COVID-19

Indabuff

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

It’s way to early to make any comparisons between the H1N1 and the current Covid 19. Retrospectively looking at the data in 12-18 Months will give a much better comparison. 

I was on an ICU rotation for H1N1 as a resident at Buffalo General, we were busy and needed to use the CCU and SICU for overflow, but  I do not remember seeing so many younger people on ventilators in the units. 

I was working as a hospitalist during the last very bad influenza season and our service had an additional 30-45 patients per day.  Interestingly Covid has seemed to kill some other diseases. Both Kaleida and Catholic Health are down about 35 percent in terms of their ER Visits meaning that the respective inpatient admissions are also down 35 percent. Lately we have had an uptick with the Covid  Patients, so that will take some monitoring over the next 2-3 weeks when the surge occurs. 

In terms of sending patients upstate from NYC will be interesting.  For example St Joseph’s or the CHS Pandemic Center is only taking Covid Positive Patients from Catholic Health Hospitals not even Kaleida Patients. Erie County should have a good idea what their own needs will be before accepting downstate patients. The other option might be to send Non Covid Patients out of NYC as it would be easier to transport them.

In terms if everything the government is doing is a over reaction only time will tell. 

Here’s My Obligatory Work Pic

8C2D9B0E-BBA4-4BD6-81A2-3DF9E5C13189.jpeg

Good info Doc. ?

But, if you're going for the Michael Jackson vibe, isn't the glove supposed to be sequined? ?

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

The only thing that is wrong on your list is the spirits one... Tavarsky 190 proof vodka is 95 percent etoh... Also Barcardi 151 rum is over 60 percent etoh... Really any alcohol over say 65% or 130 proof is probably effective, obviously the higher the proof the more etoh.  Look at the proof and halve it to be sure and probably want 70% or higher.  

Regular soap is just as effective against this virus as any alcohol-based soap. The fat in the soap is what destroys the virus. By all means, look it up because it’s pretty much printed everywhere. There is no need to use hand sanitizer. Regular soap works just fine.

please look this up and verify for yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SDS said:

Regular soap is just as effective against this virus as any alcohol-based soap. The fat in the soap is what destroys the virus. By all means, look it up because it’s pretty much printed everywhere. There is no need to use hand sanitizer. Regular soap works just fine.

True.  The soap is a surfactant (large molecules with polar and non-polar ends) which allows non-polar lipids (the fatty shell of the virus) to dissolve in water.  But, it's tough to keep bar soap available in the car.  There is a place and time for hand sanitizer.  Namely before leaving one's car to protect others & upon entering to protect oneself.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SDS said:

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

True.  The soap is a surfactant (large molecules with polar and non-polar ends) which allows non-polar lipids (the fatty shell of the virus) to dissolve in water.  But, it's tough to keep bar soap available in the car.  There is a place and time for hand sanitizer.  Namely before leaving one's car to protect others & upon entering to protect oneself.

Yeah, hand sanitizer is for when you can't easily get to soap and water, or for "quick hits" at a mall, courthouse, airport, etc., even in normal times.  I can't think of a situation where I'd have ready access to Listerine (which I do not think is high enough in alcohol content anyway) or high-proof spirits but not soap and water.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, hand sanitizer is for when you can't easily get to soap and water, or for "quick hits" at a mall, courthouse, airport, etc., even in normal times.  I can't think of a situation where I'd have ready access to Listerine (which I do not think is high enough in alcohol content anyway) or high-proof spirits but not soap and water.

When you're drinking and driving? LOL

Something to think about....

1) how often do you grab the hand sanitizer bottle (w/dirty hands and bacteria) and sanitize your hands.

2) how often do you clean the bottle of sanitizer you've hamdled with bacteria laden hamds?

Just a thought? 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not digging the fact that multiple sources have mentioned eight strains of the virus.  That means that it is mutating, no?  Sounds as though the new strains won't be any more lethal than the first strain, however they determine that.

48 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I'm not digging the fact that multiple sources have mentioned eight strains of the virus.  That means that it is mutating, no?  Sounds as though the new strains won't be any more lethal than the first strain, however they determine that.

No.  Corona viruses have been around for a long time.  This is just a new type that appeared in 2019.  A novel corona virus.

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

When you're drinking and driving? LOL

Something to think about....

1) how often do you grab the hand sanitizer bottle (w/dirty hands and bacteria) and sanitize your hands.

2) how often do you clean the bottle of sanitizer you've hamdled with bacteria laden hamds?

Just a thought? 

Usually the hand sanitizer in the environments I mentioned are in hands-free dispensers.  The small bottle that I keep in a backpack or briefcase or whatever is for emergencies and/or any time spent in NYC.

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Oh very true and easier on the skin... I just referring to the list.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Mother (my first wife, Virginia) always kept a bar of Lifebuoy in the glove compartment. If you want more details, send me a telegram.

2 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

As I read it again I'm positive that this is not sourced from a real infectious disease doc. Making the fundamental mistake of DNA instead of RNA is akin to saying you've been a Sabres fan since 1970 and not knowing who Gilbert Perreault is.

Or saying you've been a fan since 1975 and not knowing the Sabres were for sale in 2002. (Gratuitious, yes, but Daddy needed some "medicine.")

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Curt said:

No.  Corona viruses have been around for a long time.  This is just a new type that appeared in 2019.  A novel corona virus.

I understand that but I believe the articles are referring to eight different strains of Covid-19.

2 hours ago, spndnchz said:

FYI: Hopkins stuff comes from Hopkins itself. No need to be quoted, just share the link.

There's more than one person at Johns Hopkins.  And then there's all of their past graduates who are now working somewhere else.

So to paint an insane situation just went to do an xray in our trauma critical care bay... had to cut thru entire main ER which now has 3 stretchers in each bay, two EMTs will full hazmat masks and gear bringing in 2 more pts, residents, drs and nurses running around and then there is an older gentleman possibly homeless sitting in a chair in front of ER desk oblivious to it all calmly eating McDonalds... You cant make this up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

A friend's SIL now has it and is at Buffalo General.  Strict no visitor policy, not even her husband (my friend's brother).  That would make me crazy if I were her spouse.

Edited by Eleven
  • Sad 1