COVID-19

Indabuff

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Kinda makes that night at the Flying Dog Cafe in Stockholm seem like a dream dinner?

Just remember, you can't fix stupid. Not all of us are lucky enough to have the perspective that this isn't the worst thing ever. For many they've spent their lives tuned out to the fragile nature of the world. They have to process all of this still. It will take time.

Good for you, Spock. I'm giving people a ton of the benefit of the doubt in their behavior during a pandemic; I am very hesitant to call anyone stupid. I myself am fearful. Wish I had more perspective.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

How about, instead of what we do now, the announcer before every hockey game says, “Please stand and remove your hats to honor the brave men and women of our health care system that fight to keep us alive every day”?

(See you in the politics thread)

I have no doubt that's exactly what will happen, and it'll be a good thing. No offense to our veterans here, but the military salutes have become a bit much. I bet most of the vets will agree with that statement, or will say that salutes are not necessary or wanted in the first place. Especially the ones that are corporate in nature.

Edited by PASabreFan

58 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm sure there are plenty of things to find, maybe some positives or not reporting every death and stirring up the masses. 

Can't speak for the media you are tuned into (the term "the media" is useless for something so widespread and varied).

Personally, I've seen all kinds of stories about neighbours helping neighbours, public shows of support for health care workers, scientists researching cures and treatments, brave workers on the frontlines, curves being flattened, people responding appropriately to the restrictions, people trapped in other countries coming home, businesses ramping up production, tinkerers trying to craft equipment in their sewing rooms and workshops, government aid packages, localized outbreaks being curbed etc., when and where these things are happening. I've also seen plenty of stories about how to protect yourself and others and what you can do to ease the strain on the health care system.

But as far as finding stories that aren't about coronavirus, the fact of the matter is traditional coverage hotspots like sports, art, entertainment, travel, most business and much government are halted, and most people are staying home and cocooning rather than allowing reporters into their worlds to discuss their interesting projects and lives. And for those rare people, issues and projects that aren't on hiatus, COVID-19 is usually a factor in whatever is new in those areas.

It's not as omnipresent as it is for you and others in your situation, but it is encompassing everyone's lives.

And thanks for what you are doing. It might not feel like it, but the people I talk to can't say enough about what people like you , North Buffalo and Brawndo are doing.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can't speak for the media you are tuned into (the term "the media" is useless for something so widespread and varied).

Personally, I've seen all kinds of stories about neighbours helping neighbours, public shows of support for health care workers, scientists researching cures and treatments, brave workers on the frontlines, curves being flattened, people responding appropriately to the restrictions, people strapped in other countries coming home, businesses ramping up production, tinkerers trying to craft equipment in their sewing rooms and workshops, government aid packages, localized outbreaks being curbed etc., when and where these things are happening.

But as far as finding stories that aren't about coronavirus, the fact of the matter is traditional coverage hotspots like sports, art, entertainment, travel, most business and much government are halted, and most people are staying home and cocooning rather than allowing reporters into their worlds to discuss their interesting projects and lives. And for those rare people, issues and projects that aren't on hiatus, COIVD-19 is usually a factor in whatever is new in those areas.

It's not as omnipresent as it is for you and others in your situation, but it is encompassing everyone's lives.

Very well said. The major broadcast and cable networks have also aired hour after hour of those White House briefings, where anyone looking for good news can find plenty of inspiration.

20 hours ago, Derrico said:

Be careful if you’re coming to T.O.  I’m also impressed with your Premier.  Ford has done a complete 180 and actually doing a reasonable job himself.  Shocking but there is hope yet.

My man, why would I ever want to go to The Great Satan, even at the best of times?  Nevermind these end times?

(insert some smart ass thingie here)

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
all those missing letters ...
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Can you put some meat on the bone here? Any details on how what you see as hype is creating problems in the hospitals? Are you talking about "worried well" people who show up in the ER thinking they have Covid-19?

Last evening was a large dose of this in particular, right down to the listing of Google symptoms in order, the news symptoms that are broadcast, loss of taste and etc. Again, there is almost no social distancing to be seen near where I live, sadly if the peak is going to come, it will be soon here and we again are not doing our collective parts. 

