness of the situation so much as, the numbers might not be as accurate (while still being significant).

This also... or did we go back and attribute deaths that seemed to match the symptoms and just assume?  (although clearly not in February if the number was 0)

Without being too political here this is a good reason why when people talk about universal healthcare, etc. I don't think it will succeed in the US.  It would be a massive culture shock for people to adopt the lifestyles and priorities that have worked in another culture. 

Spending 1 week in Sweden it was ABUNDANTLY clear that people operated differently and that it stems from an intrinsic social value system that is fundamentally different than the US.

Yes, NYC added several hundred cases to their Covid Death Toll without having confirmation of a positive test. On the flip side their was an article in the Buffalo News where funeral directors feel the number of deaths due to Covid is actually lower then it should be. They are seeing a 30% Increase in the number of deaths compared to this time last year.  

In terms of the when deaths were first reported, there were most certainly fatal cases of Corona in the United States before the testing began, but not at the rates the country is seeing now. That was the purpose of the Tweet I believe to show the rapid Exponential Growth of Deaths in a short period of time. 

In terms of Healthcare, this pandemic has the potential to change the population thought process on the subject. 56% of the Americans who have health insurance get it from their employer. 19.3 from Medicaid , 17.2 Medicare, 16 direct purchase and 4.8 through the military. With 22 million people becoming unemployed over the past six weeks that’s millions who lost their health insurance in the middle of a pandemic. How the majority of Americans get their insurance shouldn’t be tied to their employer. There needs to be other options available. 

• Like (+1) 4

A massive overhaul is dearly needed in the way we deliver Healthcare, it's been very broken for a long time.... But as long as insurance companies, lobbying and medicaid/Medicare are running the show, we are never going to see enough reform needed. I have next to 0% faith that we could even imagine going to a universal type system in our history. 

I wish there was an easy answer to fixing it all, but there are so many layers and the changes would come at the cost of health care providers making much much less than they are accustomed to. This would then have to be tied into the legalities that also come with modern health care. 

Either way, I would be willing to take a fairly decent pay cut to make the system better, I just don't think a majority would agree with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

A massive overhaul is dearly needed in the way we deliver Healthcare, it's been very broken for a long time.... But as long as insurance companies, lobbying and medicaid/Medicare are running the show, we are never going to see enough reform needed. I have next to 0% faith that we could even imagine going to a universal type system in our history. 

I wish there was an easy answer to fixing it all, but there are so many layers and the changes would come at the cost of health care providers making much much less than they are accustomed to. This would then have to be tied into the legalities that also come with modern health care. 

Either way, I would be willing to take a fairly decent pay cut to make the system better, I just don't think a majority would agree with that. 

I honestly think system that functions without needlessly added costs would end up giving you a raise. 

15 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I honestly think system that functions without needlessly added costs would end up giving you a raise. 

I don't know about that, have you ever seen an itemized bill for a patient, it's absurd, 30 bucks for napkins, 185$ for fuel for an ambulance ride that goes 4 miles, etc. 

A lot of that goes up the chain but the providers do benefit with a decent lifestyle. 

In the face of a pandemic, those costs haven't changed, I've actually seen instances of price gouging from some companies on supplies (although, there has been some benevolence as well). 

28 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I don't know about that, have you ever seen an itemized bill for a patient, it's absurd, 30 bucks for napkins, 185$ for fuel for an ambulance ride that goes 4 miles, etc. 

A lot of that goes up the chain but the providers do benefit with a decent lifestyle. 

In the face of a pandemic, those costs haven't changed, I've actually seen instances of price gouging from some companies on supplies (although, there has been some benevolence as well). 

That's kinda what I'm getting at. I think if we a. Eliminate the insurance company graft and b. find better ways to look at the costs associated with care, we can probably find ways to make the system more efficient and cost effective so that those inflated itemized costs go away. 

So many of the problems with healthcare costs are artificial creations of the system itself. 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Thing is there are so many little reforms that would be necessary to get the full system functioning rationally (for lack of a better word) and there are so many oxen that get gored with each particular fix.

