COVID-19

Indabuff

55 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this response.  If my mother-in-law who has a  significant amount of underlying health issues is infected you think it would be okay if she was unable to get necessary medical attention here because people from 300 miles away were brought here to be treated for the infection?  You would be okay with your own family member or friend not being able to receive medical treatment because of this scenario?

Bigger picture, you actually think ADDING infected people to an area that is just beginning to see an increase in infections is a good idea?  Please explain to me the logic in that.  

Just for a counter point:  If the options are that more people definitely die in NYC because of lack of services or more people maybe die in WNY due to increased infections/lack of services, then transferring patients could be the lesser of two evils.  It’s not automatically an idiotic idea.  It definitely depends on the specific situations at each hospital though.

Just now, Curt said:

Just for a counter point:  If the options are that more people definitely die in NYC because of lack of services or more people maybe die in WNY due to increased infections/lack of services, then transferring patients could be the lesser of two evils.  It’s not automatically an idiotic idea.  It definitely depends on the specific situations at each hospital though.

Wouldn't blink an eye if they were shipping non-COVID 19 patients to WNY.  Would help w/ overcrowding (though doesn't help w/ lack of ventilators which they don't seem to be out of yet & more are on the way; so this may be solving a problem that doesn't yet exist) without spreading the infection to new areas that haven't had as severe an outbreak (yet).   Would be a good thing overall.  But that's not what we've been told is happening.

What we've been told is they're moving patients with the infection to an area where the infection rate is lower but still climbing.  We're also told their relatives are being moved in as well.  Don't have faith that they will be infection free or quarantined properly to keep from spreading the infection further in WNY.  Hopefully they don't, but am not confident they won't.

Again, off-loading non-COVID 19 patients makes sense on certain levels.  This, on 1st blush, has cluster written all over it.  Hopefully, there's more to the story.  But this just seems like a recipe to make things worse.

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this response.  If my mother-in-law who has a  significant amount of underlying health issues is infected you think it would be okay if she was unable to get necessary medical attention here because people from 300 miles away were brought here to be treated for the infection?  You would be okay with your own family member or friend not being able to receive medical treatment because of this scenario?

Bigger picture, you actually think ADDING infected people to an area that is just beginning to see an increase in infections is a good idea?  Please explain to me the logic in that.  

Liger’s Response was about the US having the most reported cases of Covid, not about transferring patients upstate from NYC. 

And he was being sarcastic about that. 

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Liger’s Response was about the US having the most reported cases of Covid, not about transferring patients upstate from NYC. 

And he was being sarcastic about that. 

I'm not seeing that at all.  His response was to my opinion that transferring sick patients to this area is absurd.  

I'm not interested in a pissing match on this thread.  It's supposed to be about beneficial information/support regarding the current situation.  They're using reefers for the deceased.  More important things to worry about.

5 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Just got word from my sisters that the materials for the study I had volunteered for were diverted to NYC.  They obviously have more COVID-19 resistant people there and can get samples turned around locally faster.

The concerning piece of information was the infection rate per capital was much larger than all but the worst estimates.  They are more in line with Europe before any lockdowns, which implies that either:

1. The Communist Chinese have a greater resistance or tolerance to the virus for either environmental or genetic reasons;

2. The Communist Chinese have grossly understated their numbers across-the-board.

It could also be:

3. The Communist Chinese have done an excellent job at pandemic quarantining.

But I'm going with reason #2.

5 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Just got word from my sisters that the materials for the study I had volunteered for were diverted to NYC.  They obviously have more COVID-19 resistant people there and can get samples turned around locally faster.

The concerning piece of information was the infection rate per capital was much larger than all but the worst estimates.  They are more in line with Europe before any lockdowns, which implies that either:

1. The Communist Chinese have a greater resistance or tolerance to the virus for either environmental or genetic reasons;

2. The Communist Chinese have grossly understated their numbers across-the-board.

I thought I saw that Chinese television and cell data suggests that millions of users are missing from their typical numbers.

i also remember videos coming out on tweeter showing people dropping dead in the streets of Chinese provinces that had no recorded cases of coronavirus at the time, according to the Chinese government 

so yeah, they're full of *****

11 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I'm not seeing that at all.  His response was to my opinion that transferring sick patients to this area is absurd.  

Yeah, My Bad. I glanced over it too quickly and thought it was in response to the US taking over the world lead in reported cases. 

14 hours ago, Indabuff said:

As a generalization and model for understanding my surroundings, only ...

