COVID-19

Indabuff

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

They removed his post on this and temporarily banned him. It’s widely reported in the news. 

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e801cafc5b661492268e789

"They" removed a post and suspended him; that is correct.  So he has not been banned from twitter, which is what you wrote.  Now, onto the other two, do you have factual support for either of these?

1.  But the media is in an active campaign to prevent this $20/person treatment from being widespread. 

2. The media who makes 1/2 of their revenue from pharmaceutical ads.

Edited by Eleven

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

"They" removed a post and suspended him; that is correct.  So he has not been banned from twitter, which is what you wrote.  Now, onto the other two, do you have factual support for either of these?

1.  But the media is in an active campaign to prevent this $20/person treatment from being widespread. 

2. The media who makes 1/2 of their revenue from pharmaceutical ads.

Suspended, banned.  Tomato, tomato. 
1. Read the article posted in #1 and frame it in any other light for me

2. Half the ads shown are pharma. Is the point any different if it’s only 40%?

Just now, triumph_communes said:

Suspended, banned.  Tomato, tomato. 
1. Read the article posted in #1 and frame it in any other light for me

2. Half the ads shown are pharma. Is the point any different if it’s only 40%?

I did read the article, and it does not factually support any assertion that "the media is in an active campaign to prevent this $20/person treatment from being widespread."  

Do you have data showing that "half the ads shown are pharma?"  Or even 40%?

I don't think you can factually support any of those three statements that you presented as fact.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Sorry for not saying this earlier. I remembered since a lot of people are thankful for truckers getting food out to everyone.

So, here's my big THANK YOU to everyone who work in hospitals, the CDC, immunology, virology, etc. I don't want to be arrogant and assume to speak for everyone: know that the work you do is greatly appreciated, since you all are putting your lives on the line to help us recover from this pandemic.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I did read the article, and it does not factually support any assertion that "the media is in an active campaign to prevent this $20/person treatment from being widespread."  

I don't think you can factually support any of those three statements that you presented as fact.

I do for a fact that many Doctors are taking the Malaria drug as a prophylactic.

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The tone of the article being heavily against its usage. Mumtiple state governors banning its usage for anything but RA and threatening to revoke medical licenses on any doctors who do otherwise. Mainstream news constantly downplaying the treatment in every news briefing despite Trump brining it up

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

The tone of the article being heavily against its usage. Mumtiple state governors banning its usage for anything but RA and threatening to revoke medical licenses on any doctors who do otherwise. Mainstream news constantly downplaying the treatment in every news briefing despite Trump brining it up

The treatment was touted in "the media" piece that nfreeman posted--the one that started this very discussion!  I've read hopeful articles about what the French are doing on numerous different sites for a week now.  That is "the media."  

The fact is, you can't point to any "active campaign" by "the media" (whatever you mean by that) to prevent the treatment from being widespread, and you can't point to any data that "the media" (again) receives 1/2 of its revenue from pharmaceutical sales, either.  You're inventing a conspiracy theory where there is no support for that theory.  Do you not see that this is dangerous disinformation?

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

Google search for "NYSE" (I wanted to see how the market in general did, not just DJIA or S&P) gave me visiting hours and peak visiting times.  Umm, I don't think so.

Edited by Eleven

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I just heard that thousands of Covid-19 related websites were registered for the sole purpose of scamming people. My those people burn in hell

This wouldn't surprise me one bit.  As soon as this thing hit I called my parents and asked them to check with me before making any big changes like putting all of their portfolio into gold or something like that.  You just know people are going to prey upon the elderly.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I just heard that thousands of Covid-19 related websites were registered for the sole purpose of scamming people. My those people burn in hell

Oh no, you can't hope that hell exists for those pieces of whale *****.  Scaphism for them in the here and now.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Moved some posts to the politics club.

As for the substance/credibility of the link I posted -- this is similar to the treatment that the French have had success with recently, and that @Brawndo (I think) has reported is being used off-label in WNY hospitals.

We can use medications off label for compassionate use by FDA. 

The combination we are using is Plaquenil 400mg twice a day for two doses, then 200mg twice a day for 8 doses. Zithromax 500mg daily for 5 days and Zinc 50 mg by mouth twice a day. An EKG is necessary to check for something called prolonged QTc Syndrome to prevent heart arrhythmias. 

