COVID-19

Indabuff

I read another story where Abilene Motor Express out of Richmond, VA was helping the Publix grocery store chain to make deliveries for their already overwhelmed drivers. One guy wound up driving 4,000 miles in a week - which is highly unusual under normal circumstances. But, since this is a state of emergency we're under, that can be legally validated.

20 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

https://www.upmc.com/media/news/040220-falo-gambotto-sars-cov2-vaccine

University of Pittsburgh news ... potential vaccine 

Pennsyltucky will save the day. Of course now it has to go through all the trials, and that's the part that takes a long time. An interesting thing Dr. Fauci said yesterday or the day before is that if they get some kind of strong indication a vaccine will work (sentinel sign or something), a vaccine could be approved for emergency use.

• Like (+1) 2

The ***** is hitting the fan at my house. I just banned my FIL from my house. That jackass has found someplace to go everyday this week. His wife just had cancer treatment months ago and I have 30 years of silicosis and compromised lungs. He thinks he's being cute with his ridiculous stories of how "my mother would have us all sit in the same room together so we all got it". Great. Sounds like she was a terrible mother. Let's get everyone in the family sick with it so we can see how many of them we can kill. Mother ***** jackass!! I pray he comes over here and opens his stupid mouth so I can send his pathetic attitude back to 1950. I swear to God if he gets my MIL sick I am going to kick his ass like he's never had it kicked. Stupid ass.

47 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Explain please, good buddy. Over.

46 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Breaker breaker I agree. Over.

Under normal circumstances, we are not allowed to use the Emergency option on our electronic logging devices. However, because we are under a nationwide state of emergency, this can be utilized. We don't have to worry about hours of service violations whatsoever.

Once things return to normal, this goes away, and we resume regular HOS.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Had two patients go from 2 Liters of Oxygen on Nasal Cannula to ventilators in less than six hours today 

Are there success stories involving ventilators? I'm starting to hear talk of, "Once they get on a ventilator, they don't come off." My conspiratorial mind says they're getting the country ready for the idea of not enough ventilators. "We don't have them, but it really doesn't matter."

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Are there success stories involving ventilators? I'm starting to hear talk of, "Once they get on a ventilator, they don't come off." My conspiratorial mind says they're getting the country ready for the idea of not enough ventilators. "We don't have them, but it really doesn't matter."

There have been plenty of cases of them coming off vents successfully 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

There have been plenty of cases of them coming off vents successfully 

Average vent times around 5-6 days with good resolution, no? 

I signed a DNR/DNI about 6 years ago, maybe I should suspend it until this is over, I've been pondering it for a bit 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I signed a DNR/DNI about 6 years ago, maybe I should suspend it until this is over, I've been pondering it for a bit 

Rip it up.  We can't afford to lose you.  I don't mean as a doctor, I mean as a SS poster!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ogre said:

The ***** is hitting the fan at my house. I just banned my FIL from my house. That jackass has found someplace to go everyday this week. His wife just had cancer treatment months ago and I have 30 years of silicosis and compromised lungs. He thinks he's being cute with his ridiculous stories of how "my mother would have us all sit in the same room together so we all got it". Great. Sounds like she was a terrible mother. Let's get everyone in the family sick with it so we can see how many of them we can kill. Mother ***** jackass!! I pray he comes over here and opens his stupid mouth so I can send his pathetic attitude back to 1950. I swear to God if he gets my MIL sick I am going to kick his ass like he's never had it kicked. Stupid ass.

Oh, I get it.  Not my in laws, thank heavens, but haven’t we all known the nincom-ninny who fails to recognize he jeopardizes others while describing his own, dumb ass, cavalier attitude about this or that?  You nailed the “character” and the feeling they generate inside the sane.

”Oh, Darwin ... DAR-win!”

Serious question to our doctors out there:

Is there a certain time period when I can deem myself safe to visit my parents (they are elderly) other than standing in their driveway ten feet apart?  None of us have self-quarantined.  We go to stores when we need to, I order takeout once in a while, etc.  But I have lived alone for over two weeks now.  So am I "fourteen days safe" or do I need to stay distant from them?

Edited by Eleven

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Is there a certain time period when I can deem myself safe to visit my parents (they are elderly) other than standing in their driveway ten feet apart?  None of us have self-quarantined.  We go to stores when we need to, I order takeout once in a while, etc.  But I have lived alone for over two weeks now.  So am I "fourteen days safe" or do I need to stay distant from them?

There really isn’t an absolute safe time to visit. Community Spread is the most common method of transmission.  You can be asymptomatic but still be transmitting the virus, and I have admitted three couples in their late 70s and 80s in the past week. 

It sounds like you have done the all right things for prevention. 

Are you in the same car when going shopping?

I haven’t hugged My Wife or Kids in 14 days and I’m still living at home for now, so I can sympathize with you on a smaller scale 

21 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I got this (and I'm a "physician" in several NWPA counties). Stay away. The 14 day protocol doesn't apply to your situation. And strongly advise your parents to stay home. Drop off whatever they need, wave at them from outside and go home. I know it's hard. If my parents were still around and I was in your situation, I'd be going crazy. It's not going to last forever. Hang in there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Generally and rip that ***** up.

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Oh, I get it.  Not my in laws, thank heavens, but haven’t we all known the nincom-ninny who fails to recognize he jeopardizes others while describing his own, dumb ass, cavalier attitude about this or that?  You nailed the “character” and the feeling they generate inside the sane.

”Oh, Darwin ... DAR-win!”

It’s infuriating. Neither my wife or I have been in a car to go anywhere in 19 days and I now somehow have a bad cold/fever...My wife’s Aunt goes all over shopping at friggin bakeries and bringing stuff over. FIL insisting on being the chevalier fellow running all over town like the hero saving the economy. Chill the hell out man. I used to really respect him and looked up to the guy but he’s certainly let me down. Hopefully the knowledge that I’m disappointed in his selfish antics will change his tune and guilt him into doing the right thing. Until he can show me that he gets it, he’s on permaban.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This thread is increasing my vocabulary on a daily basis, based upon an average of the last two days.  Thank you.

Don’t forget, he has roots in French Canadia. They really are smarter (re. More educated) than is.

Good news today, our lead CT tech tested negative... he is the one with the grandson on the way with his daughter at home.  He is still gonna live in the basement til this is over.  I am beat and still have 2.5 shifts to work thru saturday morning.  Can't wait to get some sleep.

Today was another shitte show in the ER though not because of pts but because of one ICU doc wanting to do a chest tube on an ER patient.  He asked the Radiologist to help him... the Radiologist said it couldn't be justified, only a little pneumo thorax and pt was covid positive.  The ER doc just said flat out no.  Both of them questioned why said ICU doc didn't do it beside... turns out he was scared and wanted help.  As I left he stormed down asking why it wasn't done or set up, not sure... he hadn't put in an order.  So he then was going over to talk to the ER doc.... no idea what happened, above my pay grade.... but the pt was on a vent and respiratory was short on vent.....and said doc wanted to do it in CT... whatever... he just put off a lung biopsy unnecessarily and sent respiratory all over the place til I called him off till said doc communicated with the other docs.  

• Like (+1) 3