I think pursuing the logic won’t be fruitful.  I’ve tried that, and it was never fruitful for me.  Frustrated, I pursued the source, instead.

There is a Schadenfreude of Les Misérables that is loose in the environment.   This ethos is a pathogen as dangerous as any virus to the broader body.  It’s been around since the dawn of human history, yet we are not immune and remain at risk.  The infection rate ebbs and flows.  There have been more cases than usual for the past sixty years and a spike in the last ten.

My advice is to fight it.  It flees when confronted, crumbles when caught, and dies in the sunlight.  I don’t think your mother in law or patient management was the subject of the post you’re questioning.

Edited by Neo

36 minutes ago, Neo said:

As a generalization and model for understanding my surroundings, only ...

I think pursuing the logic won’t be fruitful.  I’ve tried that, and it was never fruitful for me.  Frustrated, I pursued the source, instead.

There is a Schadenfreude of Les Misérables that is loose in the environment.   This ethos is a pathogen as dangerous as any virus to the broader body.  It’s been around since the dawn of human history, yet we are not immune and remain at risk.  The infection rate ebbs and flows.  There have been more cases than usual for the past sixty years and a spike in the last ten.

My advice is to fight it.  It flees when confronted, crumbles when caught, and dies in the sunlight.  I don’t think your mother in law or patient management was the subject of the post you’re questioning.

Most of the people here, myself included, are dum-dums. We opened up our new Raisin Bran box this morning from the bottom and got all excited about seeing so many raisins.

What are you getting at? Are you railing at the notion of NIMBY? The selfishness of humanity? The fear of "other"? Us vs. Them? Tribalism? The murky MLB balk rule, which I frankly could never understand? Schadenfreude is taking pleasure in the pain of others.

Help us. Type r e a l s l o w.

As for the specific issue being discussed, I don't think it goes much deeper than, "Is it a good public health policy?" Clearly Liger believes it does, and apparently so do you.

Hello from sunny, but cold, NS.

Stay safe everybody and all your bodies too.

This too shall pass.

Either that, or we're all gonna die.

I will check in from time to time.

EDIT TO ADD:

Being in a European city in the early 1990's that was surrounded and under siege for 4 years, while the world did nothing, was worse than this.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
something, something ...
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm just gonna buy a boat, paddle out to the Indian Ocean, rent an over water cabana and enjoy the Maldives or some other island in the sun, until the world stops losing its damn marbles. 

That way the melanoma and liver disease can claim me instead of me losing my damn mind in 1st world media blubber. 

The amount of sheer incorrect information (many from medical professionals) is staggering and I think that's more stressful than the actual virus. People just need their damn 15 minutes of fame in social media and nothing will stop them from trying to take glory for misinformation. 

My cousin currently has positive Corona in Albany, but every 10 minutes he's on social media with some political post nonsense, doesn't seem like he's that sick to me. I know when I have the flu, the last thing I care about is the internet. 

I wish airplanes would start spraying aeresolized Ativan into the general population to calm everyone the hell down. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Indabuff said:

It does seem absurd. So absurd that one might naturally assume it's fake news, an Internet rumor in a time of confusion and fear. For the record, officials at the health system in question have confirmed the possibility that Governor Cuomo will send them patients. But they call it unlikely. Still, they're preparing. What's quite unclear is whether patients might have to be sent to PA. And what's troubling is that this mandate from the governor is what got the two hospitals to work on expanding capacity, not any notion that the virus could hit here.

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm just gonna buy a boat, paddle out to the Indian Ocean, rent an over water cabana and enjoy the Maldives or some other island in the sun, until the world stops losing its damn marbles. 

That way the melanoma and liver disease can claim me instead of me losing my damn mind in 1st world media blubber. 

The amount of sheer incorrect information (many from medical professionals) is staggering and I think that's more stressful than the actual virus. People just need their damn 15 minutes of fame in social media and nothing will stop them from trying to take glory for misinformation. 

My cousin currently has positive Corona in Albany, but every 10 minutes he's on social media with some political post nonsense, doesn't seem like he's that sick to me. I know when I have the flu, the last thing I care about is the internet. 

I wish airplanes would start spraying aeresolized Ativan into the general population to calm everyone the hell down. 

I'm not really on social media unless you count SS. I'm sure Facebook, Twitter and the like are shitshows right now. But focusing on traditional media, what misinformation do you think is being spread by the media members and medical professionals?

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

In your opinion, is the shutdown of the country warranted?