I spend a couple hours in Full PPE on a lockdown Covid Unit. I feel sorry for the Nursing Staff who need to be in it for 12 hours, they are the real heroes 

• Like (+1) 6

When people in the US really became serious about COVID-19 being a true threat, Seattle/Washington state was easily one of the biggest hot spots.  As we all know, a few weeks later, things have gotten a bit crazier across the whole country, but the numbers seem to have really settled down in Seattle/Wash state.  Is this just because they got hit so early and there has been enough time for positive cases to have recovered there?  Did they do something more proactive than the rest of the USA to take a bite out of how this thing has spread?  

Edit - I wonder about Texas, too.  They have 5 of the top 13 cities in the US population-wise, but their numbers of infections are lower, relatively speaking (less than 3000 cases statewide today per CDC) compared to some other states with far smaller populations.

Edited by BagBoy

10 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I looked it up. Humans are very creative in some wrong ways.

So did I. That is one "last meal" I would NEVER want!

Edited by Crosschecking
correction

11 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Oh no, you can't hope that hell exists for those pieces of whale *****.  Scaphism for them in the here and now.

Shall we add this jackass to the list for Scaphism punishment? https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/us/florida-pastor-arrested-river-church/index.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiSj-mH-cboAhVDbc0KHckzDnoQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2WDu6dTYduW6IaMadJ8xUf

3 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Interesting fodder for musing ....

First, the article says he was hosting service “despite public orders urging residents to stay home ...”.  I’m not sure what "orders urging" means.

Second, Five Guys is open.   Burgers, dogs, fries, soda and shakes.   Apparently it’s essential, but the church isn’t.

I’d not start arresting people until I was ready to start arresting people.

This is truly rubber meets the road territory; believers and non-believers, and all that.   I don’t spend a lot of time in the “my science trumps your God”,  or vice versa, spaces.  Each statement demonstrates a lack of understanding of the other.  Faith and Science may be history’s greatest Apples and Oranges.  I've never felt the need to jettison one in favor of the other.

I’m looking at this like I look at schools and vaccinations.   Freedom, belief, public policy ... we have fewer philosopher kings than N95 masks.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Crosschecking said:

This is unconstitutional and will be thrown out in court for multiple first amendment reasons. It wouldn’t surprise me if this was an orchestrated test case. 

2 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

If they think their faith will protect them from the virus, I have no problem with them testing out that theory.

For @Brawndo, @Wyldnwoody44 and anyone else interested:  the WSJ has an article up about daily emails sent by Dr. Craig Smith, head of surgery at Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital in NYC, summarizing the day's events and generally providing context and some inspiration:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-emails-columbia-craig-smith-11585711804?mod=hp_featst_pos2&mod=article_inline

The emails are available on twitter at:  https://twitter.com/ColumbiaSurgery

Here's his email from last night:

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaSurgery/status/1245086295799586818/photo/1

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Interesting fodder for musing ....

First, the article says he was hosting service “despite public orders urging residents to stay home ...”.  I’m not sure what "orders urging" means.

Second, Five Guys is open.   Burgers, dogs, fries, soda and shakes.   Apparently it’s essential, but the church isn’t.

I’d not start arresting people until I was ready to start arresting people.

This is truly rubber meets the road territory; believers and non-believers, and all that.   I don’t spend a lot of time in the “my science trumps your God”,  or vice versa, spaces.  Each statement demonstrates a lack of understanding of the other.  Faith and Science may be history’s greatest Apples and Oranges.  I've never felt the need to jettison one in favor of the other.

I’m looking at this like I look at schools and vaccinations.   Freedom, belief, public policy ... we have fewer philosopher kings than N95 masks.

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

This is unconstitutional and will be thrown out in court for multiple first amendment reasons. It wouldn’t surprise me if this was an orchestrated test case. 

30 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If they think their faith will protect them from the virus, I have no problem with them testing out that theory.

Here's the thing. I don't make my faith a secret. Having said that, there's something out there called common sense. If I was a pastor, I would have no problem with complying with SIP orders. I clearly understand that this is an unprecedented health crisis, and I would not want anyone in my church to get sick and die from this virus because I insisted that we all meet for worship regardless of what the powers that be ordered for the safety and health of the state and nation. Plus, with the availability of YouTube and live streaming available, there's no reason why he couldn't do this.

As an aside, the "pastor" in question has been on the receiving end of justified criticism in the past for his unorthodox theology. So, it doesn't surprise me that he would pull this stunt during this critical time. Goodness! Even Joel Osteen had enough sense to cancel church services for the health of his congregation - and I can't stand the guy!

• Like (+1) 1