COVID-19

Indabuff

27 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So apparently under order from the governer, we have converted the surgery center and other beds in the ER and hospital to be a Corona virus zone, they are going to start shipping patients from NYC to this county (a county with zero CONFIRMED cases, with many suspected). I get the city is struggling, but this seems counterintuitive to the overall mission of flattening the curve and stopping the spread, we all know damn well what is going to happen and we don't even have close to enough PPE to handle this properly. 

The completely illogical way of thinking has me sad for this country's future, this damn pandemic has really shown me how good we are at facing adversity, and we suck at it. 

In 1 weeks time, we will all be knee deep in this Corona at work, I am hoping that it isn't as bad as the media is portraying it to be. I'm just very frustrated overall, reasonably so. I wish I could offer up a better solution, but I think Natural selection needs to take its course, let herd immunity rule and build up natural defenses and cross out fingers and hope we outlast this thing. 

A little cruel sounding sure, but it's what we have done for countless centuries prior to this. Asking the limited Healthcare providers to best this in our current situation is difficult to impossible. 

If anything they should be sending you guys the non-Covid patients. Weird strategy to be sure.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So apparently under order from the governer, we have converted the surgery center and other beds in the ER and hospital to be a Corona virus zone, they are going to start shipping patients from NYC to this county (a county with zero CONFIRMED cases, with many suspected). I get the city is struggling, but this seems counterintuitive to the overall mission of flattening the curve and stopping the spread, we all know damn well what is going to happen and we don't even have close to enough PPE to handle this properly. 

The completely illogical way of thinking has me sad for this country's future, this damn pandemic has really shown me how good we are at facing adversity, and we suck at it. 

In 1 weeks time, we will all be knee deep in this Corona at work, I am hoping that it isn't as bad as the media is portraying it to be. I'm just very frustrated overall, reasonably so. I wish I could offer up a better solution, but I think Natural selection needs to take its course, let herd immunity rule and build up natural defenses and cross out fingers and hope we outlast this thing. 

A little cruel sounding sure, but it's what we have done for countless centuries prior to this. Asking the limited Healthcare providers to best this in our current situation is difficult to impossible. 

That's incredible. I'm hoping there isn't some loophole where patients can then be moved to a hospital in the same health system in another state. That would be my hometown hospital. I wouldn't be surprised, given that officials at this health system, based in Town A, have said there's plenty of capacity for Town A because Town B also has available beds.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

That's incredible. I'm hoping there isn't some loophole where patients can then be moved to a hospital in the same health system in another state. That would be my hometown hospital. I wouldn't be surprised, given that officials at this health system, based in Town A, have said there's plenty of capacity for Town A because Town B also has available beds.

Unfortunatley, I fear that this may be the case, they have already prepped beds at facility B and the US has lifted many medical guidelines temporarily for this pandemic, a lot of what was previously not allowed is graced until this is over. Crazy times. 

5 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Unfortunatley, I fear that this may be the case, they have already prepped beds at facility B and the US has lifted many medical guidelines temporarily for this pandemic, a lot of what was previously not allowed is graced until this is over. Crazy times. 

And here I thought Facilities A and B were getting ready to take care of their own.

What about the NYC families who will flow into Town A (and maybe Town B) to be near their loved ones? Some of them will be carrying the virus.

Cuomo is on TV now talking about dorms and hotels too.

Feeling a little better about the situation after seeing the math as presented by Cuomo at his briefing. 6,481 people hospitalized in NYC as of yesterday (Covid 19 only). The rate of hospitalization increase has been slowing. It's now doubling every four days. There are 53,000 beds available there, before you get into the comfort ship and Javits Center and three other temporary hospitals (5,000 more beds). Temporary hospitals Phase II: 4,000 more. Peak could come in about 21 days. Should be an SAT math question. Q: How many days until PA is AirB&Bing folks from Jamaica Queens?

(Unless the rate keeps doubling every four days, it's hard to see how anyone will have to be shipped from NYC to western NY.)

Edited by PASabreFan

9 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Idk man, this is just getting out of hand, complete lack of preparedness 

It’s been that way for decades... a real shame.

One can disagree all they want, but I’m still optimistic, that the rate (keyword) of infection will start (another keyword) to dip in 2-3 weeks. The dip will be a low loooong dip that may last several months. But a dip nonetheless. I’m not saying a definitive statement. I’m saying a hopeful optimistic opinion. We’ll see...

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

That stinks, but is par for the course.

When NY college students from around the state studying abroad were ordered to return to the US (well prior to any statewide lockdowns) they were quarantined at SUNY Brockport. 

36 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And here I thought Facilities A and B were getting ready to take care of their own.

That would be ludicrous if someone from this area would be SOL at a local hospital because the beds were occupied by people from another area.  

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Wyld cant say I feel your pain... im in middle of covishiite storm in lower Westchester right now... just checked 80 pts in ER right now, we could use your help.

I bet it's terrible right now, stay strong and away from those droplets my friend 

• Thanks (+1) 1

The inpatient censuses are starting to increase in WNY, BGH has expanded to three Covid Units in Ten Days, South Buffalo Mercy has gone from one to two units in the past few days. Testing turn around time is still 1-3 days here and the positive cases are being moved to St Joe’s. It’s looking like it’s going to get much worse before it gets better.

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The problem with natural selection is that it never claims the right people.  The internet is proof of that.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's the American spirit. USA USA USA! 

To be clear, what we're talking about is transferring Covid 19 patients (likely to include some of their friends and family members) from a pandemic hot spot to a pandemic cold spot (but one which might be on the verge of having cases and has limited bed space to start with). I don't think it's unpatriotic to oppose such a move.

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The inpatient censuses are starting to increase in WNY, BGH has expanded to three Covid Units in Ten Days, South Buffalo Mercy has gone from one to two units in the past few days. Testing turn around time is still 1-3 days here and the positive cases are being moved to St Joe’s. It’s looking like it’s going to get much worse before it gets better.

way worse if it goes anything like down here... so sorry

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Febreze is your friend, my friend.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

That's not antiseptic.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Those hotel and dorm rooms would need much more powerful and concentrated stuff.

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

That stinks, but is par for the course.

When NY college students from around the state studying abroad were ordered to return to the US (well prior to any statewide lockdowns) they were quarantined at SUNY Brockport. 

So now they all have chlamydia?

• Haha (+1) 2

Just got word from my sisters that the materials for the study I had volunteered for were diverted to NYC.  They obviously have more COVID-19 resistant people there and can get samples turned around locally faster.

The concerning piece of information was the infection rate per capital was much larger than all but the worst estimates.  They are more in line with Europe before any lockdowns, which implies that either:

1. The Communist Chinese have a greater resistance or tolerance to the virus for either environmental or genetic reasons;

2. The Communist Chinese have grossly understated their numbers across-the-board.

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's the American spirit. USA USA USA! 

I'm trying to wrap my head around this response.  If my mother-in-law who has a  significant amount of underlying health issues is infected you think it would be okay if she was unable to get necessary medical attention here because people from 300 miles away were brought here to be treated for the infection?  You would be okay with your own family member or friend not being able to receive medical treatment because of this scenario?

Bigger picture, you actually think ADDING infected people to an area that is just beginning to see an increase in infections is a good idea?  Please explain to me the logic in that.  

Edited by Indabuff
  • Thanks (+1) 1