COVID-19

Indabuff

50 minutes ago, Neo said:

Setting aside COVID19 and this once in a lifetime world trajectory changing event for a few minutes ...

1).  As I read more about these labs, it’s a wonder we haven’t completely exterminated ourselves.

2).  Examine the acts and language out of the Soviet Union in the days and weeks following Chernobyl side by side with what the Chinese are saying following Wuhan.  I’ll bet $1,000 against a bologna sandwich and take “it came from a bat in a Chinese lab”  against any other position.

3).  My knees are slow to jerk.  My gut is telling them to get moving.  My brain, which will always look for more information, has no objection to my gut‘s urging.

Jim Lorentz, in the lab break room, with a "bologna" sandwich...

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Weave said:

So, what would be the WHO’s motivation for covering for China? 

Aside from staying on their good side to get good raw data, not much.  In this case, with the Communist Chinese now restricting even domestic research, basically none.  The CCP had been relatively open with SARS, so the WHO took their initial responses at face value.  Now that 21,000,000 cell phone numbers were deactivated, they and we have the incentive to push back.  I actually worry that we are helping the CCP get a greater hold over the WHO.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

If I were President Trump, I’d ask The WHO to promise me ....  “we won’t get fooled, again” ... before I resumed funding.

icrackmeup ...

They've got an expression down at Mara Lago, I imagine they've got it here in SabreSpace, fool me once... I forget the rest.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I’d be careful attributing the “Wuhan Lab as the Source” story to political ideology.  The earliest published reports to that effect come from China.   Now, before someone asks me to prove it, I can’t.   That’s why I use the phrase “be careful”.   Dismissing those stories as “right wing” is as knee jerk as claiming they’re knowably true.  I don’t think accidents are mind bogglingly complicated.  I also think the Chinese are as willing to tinker with germs as we are.

Now, cuz I’m ballsy ....   I believe when this is all written, the Wuhan lab will prove to be the source.  Call it the one story that seams to make sense in the sea of incomplete left, right and center media.  You will see other nations join the inquiry.   You are seeing the denials take the form of the usual suspects ...  “this is racist xenophobia when the world needs unity” ...  says China and the head of The WHO.  When you didn't do something, you turn over the records.  When you did something you want secret, you disappear people and yell xenophobia.

Spidey sense .. ymmv.

You might have been referring to another poster, but for the record I don't think the story itself is politically motivated. I think bringing the story back to the forefront at a particular time was politically useful. I'd like to say more!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I’d be careful attributing the “Wuhan Lab as the Source” story to political ideology.  The earliest published reports to that effect come from China.   Now, before someone asks me to prove it, I can’t.   That’s why I use the phrase “be careful”.   Dismissing those stories as “right wing” is as knee jerk as claiming they’re knowably true.  I don’t think accidents are mind bogglingly complicated.  I also think the Chinese are as willing to tinker with germs as we are.

Now, cuz I’m ballsy ....   I believe when this is all written, the Wuhan lab will prove to be the source.  Call it the one story that seams to make sense in the sea of incomplete left, right and center media.  You will see other nations join the inquiry.   You are seeing the denials take the form of the usual suspects ...  “this is racist xenophobia when the world needs unity” ...  says China and the head of The WHO.  When you didn't do something, you turn over the records.  When you did something you want secret, you disappear people and yell xenophobia.

Spidey sense .. ymmv.

I was just asking the question a couple hours ago because I was wondering if the “reports” had any merit. Or just garbage reporting. If someone wants to think I asked the question to get all political up in here ... you couldn’t be more wrong. It was a genuine question I had. Thanks for your logical posts about the topic.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You might have been referring to another poster, but for the record I don't think the story itself is politically motivated. I think bringing the story back to the forefront at a particular time was politically useful. I'd like to say more!

Correct

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Aside from staying on their good side to get good raw data, not much.  In this case, with the Communist Chinese now restricting even domestic research, basically none.  The CCP had been relatively open with SARS, so the WHO took their initial responses at face value.  Now that 21,000,000 cell phone numbers were deactivated, they and we have the incentive to push back.  I actually worry that we are helping the CCP get a greater hold over the WHO.

AP claims the numbers were deactivated and purpose.

https://apnews.com/afs:Content:8717250566

10 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Cuomo said this because not all people were applying common sense 

The longer this continues and the more stories I read (and unfortunately friends/family/people I talk too) the more this frightens me in society.  Seriously, I’ve never been this concerned before but it’s getting scary.  I just took for granted the amount of common sense people had......