A few ottomh: universal preventative care & universal catastrophic care;

removing the tax preference of employer based plans (while adjusting employee pay rates to offset the added cost to employees & reduced costs to employers);

modifying preexisting condition coverage (allowing limited preexisting condition coverage);

getting away from the ACA all plans must cover all procedures (men don't need prenatal care coverage, women don't need to see a urologist - note: talking biology, not gender) guidelines;

insurers should be able to issue policies across state lines;

patients should be able to see prices prior to having procedures performed; and

malpractice insurance reform.

There's more, but that's a start.

21 minutes ago, darksabre said:

That's kinda what I'm getting at. I think if we a. Eliminate the insurance company graft and b. find better ways to look at the costs associated with care, we can probably find ways to make the system more efficient and cost effective so that those inflated itemized costs go away. 

So many of the problems with healthcare costs are artificial creations of the system itself. 

This is true, I just think it is so far down the pipe that it's nearly impossible to turn around. I just know the science behind the medicine pretty well, a lot of the other stuff is over my head, and I'm certainly not getting an MBA anytime soon lol. I think the chances of health care changes hinge on a 3rd party being elected.... Obviously this is never going to happen and I want to Bring this back to Covid and Healthcare (so no political run offs from this please) 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Thing is there are so many little reforms that would be necessary to get the full system functioning rationally (for lack of a better word) and there are so many oxen that get gored with each particular fix.

A few ottomh: universal preventative care & universal catastrophic care;

removing the tax preference of employer based plans (while adjusting employee pay rates to offset the added cost to employees & reduced costs to employers);

modifying preexisting condition coverage (allowing limited preexisting condition coverage);

getting away from the ACA all plans must cover all procedures (men don't need prenatal care coverage, women don't need to see a urologist - note: talking biology, not gender) guidelines;

insurers should be able to issue policies across state lines;

patients should be able to see prices prior to having procedures performed; and

malpractice insurance reform.

There's more, but that's a start.

You hit the nail on the head with this. Nothing about out healthcare marketplace is pro-buyer and it ought to be. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/28/2020 at 3:53 PM, spndnchz said:

I need a haircut desperately.  Chz out. 

I shave my head.  The good news is, I look the same after nearly seven weeks of quarantine.

The bad new is, I look the same after nearly seven weeks ...

Mrs. Neo dyed her own hair over the weekend.  Plastic hats and the smell of chemicals.  The Madison Reed kit arrived by mail.  She’s a “monthly touch up” person when there aren’t pandemics and visited the home the same hairdresser for years.  Frugal, humble and modest, her monthly visit is her only real indulgence, if hair coloring can be considered a treat.  She’s lovely, and I told her so.  Soon, I will be at the bar sipping Manhattans with Chrissy, Clay and Carol.  She’ll be head in the sink, chatting with Heather.  Shrek and Fiona, Beauty and Beast ...

Edited by Neo

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Yes, NYC added several hundred cases to their Covid Death Toll without having confirmation of a positive test. On the flip side their was an article in the Buffalo News where funeral directors feel the number of deaths due to Covid is actually lower then it should be. They are seeing a 30% Increase in the number of deaths compared to this time last year.  

In terms of the when deaths were first reported, there were most certainly fatal cases of Corona in the United States before the testing began, but not at the rates the country is seeing now. That was the purpose of the Tweet I believe to show the rapid Exponential Growth of Deaths in a short period of time. 

In terms of Healthcare, this pandemic has the potential to change the population thought process on the subject. 56% of the Americans who have health insurance get it from their employer. 19.3 from Medicaid , 17.2 Medicare, 16 direct purchase and 4.8 through the military. With 22 million people becoming unemployed over the past six weeks that’s millions who lost their health insurance in the middle of a pandemic. How the majority of Americans get their insurance shouldn’t be tied to their employer. There needs to be other options available. 

From time to time I read what I can on the bolded. Me personally, have shown interest in single payer system, removing the employer / employee choice scenario altogether. I've read a multitude of pros and cons on it, but, FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, who looked at it as a National Security as well as a comfort of life and longevity issue, to maintain the health of the population (go figure, SHAEF, a man of the military who had seen more than his share of death would understand it's overall importance on several levels), Johnson and yes, even Nixon wanted to see something done on health care. To bad the legislative side couldn't get their own greed or narrowmindedness out of the way.