I just disabled any and all of my social media accounts (I don't use them often, but a break is needed). I can't help but pass by a TV in the break room and see a death count ticker in real time.... That's a bit uncalled for. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some glimmers of humanity out there, and I appreciate the accolades and support we have been given in light of recent events, I just need to find my own mental balance and I'm having a harder time with it than I would like to admit. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

I am farting around my wife and kids while announcing health check :).  Woody I feel you more than most and a lot of people around me in the healthcare field feel done.  As you said finding your balance, pacing yourself, checking in with close friends who know you and can set you straight not just blow smoke up your ass so that you can go back out there and be of service again is what important.  All my best... NB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Last evening was a large dose of this in particular, right down to the listing of Google symptoms in order, the news symptoms that are broadcast, loss of taste and etc. Again, there is almost no social distancing to be seen near where I live, sadly if the peak is going to come, it will be soon here and we again are not doing our collective parts. 

I just disabled any and all of my social media accounts (I don't use them often, but a break is needed). I can't help but pass by a TV in the break room and see a death count ticker in real time.... That's a bit uncalled for. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some glimmers of humanity out there, and I appreciate the accolades and support we have been given in light of recent events, I just need to find my own mental balance and I'm having a harder time with it than I would like to admit. 

As much as I agree with you about the media reporting I have to think that it might be necessary, if only to make some people realize just how bad this is and quit taking it with a grain of salt. Some I'm sure will not learn until it hits home unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, SDS said:

Apparently you can’t quarantine it either…

It would seem.  Person in Monroe County was arrested for not self-quarantining and refusing to be tested despite displaying symptom. They had to convert a suburban precinct into a quarantined holding area and move the inmates there to another facility all because of this person.  Insane. Putting deputies and others at risk.

Edited by LTS
removed a reply to someone else that was not necessary

So my niece's fiance, who works on an ambulance in Buffalo, tested positive for COVID-19.  Within days he got sick, and so did my niece, my brother, his wife and my nephew.  They were all exposed to the fiance before he showed symptoms.  They all have been sick for 2 weeks but seem to be pulling out of it now.  For them it seemed like a strong flu bug.  The only one that was confirmed COVID-19 though was my niece's fiance.  The others toughed it out at home and didn't seek medical care and therefore were never tested.

• Thanks (+1) 2

On 4/3/2020 at 11:18 PM, Curt said:

Well first, I never said that I didn’t care about your opinions.  Quite the opposite in fact.  I’m legitimately asking you:  What do you believe?  What do you think this is?

To be honest you've always been annoying to me and will continue to be so, i dont care about your opinions or questions anymore so theres that. No need to take it further than that, so let's carry on. ?

4 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

To be honest you've always been annoying to me and will continue to be so, i dont care about your opinions or questions anymore so theres that. No need to take it further than that, so let's carry on. ?

You’re completely insufferable.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

OK -- let's keep this friendly and respectful please.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My brother has now been moved to ICU, but is stable.

My Nephew is recovering and now my Sister-In-Law is ill.  

This is the worst.  I have feeling helpless.

Thoughts and, especially, prayers to all of you.

I've been saying and doing a lot of that lately.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

I don’t recall ever directly addressing you before, but do as you wish I suppose.

16 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Why must we fight, even as the world is coming to an end.

I'm well known to be a lover and not a fighter.

There is still time, I hope, so you guys better kiss and make up pretty darn quick, eh!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

So my niece's fiance, who works on an ambulance in Buffalo, tested positive for COVID-19.  Within days he got sick, and so did my niece, my brother, his wife and my nephew.  They were all exposed to the fiance before he showed symptoms.  They all have been sick for 2 weeks but seem to be pulling out of it now.  For them it seemed like a strong flu bug.  The only one that was confirmed COVID-19 though was my niece's fiance.  The others toughed it out at home and didn't seek medical care and therefore were never tested.

I'm glad to hear they're all on the mend. That's the scary part is the incubation is so long you can infect everyone you know before you show anything. Hope they all fight through to a full recovery in the next few days.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My brother has now been moved to ICU, but is stable.

My Nephew is recovering and now my Sister-In-Law is ill.  

This is the worst.  I have feeling helpless.

Hang in there GA! Our medical folks are amazing through all of this -- wishing your family the best, your brother especially.

40 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Post of the decade, so far.

My only gripe with TOTP was that the bands never played live and lipsynced and they did not try to make it not obvious.  Terrible.

That said ...

I LOVE FREDDIE!!

Until the day that I die.  

And Good 'ol Fashioned Lover Boys are the best lover boys.  Yup.