@Derrico, no need for a sad face, my friend.

NS loves you!!

You are not part of The Great Satan.  No way, no how.

Now, if you are sad about my first point in the post, well that's another story.  I am sad about that too, but it's not just in Ontario that I feel they are fudging the numbers.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Derrico said:

The longer this continues and the more stories I read (and unfortunately friends/family/people I talk too) the more this frightens me in society.  Seriously, I’ve never been this concerned before but it’s getting scary.  I just took for granted the amount of common sense people had......

Are you criticizing people who don't wear masks? For weeks, the CDC's guidance was that people who aren't sick shouldn't wear masks, because there's no scientific evidence it helps prevent the spread of the disease. They knew there was asymptomatic spread. It was misinformation perhaps for a good reason (mask shortages), but it was misinformation nonetheless. I don't blame anyone who doesn't know what to do.

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Are you criticizing people who don't wear masks? For weeks, the CDC's guidance was that people who aren't sick shouldn't wear masks, because there's no scientific evidence it helps prevent the spread of the disease. They knew there was asymptomatic spread. It was misinformation perhaps for a good reason (mask shortages), but it was misinformation nonetheless. I don't blame anyone who doesn't know what to do.

And we watch a daily press briefing where there isn't a single mask in that room.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

IF the national supply of masks was taken over and distributed by the federal government, we could have recommended masks because the general public wouldn't have been able to horde masks. Also could have just said people should wear cloth masks immediately. Would have also helped. It will be years before we fully understand all the missteps and mistakes but that is typical of any crisis. 

1 minute ago, shrader said:

And we watch a daily press briefing where there isn't a single mask in that room.

And no social distancing. Which tells me that everyone in close contact with the president and vice president is tested on a daily basis. Or, more likely, there's no virus a'tall.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

IF the national supply of masks was taken over and distributed by the federal government, we could have recommended masks because the general public wouldn't have been able to horde masks. Also could have just said people should wear cloth masks immediately. Would have also helped. It will be years before we fully understand all the missteps and mistakes but that is typical of any crisis. 

I also heard that a strong argument against telling people to wear masks was the fear people would feel invincible and give up on social distancing.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And no social distancing. Which tells me that everyone in close contact with the president and vice president is tested on a daily basis. Or, more likely, there's no virus a'tall.

They have the cure but they're keeping it for themselves.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I wish I had seen this webinar, but this is an excellent summary of it and major takeaways.  Highly recommended reading to get the 30,000 ft view on pandemics and COVID-19.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2020/04/16/takeaways-from-my-webinar-on-covid-19/

On December 30, 2019, Dr. Li Wenliang, an ophthalmologist at Wuhan Central Hospital in the Hubei province of China, messaged his fellow physicians, alerting them to the appearance of what he thought as SARS. Thirty-nine days later, after becoming infected with the very virus he tried to warn his colleagues about, he was dead at thirty-three. By that time, the disease we now know as COVID-19 had already spread to dozens of countries.

Before the SARS outbreak in 2002, only two coronaviruses were known to cause disease in humans, but neither caused much more than the common cold. The SARS coronavirus, however, went on to kill about one in ten people it infected. A decade later, in 2012, MERS, another deadly coronavirus, emerged. Like SARS, MERS spread to infect thousands of people across dozens of countries, but that time, one in three died. Today, we’re fighting to protect ourselves from—and to defeat—the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Where are these emerging infectious diseases emerging from?

All human viral infections are believed to originate in animals.

To understand COVID-19 and other deadly viral outbreaks, we have to understand their history and evolution if we’ll ever have a chance at preventing future pandemics. We also have to look back and take lessons from the past. How did we successfully beat back SARS? Why is it more difficult with COVID-19? What do we have to do to slow the pandemic today before we even have a hope at a vaccine?

I covered all of that in my recent four-hour webinar—from origin stories of past killer pandemics to what we should be doing today to stay safe—and then dove into the clinical side of COVID-19 and discussed what the disease looks like and the best way to treat it. If you missed the webinar, the following is an overview of what I covered.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Not just the CDC, either.  We were definitely encouraged to save the masks for people who truly needed them.  Which is why none of us have any masks in the face of a requirement (in NYS) to wear them beginning tomorrow.  Yes, I know we can wear scarves instead.

58 minutes ago, shrader said:

You sure about that?