COVID-19

Indabuff

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Here's one for ya, Neo.

Who owns the Smithfield plant that had all the cases of Covid-19?

Someone just asked that question.

Well, I had to Google.   I’ve been watching the Sopranos.  Tyson Foods.  Do you have a point I’m missing, or is this just an opportunity to have fun and connect me to pandemic deaths?

Edited by Neo

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Well, I had to Google.   I’ve been watching the Sopranos.  Tyson Foods.  Do you have a point I’m missing, or is this an just an opportunity to have fun and connect me to pandemic deaths?

Not according to this in Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenniferwang/2020/04/16/the-chinese-billionaire-whose-company-owns-troubled-pork-processor-smithfield-foods/#5948d5032c55

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I have to be careful. I don't want to be on the bottom bunk in the same cell with SwampD. Been there, been done that.

Looks like I just escaped by the skin of my teeth!  You must be so frustrated.  You had me, I’m certain of it!

I feared a laser guided missile.   I am grateful it was just another scud.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

We've been over this multiple times.  If I say that I don't choose the posts to be moved based on political views, and you say "yes, you do" -- you're calling me a liar.

It's not OK. 

No one is calling you a liar.

Do you really not see it?

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

No one is calling you a liar.

Do you really not see it?

And yet you invoked Liger, who freely uses that term and others.

Tell me:  before any of the multiple times you accused me of bias, did you look through the thread and consider the political leanings of all of the posts that weren't moved?  Did you count those and weigh that total against the total number of posts you objected to?  Did you factor in the number of posts that were moved, and break down the political leanings of those posts?  Did you factor in the overall political leanings of the board?  Did you do any type of analysis at all before making the accusations?  Or did you just see a post you didn't like, assume that the reason it wasn't moved must be bias, and then blast away?

It's lazy, it's destructive and it's offensive.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

And the contagion spreads ...

And a hearty thank you sir for stirring up this particular poopstorm!

• Thanks (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Tell me:  before any of the multiple times you accused me of bias, did you look through the thread and consider the political leanings of all of the posts that weren't moved?  Did you count those and weigh that total against the total number of posts you objected to?  Did you factor in the number of posts that were moved, and break down the political leanings of those posts?  Did you factor in the overall political leanings of the board?  Did you do any type of analysis at all before making the accusations?  Or did you just see a post you didn't like, assume that the reason it wasn't moved must be bias, and then blast away?

And a hearty thank you sir for stirring up this particular poopstorm!

Leave me, alone! I haven't spoken to you in weeks and here you are dragging me. Don't interact with me. It's really that simple. 

I look forward to the re-opening of America.  Who don’t?

I am especially interested in the Fed vs State dialogue and action.  I have no prediction, yet.   I do think the States will lead.  They have to.  This pandemic is 3,141 epidemics in the US, alone, each different.  The risk of not re-opening fast enough is approaching the risk of opening too soon.

No one will get this right.  Some may get this “not so bad as to harm more, if differently”.  The latter is enough for me.

I want to point out where our collective goalposts were established before it starts.   We went on lock down to bend the curve below rates where our health care system could handle the illness, recognizing that “handle” means more infections, more admissions, and more deaths.  The object is to live with the illness while we strive for a cure.  We will return to a risky world where people get sick and die.  This result is the result we should expect IF the lockdown and re-opening is a success.

If the dialogue leading to re-opening turns to guaranteeing safety, assuring no new cases, or testing everyone, we’ll have moved the goalposts to another spot on the field.  This won’t be helpful.  This won’t make sense.  This won’t be honest.  Be vigilant, and remember the goalposts.  There aren’t better ones in terms of the outcome while decisions are made.   There shouldn’t be different ones when you exercise hindsight.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Neo said:

I look forward to the re-opening of America.  Who don’t?

I am especially interested in the Fed vs State dialogue and action.  I have no prediction, yet.   I do think the States will lead.  They have to.  This pandemic is 3,141 epidemics in the US, alone.  The risk of not re-opening fast enough is approaching the risk of opening too soon.

No one will get this right.  Some may get this “not so bad as to harm more, if differently”.  The latter is enough for me.

I want to point out where our collective goalposts were established before it starts.   We went on lock down to bend the curve below rates where our health care system could handle the illness, recognizing that “handle” means more infections, more admissions, and more deaths.  The object is to live with the illness while we strive for a cure.  We will return to a risky world where people get sick and die.  This result is the result we should expect IF the lockdown and re-opening is a success.

If the dialogue leading to re-opening turns to guaranteeing safety, assuring no new cases, or testing everyone, we’ll have moved the goalposts to another spot on the field.  This won’t be helpful.  This won’t make sense.  This won’t be honest.  Be vigilant, and remember the goalposts.  There aren’t better ones in terms of the outcome while decisions are made.   There shouldn’t be different ones when you exercise hindsight.