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm not really on social media unless you count SS. I'm sure Facebook, Twitter and the like are shitshows right now. But focusing on traditional media, what misinformation do you think is being spread by the media members and medical professionals?

Most of the misinformation is social media. But I'm leary of the death numbers.... Let's say patient A has pancreatic cancer, end stage.... Patient gets Covid and dies from pancreatic CA, they still count in the death toll towards Covid. 

Last week a patient in my hospital (a separate one I work per diem) died, she had Covid, she also had end stage emphysema, so the it's attributed to Covid, not the fact that she smoked 3 packs per day since age 15.

Im just frustrated and ranting a bit, but there are certainly some issues at hand in terms of delivery on this matter. 

30 minutes ago, SwampD said:

In your opinion, is the shutdown of the country warranted?

H1N1 killed 40 million people, and we didn't do anything. 

This has killed 20k and we're losing our minds. 

So, I think it's an overreaction, personally 

11 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Most of the misinformation is social media. But I'm leary of the death numbers.... Let's say patient A has pancreatic cancer, end stage.... Patient gets Covid and dies from pancreatic CA, they still count in the death toll towards Covid. 

Last week a patient in my hospital (a separate one I work per diem) died, she had Covid, she also had end stage emphysema, so the it's attributed to Covid, not the fact that she smoked 3 packs per day since age 15.

Im just frustrated and ranting a bit, but there are certainly some issues at hand in terms of delivery on this matter. 

H1N1 killed 40 million people, and we didn't do anything. 

This has killed 20k and we're losing our minds. 

So, I think it's an overreaction, personally 

I remember taking my daughter to the ER a few years back for something unrelated. The ER was PACKED! Gurneys (Is that word still used?) were lining every space in the halls with patients on them. Unless I had gone to that ER, I would not have known that it was a really bad flu season and around 60000 people, in the US alone, died that year.

49 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Most of the people here, myself included, are dum-dums. We opened up our new Raisin Bran box this morning from the bottom and got all excited about seeing so many raisins.

What are you getting at? Are you railing at the notion of NIMBY? The selfishness of humanity? The fear of "other"? Us vs. Them? Tribalism? The murky MLB balk rule, which I frankly could never understand? Schadenfreude is taking pleasure in the pain of others.

Help us. Type r e a l s l o w.

As for the specific issue being discussed, I don't think it goes much deeper than, "Is it a good public health policy?" Clearly Liger believes it does, and apparently so do you.

1). I’ve not met a dum-dum here.  Well, one, but ....   

2). There are some dumb ideas.  I have them in inventory, like everyone else.

3). Ideas are best first digested one by one and alone.  One hundred people get 100 different results, over time.  Put down the calculator and do the long division and you’ll get a more personally valuable result than I can ever give you.

4). One man’s thought provoking is another man’s obtuse, another’s dense.  My reviews include all three words.  Self aware, acknowledging ..

1 minute ago, Neo said:

1). I’ve not met a dum-dum here.  Well, one, but ....   

2). There are some dumb ideas.  I have them in inventory, like everyone else.

3). Ideas are best first digested one by one and alone.  One hundred people get 100 different results, over time.  Put down the calculator and do the long division and you’ll get a more personally valuable result than I can ever give you.

4). One man’s thought provoking is another man’s obtuse, another’s dense.  My reviews include all three words.  Self aware, acknowledging ..

tenor.gif?itemid=9243921

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I remember taking my daughter to the ER a few years back for something unrelated. The ER was PACKED! Gurneys (Is that word still used?) were lining every space in the halls with patients on them. Unless I had gone to that ER, I would not have known that it was a really bad flu season and around 60000 people, in the US alone, died that year.

I Was at Millard suburban that year I believe, we were using thr GI endoscopy suite as overflow from the ER due to the bad flu, the same precautions held, if you're young and healthy, stay home drink soup. Older people and those who are immuncompromised need us more. 

This is very similar and the ER's are getting overrun across the globe, I just have seen so much worse in other countries before, including ebola, and some time in Iraq, so it's hard for me to have the same level of panic and fear personally that many others have in society. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I Was at Millard suburban that year I believe, we were using thr GI endoscopy suite as overflow from the ER due to the bad flu, the same precautions held, if you're young and healthy, stay home drink soup. Older people and those who are immuncompromised need us more. 

This is very similar and the ER's are getting overrun across the globe, I just have seen so much worse in other countries before, including ebola, and some time in Iraq, so it's hard for me to have the same level of panic and fear personally that many others have in society. 

Do you think it’s because we’ve never had this level of social media usage before?

• Like (+1) 1