COVID-19

Indabuff

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Did I miss something? Who is chest-thumping?

The players were just fine with what they did. The world appreciates their gift. You’re right to call light to this. I’m extending my frustration at our fellow posters incessant reminder of how grateful we should be of these young men that play hockey onto the players themselves with wording like that. I’m sure a lot of these boys are fine young people. The universe will celebrate their generosity.

40 minutes ago, Neo said:

He left off the disclaimer.

That’s not being fair to me at all. On several occasions I have openly shared the fact that the opinions that I post are coming from “a dumb ***** Ironworker”. I don’t BS. 

44 minutes ago, Neo said:

Ogre is telling a story with good guys and bad guys.

Would you care to hear why I am so obsessed with that story? I’ll give you hint. The good guy loses. 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

But what about when they start suggesting we start a fund to incentivize players to play better?

There are certain organizations that actually get paid more  for their services if they do a good job. For example, some healthcare plans for large groups/organization run by quality control, meaning the better quality care they give, they get bonuses. Don't know if you're referring to a system like that?

Edited by Theana745

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

The players were just fine with what they did. The world appreciates their gift. You’re right to call light to this. I’m extending my frustration at our fellow posters incessant reminder of how grateful we should be of these young men that play hockey onto the players themselves with wording like that. I’m sure a lot of these boys are fine young people. The universe will celebrate their generosity.

Overall, I think any donation should be appreciated. We all need to stand in solidarity in these times, whether we're wealthy or less fortunate. As a society, if we keep playing the blame game we won't get anywhere. 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

BTW here is One of the Bauer Face Shields that Jack Eichel Donated 

ED229834-71AD-48D9-8965-87FB6957CA30.jpeg

Thanks for posting this. I think this might put things into perspective for people. 

Edited by Theana745

Our local news is currently doing a story about a local woman whose father died due to covid. Her father lived in New Jersey. I’m sorry, but “random New Jersey man dies of covid” is not a news story in North Carolina. If they want to avoid fear mongering accusations, this is about the worst way possible to do so. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Our local news is currently doing a story about a local woman whose father died due to covid. Her father lived in New Jersey. I’m sorry, but “random New Jersey man dies of covid” is not a news story in North Carolina. If they want to avoid fear mongering accusations, this is about the worst way possible to do so. 

There's no college basketball, and chain restaurants are closed, so what do you expect to pass as a news story in NC?

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, shrader said:

You'll have to see what media conglomerate owns that local station. We get the same junk here. Sinclair in particular loves pushing out of state stories that fit their "brand" to all their affiliates. It's basically propaganda.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

There's no college basketball, and chain restaurants are closed, so what do you expect to pass as a news story in NC?

Honestly, I take it as a sign that there aren’t enough deaths here that they can report on. 

Edited by shrader

50 minutes ago, shrader said:

their

Omigosh.  NC has taken shrader.  He's probably eating at chain restaurants and watching college basketball.  We need to go to NC and save him!  

Shrader, from the several TGI Fridays in Greensboro to the numerous Applebee's in Charlotte, and every shopping mall and strip plaza in between, we will look for you, find you, and save you!

Edited by Eleven
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Here is some video of the hospital in the Bronx where my wife is an attending ER physician:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-hospitals-bronx.html

My wife isn't in the video, but Dr. White is her boss

I know @North Buffalo works not too far from here. To all healthcare workers and essential service providers: sending all positive energy ???

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

Here is some video of the hospital in the Bronx where my wife is an attending ER physician:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-hospitals-bronx.html

My wife isn't in the video, but Dr. White is her boss

I know @North Buffalo works not too far from here. To all healthcare workers and essential service providers: sending all positive energy ???

Good man and good wife!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

CEO Twitter has donated 28% of his wealth to Covid-19 causes. One BILLION dollars. Double wow.

https://www.cnet.com/news/twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey-pledges-1-billion-to-coronavirus-relief-1-2-million-to-related-domestic-violence/

Talk about hockey players making obscene amounts of money for something that does little for society...

• Haha (+1) 1

Ok back to virus talk and medicine. 

It's amazing how much it's evolved over the course of a month, the previous thoughts of intubation are now being basically disproven, and there is evidence that intubation in its own right is causing the progressing ARDS.

Several different factions and universities are doing many studies and the thought is now that perhaps it's not the lung damage itself or the pneumonia, but the inability for oxygen to Bind to hemoglobin due to iron displacement. The Peep and tidal volume we thought were helpful are the exact opposite in this mechanism of action. 

Granted, nothing is proven and there are several theories, but the number of theories that go against previous standard of care are pretty telling; and this also would help with the ventilator shortage. Many patients are oxygenating in the 60% with a simple nasal cannula or a hi flow mask and doing OK, we call them the "happy hypoxic". Previous thought has us intubating as soon as they are in the 70's for O2 but that's not the case here. 

I know this isn't is total layperson talk, but I find the science and theories being it pretty fascinating, and that is the part of Covid that makes my brain tick. 

• Like (+1) 4

18 hours ago, darksabre said:

You'll have to see what media conglomerate owns that local station. We get the same junk here. Sinclair in particular loves pushing out of state stories that fit their "brand" to all their affiliates. It's basically propaganda.

The sad thing is that there's plenty of distrust aimed at the Fourth Estate. It has become increasingly difficult to separate facts from narratives and fake news. (Yes, I did say that, but not in reference to the President.) But even worse is seeing all of the putrid rubbish on social media that tries to pass itself of as completely factual (but is actually false and intentionally inflammatory). A simple Wikipedia and Snopes search can go a long way to quash these prevarications - as long as we take the time to look it up.

To borrow a Scriptural quote, it pays to be Bereans.

1 hour ago, Crosschecking said:

The sad thing is that there's plenty of distrust aimed at the Fourth Estate. It has become increasingly difficult to separate facts from narratives and fake news. (Yes, I did say that, but not in reference to the President.) But even worse is seeing all of the putrid rubbish on social media that tries to pass itself of as completely factual (but is actually false and intentionally inflammatory). A simple Wikipedia and Snopes search can go a long way to quash these prevarications - as long as we take the time to look it up.

To borrow a Scriptural quote, it pays to be Bereans.

I think snopes has been wrong as well. Wikipedia? No no no. 

6 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think snopes has been wrong as well. Wikipedia? No no no. 

Wikipedia is a perfectly fine source. Fifteen years ago? Sure, don’t trust it. It’s come a long way since then but unfortunately hasn’t quite been able to shed its reputation.  

• Like (+1) 1