Containment vs. mitigation. I consume too much coverage of this and won't assume everyone knows the difference. Containment is what we were trying to do when the virus reached our country. You find individual people who are infected and isolate them and trace their contacts and quarantine them. It worked until too many people were infected. Then we went to mitigation — social distancing etc. Bend the curve.

I am almost certain the plan now is to get out of mitigation and back into containment. At least that's what Drs. Redfield, Fauci and Birx have been saying. It's what the new guidelines suggest is the way forward. You have to go through "gates" to get into phase one of the re-opening, which involves having declining new cases and hospitalizations for 14 days in a row. Of course these are federal guidelines and the governors are clearly in charge.

Dr. Birx said yesterday the idea is to get back to a baseline of influenza-like-illness reports coming out of hospitals, which this time of year would be approaching 0. Then you can easily tell when an area is starting to have a problem. That area, in theory anyway, would then have resources flooded to it to test and trace and so on. She also said general testing of vulnerable communities (nursing homes, inner city areas, tribal communities) would occur to look for even the asymptomatic cases, to reduce the chance of an outbreak.

To use your analogy, it's not an extra point we have to make to open non-essential businesses and schools back up, and relax social distancing, it's a 47-yard field goal off grass to win the Super Bowl. I think it's going to take longer to get there than you are suggesting. I believe the president, vice president and governors know it, despite the side show nonsense we'll continue to see.

As always, I could be wrong. I'm not an immunologist, but I did develop antibodies to measles.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

A question for the estimable new poet laureate of SabreSpace @Ogre.

I might be able to return to work if my employer agrees to let me use an N95 respirator. A co-worker was given one but was not fitted or test-fitted, whatever the correct term is. He just put it on. So I suspect it will be the same for me.

My question is how much better is an unfitted N95 respirator than a regular old surgical mask? I won't be involved in direct care of Covid-19 patients but will have the random exposure possibility everyone is facing when they can't socially distance.

I'll hang up and listen.

Edited by PASabreFan

I’m watching the protestors in Annapolis.  I see pick-up trucks, construction vehicles, SUVs and mini vans.

I look forward to the interviews and what I expect will be strange bedfellows.  Is this an assembly of the American worker and the constitutional nerd?

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

I’m watching the protestors in Annapolis.  I see pick-up trucks, construction vehicles, SUVs and mini vans.

I look forward to the interviews and what I expect will be strange bedfellows.  Is this an assembly of the American worker and the constitutional nerd?

Neo's the guy who claims not to do much fishin', but he's got a tackle box full of hand-tied flies.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

A question for the estimable new poet laureate of SabreSpace @Ogre.

I might be able to return to work if my employer agrees to let me use an N95 respirator. A co-worker was given one but was not fitted or test-fitted, whatever the correct term is. He just put it on. So I suspect it will be the same for me.

My question is how much better is an unfitted N95 respirator than a regular old surgical mask? I won't be involved in direct care of Covid-19 patients but will have the random exposure possibility everyone is facing when they can't socially isolate.

I'll hang up and listen.

So it will keep you from infecting others as long as you use standard precautions - and they do.  Washing hands, cleaning surfaces before and after use.  To protect you it will depend on the fit and not touching the inside of the mask.  Large masks dont fit me too big under my chin..,nor small because they slide to easy up my chin.  Medium do fit snug all the way around with no gaps.  Ive been tested though for the mask with a hood and sugary smell put in under hood.  So really depends on mask size and fit

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

So it will keep you from infecting others as long as you use standard precautions - and they do.  Washing hands, cleaning surfaces before and after use.  To protect you it will depend on the fit and not touching the inside of the mask.  Large masks dont fit me too big under my chin..,nor small because they slide to easy up my chin.  Medium do fit snug all the way around with no gaps.  Ive been tested though for the mask with a hood and sugary smell put in under hood.  So really depends on mask size and fit

Interesting. I know about not touching the outside of the mask, which makes sense. I'd never heard about the risk of touching the inside with contaminated hands. Makes sense.

Hope you're doing OK, friend.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

You clean your hands first, then cup mask to your face and put bottom strap then top strap over your head. Repeat opposite wash hand first... then take straps off cupping outside of mask.  Put in paper bag to preserve it for next use.

outside is ok to touch once hands clean.  Never touch inside

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I've seen it too many times.  It's a pattern.  And it is destructive and offensive, and perhaps lazy.

I'm going to try to stay off of SS for the rest of today.

Edited by Eleven

One possibility that I hate to bring up: what if we can't develop a vaccine before VOVID-19 mutates too much for the original treatment to be effective?  It becomes like the flu with 30x the morbidity.  At that point, mitigation, containment, and treatment are all the only tools we have.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I'll bite.  I don't see strange bedfellows at all.  I see a cross section of the working class.  The people that Democrats left behind and anchored Trump's support.

Annnnnd... off to the politics club we go.

• Like (+1) 2