COVID-19

Indabuff

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

And another thing our PM can go to hell.

After telling us to all stay home, even our Premier 'stayed the balazes home' without his son for Easter, our PM went to Toronto to be with his family for Easter.  Seriously, dude, what the *****!!

Wow.  Couldn’t believe it after his daily pressers telling everyone to stay home and not visit family or friends.  Unbelievable.......

19 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Wow.  Couldn’t believe it after his daily pressers telling everyone to stay home and not visit family or friends.  Unbelievable.......

Just a terrible look and many are giving him some slack, cus you know he needed a break with his family.  I'm calling BS and I'm getting angry.

The whole ***** world needs a break form this damn thing, but we don't get one.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Just a terrible look and many are giving him some slack, cus you know he needed a break with his family.  I'm calling BS and I'm getting angry.

The whole ***** world needs a break form this damn thing, but we don't get one.

Yep, completely agree.  So angry reading through a couple articles on it. 

15 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Yep, completely agree.  So angry reading through a couple articles on it. 

People suck, I am up in the andirondacks and this morning there was an older gent walking into the Stewart shop with an 95 mask on, but he had the straps all jacked up, the mask was basically useless. I offered to help him fix it, I even alluded to the fact that I'm in health care and he was just a ride @ss. He said he knows what he's doing and he doesn't need people correcting or critiquing him..... I hope he gets it.... I'm serious. 

• Like (+1) 1

I made a post sometime last weeke about the MLB getting started with full support of Congress. It was just announced the MLB will be undertaking the largest Covid Antibody study with 10,000 employees from 27 teams taking part. Baseball might be losing popularity (but not revenue), but it will forever be America’s greatest entertainment treasure in my mind. 

https://theathletic.com/1746724/2020/04/14/mlb-team-employees-will-be-the-subjects-of-the-u-s-s-largest-covid-19-antibody-study/?source=user_shared_article

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Convalescenct plasma?  To the Googles I go!

Giving plasma of recovered patients which contains antibodies to the Covid Virus to hospitalized patients.There is even research to see if there is a benefit to giving it to Health Care Workers to stimulate their immune system until a vaccine is available 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

If that social distancing then the Sabres are devout in their abstenance. 

Depends on how purely you're defining abstinence.  The Sabres at least got to play spin the bottle with it on 2 occasions and nearly talked it into going all the way in the closet.  (And still waiting on the answer from that last trip there. ? )

The Loafs are that loser squid kid that thinks he's going to meet the cheerleader in the back of the barn only to find out all that's there are the farm animals.  (That's baaaaaaa-aaaa-aad. ? )

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

People suck, I am up in the andirondacks and this morning there was an older gent walking into the Stewart shop with an 95 mask on, but he had the straps all jacked up, the mask was basically useless. I offered to help him fix it, I even alluded to the fact that I'm in health care and he was just a ride @ss. He said he knows what he's doing and he doesn't need people correcting or critiquing him..... I hope he gets it.... I'm serious. 

Oh I hear that... I see masks worn improperly all the time... especially ones pulled down below the nose... why bother.  

46 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Oh I hear that... I see masks worn improperly all the time... especially ones pulled down below the nose... why bother.  

For what it’s worth, you could cough into the mask or use it as a reminder to not touch your face.

9 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Skeptical heard from my wife that sterilization compromises the masks... see 3M... they wont guarantee their masks after sterilized... Also the chems used cause cancer upon inhaling (peroxide)... We are researching.., ie my wife...

I thought they used UV light to sterilize them. They even have a robot that does hotel rooms. Pretty cool,... if it works.

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I look at it this way, gloves are to protect me, a mask is to protect others. I don’t wear gloves cuz I just wash my hands when necessary. And I only wear the mask if I’m around people who think I should.

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I thought they used UV light to sterilize them. They even have a robot that does hotel rooms. Pretty cool,... if it works.

I look at it this way, gloves are to protect me, a mask is to protect others. I don’t wear gloves cuz I just wash my hands when necessary. And I only wear the mask if I’m around people who think I should.

With the amount of money available at present to develop an effective sterilization system expect both types of systems are being developed.

Probably also testing irradiation source based sterilization systems such as X-ray & gamma ray as well.

All three methods can be very lethal to microbes but leave whatever was sterilized safe for human handling.

Will come down to cost (installation & operation) & how many times the equipment can be sterilized using a particular procedure before it doesn't meet specs.

Doubt that heat based sterilization methods such as using autoclaves would be viable but these others could be.  Though maybe a heat/ vacuum based system could be used to desorb any adsorbed viruses off the PPE.  Probably not.  Interesting problem.

Edited by Taro T

23 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If I see someone wearing a general surgeon mask wrong I chuckle.... I get very annoyed when I see the general public wear an N95 mask to begin with, when I see it improperly worn then it bothers me.... Those should be in our hospitals..... But instead we get bs lip service of being "heroes" while still getting treated like ***** by the general population 

I just read that Sweden is pretty much the only country that has not shut down schools and businesses and instead has essentially decided to get everyone infected, take their casualties and get it over with, on the theory that this way they will develop herd immunity and be able to resume normal life more quickly.  Their fatality rate is substantially higher than that of most other countries, although not as bad as Italy or Spain. 

26 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

If I see someone wearing a general surgeon mask wrong I chuckle.... I get very annoyed when I see the general public wear an N95 mask to begin with, when I see it improperly worn then it bothers me.... Those should be in our hospitals..... But instead we get bs lip service of being "heroes" while still getting treated like ***** by the general population 

How do you feel about someone wearing a bandana as a mask?

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I just read that Sweden is pretty much the only country that has not shut down schools and businesses and instead has essentially decided to get everyone infected, take their casualties and get it over with, on the theory that this way they will develop herd immunity and be able to resume normal life more quickly.  Their fatality rate is substantially higher than that of most other countries, although not as bad as Italy or Spain. 

Yeah, this was discussed upthread a week or so ago.  It ended up in a pretty big argument.

15 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

And another thing our PM can go to hell.

After telling us to all stay home, even our Premier 'stayed the balazes home' without his son for Easter, our PM went to Toronto to be with his family for Easter.  Seriously, dude, what the *****!!

Don't forget the #TrudeauEulogies from a few years ago. Boy, did he get roasted for that!

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

Justin could never be a king because the shoe polish on his face would get all over the crown.

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

FB_IMG_1586901560156.thumb.jpg.65e364ff166ac2d30bcda12fd7742060.jpg

Two posts that should be on the Comedy thread.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

How do you feel about someone wearing a bandana as a mask?

I think that's actually quite appropriate, it's easy to use, doesn't hurt supply for those in Healthcare and serves a basic purpose....plus people look a lot less stupid with a bandana on their face than an inappropriately worn medical grade mask. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

How does one wear a surgical mask wrong? I thought it was so easy a caveman could do it.

As to the last comment, I don't think that's fair. People have been making masks for HCWers by the millions. I hope they don't have to be used and that they're the last resort in a hospital, but lots of people are showing how much they care in actual deeds. And remember that anyone who's social distancing in any way is doing it ultimately because we know hospitals (and staff) can't get overwhelmed. As for N95 masks, are people supposed to surrender the one or two they might have sitting around to the hospital?