COVID-19

Indabuff

18 minutes ago, Neo said:

This is very nice and it makes me feel warm.  Writing for me is sweat and craft, not magic and talent.  When I write, I work.

PS ..  I know some philosophers and writers who are rolling over in their graves after your post!

Just to take you back down one peg, I wish you'd post less.?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

I won't make it that long. I need sports and wings 

Worst-case coronavirus scenarios have the NHL not returning until October 2021. We may soon long for the days of uninspiring 3-1 home losses to the Red Wings immediately followed with multiple "Fire Jason" threads.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

And all this is considered a "mild" case?.....If you don't mind me asking, did you have any underlying respiratory conditions prior to having it?

Yup, that's mild.  I was still mostly functional, albeit suboptimally.  I did not have any underlying respiratory problems before then -- at least none that could not have been cured by losing 20 pounds.

The differences now are easy to spot and understand.  I can't exert at as high a level, say, when I clean the kitty litters (we have 18 for 6 cats).  I can't exert for as long when I need to be more physical.  My symptoms of "male over 50" disease are more pronounced.  I need more recovery time from exertion.  My respiration is up.  My blood pressure varies wildly.

One thing that is a positive, though, is that everything has been very slowly improving.  My stamina is heading in the right direction.  My lung capacity and breathing have improved slightly, but definitely, the last couple weeks.

• Like (+1) 4

On 3/22/2020 at 8:33 PM, Zamboni said:

I agree. I think this is a halfway decent thread to get updates about the virus, the world impact, the local impact etc ...

This thread does not need to be political commentary for posters to whine and complain how much they don’t like the current commander in chief. Or the failures he alone (in their opinion) has made.

Take that garbage to the political thread. And I would say the same exact thing if this happened 5 years ago, 10 years ago, or 15 years ago. Respect others in this thread who keep their mouths shut and don’t spout political stuff. They don’t want to read that crap from you! Even if they do or don’t like the current administration. It’s disrespectful to the posters that don’t want any political opinion in this thread. 
Bloody hell.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:39 PM, Zamboni said:

These two posts back to back... lmfao.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:30 AM, nfreeman said:

Political posts and related temper tantrums have been moved to the politics club.

@rickshaw and @Ducky -- I'm not sure you've been in this thread previously, but please note that this thread is for discussion of the virus -- not for political opinions.  That stuff goes in the politics club.

Thanks.

lol, you threw the biggest temper tantrum of all 3 years ago. This is where we part ways Nfreeman. I will leave politics out of it but will have no further interactions with you on this board. 

Edited by LGR4GM

On 3/24/2020 at 12:23 AM, SwampD said:

9-11 was crazier. Gulf war was out there as well. This ain’t normal, that’s for sure. We’ll get through it. There will be others.

No it wasn't. We didn't have the entire country shut down for weeks after 9/11. 

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I live in the tristate area. I could see the smoke with my bare eyes and knew people covered in the dust. There were fighter jets patrolling skies that are normally filled with air traffic. Also, soldiers with machine guns standing on every corner.

Covid is just,... kinda boring. Sorta like the day after Christmas, only with no cookies and way more joggers.

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What made it crazy was the air of uncertainty. No one is waking up to 1.5 million Los Angeles residents coming down with a virus. Back then we didn’t know what tragedy could happen next.

This is just different. I doubt comparing the two is worthwhile.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I live in the tristate area. I could see the smoke with my bare eyes and knew people covered in the dust. There were fighter jets patrolling skies that are normally filled with air traffic. Also, soldiers with machine guns standing on every corner.

Covid is just,... kinda boring. Sorta like the day after Christmas, only with no cookies and way more joggers.

Maybe to you it’s not as interesting as 9-11, but it sure is not boring for health care workers.

P.S.:  The virus is almost definitely not even near having its worst effects yet.  So may get less boring, oh goodie.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

A pulp mill in my neck of the woods has just ramped up production to meet the materials demand.

https://www.vancouverislandfreedaily.com/business/nanaimos-harmac-mill-works-to-fill-doubled-pulp-order-for-medical-masks-and-gowns/

It's remarkable how the same 'small world' connectivity that spread the virus can also be a weapon in fighting it.

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Maybe to you it’s not as interesting as 9-11, but it sure is not boring for health care workers.

P.S.:  The virus is almost definitely not even near having its worst effects yet.  So may get less boring, oh goodie.

Phrases like this at times like this drive me nuts. It’s either definite or it’s not. I think “most likely” would have been a better choice, cuz we just don’t know.

Just now, SwampD said:

Phrases like this at times like this drive me nuts. It’s either definite or it’s not. I think “most likely” would have been a better choice, cuz we just don’t know.

I’m neither a epidemiologist nor a fortune teller, so it’s the best I can do.  Sorry you didn’t like my phrasing, but I think you understood me just fine.

All projects predict that we are approximately 2 weeks from the peak in NYC area.  From my point of view, this thing is just starting, so it’s too soon to pass judgment on how bad it is.

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Cacophony of Coughing': Inside NYC's Virus-Besieged ERs

a sobering article ...

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-03-24/cacophony-of-coughing-inside-nycs-virus-besieged-ers

Yeh last night was pretty scary doing xrays and searching for enough gowns and covers for xray plate ?

PS loving Michael Rapaport https://youtu.be/u2wl23AjaxE 

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Cacophony of Coughing': Inside NYC's Virus-Besieged ERs

a sobering article ...

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-03-24/cacophony-of-coughing-inside-nycs-virus-besieged-ers

Ugh.

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh last night was pretty scary doing xrays and searching for enough gowns and covers for xray plate ?

PS loving Michael Rapaport https://youtu.be/u2wl23AjaxE 

That’s awesome.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Okay, let me help. COVID 19 in the United States has not reached its peak yet. The number of infections will continue to rise exponentially as tests and the disease spread. NYC is the beginning of what will happen in large metropolitan areas throughout the country. We are anywhere from 21-42 days away from peak. 

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, let me help. COVID 19 in the United States has not reached its peak yet. The number of infections will continue to rise exponentially as tests and the disease spread. NYC is the beginning of what will happen in large metropolitan areas throughout the country. We are anywhere from 21-42 days away from peak. 

This might be correct,... or not.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Not that it’s enough yet,  .... but I view it as positive that 4,000 ventilators have officially arrived in NY. And another 7,000 were purchased. This was just said by the Governor of NY. 
Still a ways to go according to him.

It's hard to think that's a positive when they needed 30k but got 4k 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Not that it’s enough yet,  .... but I view it as positive that 4,000 ventilators have officially arrived in NY. And another 7,000 were purchased. This was just said by the Governor of NY. 
Still a ways to go according to him.

Yea... "ways to go"... only need... checks math... 30k more within the next 2 weeks. Would be nice if those could be sent from somewhere.