But, as I was saying, I read on this from time to time and I do have some questions, not for the patients/clients of such a system, but more in point, to individuals such as you Brawndo, those that are employees of such a system. Specifically, to maintain cost controls there would most assuredly have to be wage caps within the industry, no?

And if that is the case, how is the supply chain of equipment for the medical field to be handled? Are we to nationalize all medical equipment, from PPE to sophisticated medical machinery production? If so there would certainly be wage caps on those production facilities as well, no? And most certainly pharmaceuticals would have to fall under a government controlled system as a production supply side scenario, very terrifying I am sure, especially for those on blood pressure medication and other key life extending medications.

Then there is the very real concern of allowing government to run health care. Historically speaking, the United States government hasn't really run any financial foundational national program with any success for a various degree of reasons, the most prominent being using such national programs as financial leveraging or as a tool to push a larger agenda, and that goes on almost all of the ideologies that do so.

So, while I would like to see resolution to this situation nationally, I have very real concerns about a few of the issues that may or will arise from such. Just my 2 penny's is all.

Maybe handwashing will survive into the future as a shockingly effective way of reducing infections. Even in hospitals. Imagine a world where healthcare workers wash their hands before putting hands on patients. The docs might even keep (start) doing it!

• Haha (+1) 1

FYI, I'm not sure if anyone is having a hard time finding hand sanitizer, but...

I travel for work and am out in retail stores almost everyday.  most 7-11 convenience stores have a pretty good amount of sanitizer for sale, for the last couple weeks now.

Supermarkets and Walmart is still hit and miss. Get there early enough and you might find it, but not for sure.

18 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

FYI, I'm not sure if anyone is having a hard time finding hand sanitizer, but...

I travel for work and am out in retail stores almost everyday.  most 7-11 convenience stores have a pretty good amount of sanitizer for sale, for the last couple weeks now.

Supermarkets and Walmart is still hit and miss. Get there early enough and you might find it, but not for sure.

We have found a total of 2 bottles of sanitizer since I started working from home 5 weeks ago.

Cant even find isopropyl alcohol to make our own.

17 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

There are not many doctors that would say what you have.  You might have to be the person to lead us out of this nonsense in our healthcare system.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

We have found a total of 2 bottles of sanitizer since I started working from home 5 weeks ago.

Cant even find isopropyl alcohol to make our own.

I have visited  in the last week(for a snack or a quick drink) 7-11 stores in Lockport, Niagara Falls, and Amherst. All have had hand sanitizer at the front near the register....some brand i never heard of before...and it is a little pricey...but it is there (including today at the store in Lockport I was at this morning).

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I have visited  in the last week(for a snack or a quick drink) 7-11 stores in Lockport, Niagara Falls, and Amherst. All have had hand sanitizer at the front near the register....some brand i never heard of before...and it is a little pricey...but it is there (including today at the store in Lockport I was at this morning).

Maybe I need to venture out and widen my search to include counties that have more people than cows.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:06 AM, Scottysabres said:

From time to time I read what I can on the bolded. Me personally, have shown interest in single payer system, removing the employer / employee choice scenario altogether. I've read a multitude of pros and cons on it, but, FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, who looked at it as a National Security as well as a comfort of life and longevity issue, to maintain the health of the population (go figure, SHAEF, a man of the military who had seen more than his share of death would understand it's overall importance on several levels), Johnson and yes, even Nixon wanted to see something done on health care. To bad the legislative side couldn't get their own greed or narrowmindedness out of the way.

But, as I was saying, I read on this from time to time and I do have some questions, not for the patients/clients of such a system, but more in point, to individuals such as you Brawndo, those that are employees of such a system. Specifically, to maintain cost controls there would most assuredly have to be wage caps within the industry, no?

And if that is the case, how is the supply chain of equipment for the medical field to be handled? Are we to nationalize all medical equipment, from PPE to sophisticated medical machinery production? If so there would certainly be wage caps on those production facilities as well, no? And most certainly pharmaceuticals would have to fall under a government controlled system as a production supply side scenario, very terrifying I am sure, especially for those on blood pressure medication and other key life extending medications.

Then there is the very real concern of allowing government to run health care. Historically speaking, the United States government hasn't really run any financial foundational national program with any success for a various degree of reasons, the most prominent being using such national programs as financial leveraging or as a tool to push a larger agenda, and that goes on almost all of the ideologies that do so.

So, while I would like to see resolution to this situation nationally, I have very real concerns about a few of the issues that may or will arise from such. Just my 2 penny's is all.

There needs to a massive overhaul of the healthcare system as a whole. This includes how healthcare providers are reimbursed for their services. Switching all aspects of reimbursement from a fee for service to a value based would be a step forward in this. Providers who are able to give quality care at lower costs should be paid higher than those that don’t. Another way to reduce costs and have more than incentive for physicians to take lower salaries would be to reduce the cost of medical school. Right now the average medical school loan debt is over $200,000. This leads to more graduates pursuing specialties that are more high paying. There can also be a reduction in the discrepancy of salaries between primary care providers versus some higher end specialties. These specialties do require more time in residency but the difference and reimbursement can be astronomical. In particular when the burden for keeping the population healthy falls mostly on primary care providers. Capping the cost of medical school or possibly incentivizing careers in primary care specialties with expanded loan forgiveness would be an option.

Pharmaceutical as well as other medical manufacturing companies do you have Factories as well as sales in nations such as Canada and the European Union  And are still able to be profitable in those regions. In terms of pharmaceutical manufacturing they are produced in countries that have price controls on the cost of medication and yet are able to remain profitable. Something similar in the United States could be proposed and carried out. The cost of producing generic medications can be quite low. One of the suggestions that Elizabeth Warren had during her run for the presidency was actually have the government set up manufacturing plans for a generic medications to be competitive in the marketplace and keep the costs of medications down this I do not agree with. Price Controls are probably the best path forward.  However when one or two manufacturers to get a hold of production of one specific type of medication as seen with certain types of insulin as well as EpiPen‘s they are able to set their prices as high as they desire. As a result we do have increased admissions to the hospital as patients are not able to afford the medications. This results in increasing the cost of healthcare.

The Pandemic has shown the disparity in access to healthcare and overall state of health. The Death Rates amongst African Americans is much higher, as they have higher rates of obesity, diabetes, hypertension and heart disease.  In Buffalo Zip Codes on the East Side have some of the highest rates of Covid infections in WNY, yet they have some of the poorest access to healthcare. A large Concern is the lack of providers who accept Medicaid, mainly to due to the low reimbursement rates.  

Whether a combination of private insurance with a public health option or Medicare for All will be decided by people much smarter then me. That being said a complete overall of the existing healthcare system is necessary on all levels. 

EDIT I should expand further on the access to care comment. With lack of transportation to the suburbs and providers who accept Medicaid, the population is forced to rely on clinics usually associated with hospitals that are often underfunded and overwhelmed. There have been improvements as more services are offered by these clinics, but this coupled with the fact that large swaths of the East Side is considered a food desert by the lack of access to healthy food options and grocery stores. These are contributors to poor overall health outcomes. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 4

A lot of people don't seem to want to notice that daily death totals that were supposed to go down a few weeks after the curve got flattened haven't really done so. This week has seen some of the highest daily death counts of the pandemic. That might be because although the spike in cases was stopped and the curve did get flattened, it's been more a high plateau after that. There have bee some noticeable declines in total new cases, but then it shoots back up again. Sort of a roller coaster ride.

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A lot of people don't seem to want to notice that daily death totals that were supposed to go down a few weeks after the curve got flattened haven't really done so. This week has seen some of the highest daily death counts of the pandemic. That might be because although the spike in cases was stopped and the curve did get flattened, it's been more a high plateau after that. There have bee some noticeable declines in total new cases, but then it shoots back up again. Sort of a roller coaster ride.

The Total Number of Cases will increase as the amount of testing expands. Watching the total number of hospital admissions, ICU Cases and patients requiring airway assist is a better guide. We may be in a prolonged plateau as well. 

• Like (+1) 1