COVID-19

Indabuff

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I can't even imagine what special needs parents are going through right now, with all of there services stopped and no end in sight.

Unfortunately this is one of those times when the 95% of the population needs to be taken care of to the detriment of the 5% of the population.  I've read quite a few posts from parents of these kids being really upset with it all. I get their point and know its not easy for them to have to see their kid suffer, but at the same time with everything that is going on, they are out of line.  I'm sorry they have special needs but in these situations the resources have to be put towards the greater good and unfortunately that doesn't include them at this point.  It sucks but it is what it is. I am pretty sure that if they didn't have special needs kids they would probably see it the same way.

Edited by matter2003

12 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I think it’s the money grab option. Avoiding the virus is near impossible and any implementation like this will be too slow to react. 

Given how close contact is high in many of those cultures and sanitation, etc is a step below- those entire countries not being overrun by now is proof that heat slows the transmission rate down drastically. 

Or maybe it shows the lack of spread to those places because relatively few people are traveling to and from there?

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Unfortunately this is one of those times when the 95% of the population needs to be taken care of to the detriment of the 5% of the population.  I've read quite a few posts from parents of these kids being really upset with it all. I get their point and know its not easy for them to have to see their kid suffer, but at the same time with everything that is going on, they are out of line.  I'm sorry they have special needs but in these situations the resources have to be put towards the greater good and unfortunately that doesn't include them at this point.  It sucks but that is what it is.

I get it. I just know that if my daughter was still at home, I would not be able to keep working, and even with the two of us, after a month, I might just choose to burn the house down with us in it and be done. I'm not joking. I can't be certain that that wouldn't have been the outcome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I get it. I just know that if my daughter was still at home, I would not be able to keep working, and even with the two of us, after a month, I might just choose to burn the house down with us in it and be done. I'm not joking. I can't be certain that that wouldn't have been the outcome.

Seems like a pretty permanent solution to a very temporary problem...

52 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The other aspect of this is my clinic in Africa, all of the kids have been sent home (back to our orphanage) all at once and it has been quite a big handful to deal with. 

We also have a close friend trapped there dealing with the US embassy in Uganda, as they closed transit out the other day and all the flights were full that day. 

I have been working closely with the ministry of health in that region to give proper advice on treating this as well as the importance of isolation as much as possible. In their culture, living basically on top of each other is the norm, so it will be a difficult change, they also don't have the US government and its resources helping out like we have. 

If I could have it my way, I'd be down in Uganda now doing work, but Alas, for now I am here. 

You are good man, but I don't think if this breaks out in Africa anything can be done about it.    The west is in no position to help those countries out.   The only one that will is China.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I can't even imagine what special needs parents are going through right now, with all of there services stopped and no end in sight.

We had zero communication from My Oldest Son’s  School all last week. Then on Saturday we received a packet in the mail size of a phone book, still with no directions. We lucked out that we got him on a good medication regiment for his autism right before this all happened, so his meltdowns have been kept under control for the most part. He likes to sleep late, so my wife gets My Other Two Sons work done in the morning, then we concentrate on him in the afternoon. 

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Seems like a pretty permanent solution to a very temporary problem...

This is the ultimate walk a mile in someone’s shoes before passing judgment on their decisions. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

Yea it’s a shame that Boces, Arc, Aspire and others have closed up. Those kids and parents need the help so much. On the bright side (sorta), all those aids, teachers, health care providers can work off the books for a family IF the family can afford to pay them whatever rate they negotiate. I have a friend who’s doing that right now. She has 3 clients (children) and does one on one work with them. Each kid gets her help 2-3 times a week for 2-4 hours.
It helps the kids, it helps the parents, and the under the table money helps my friend keep her bills paid and food on the table. Literally!

Edited by Zamboni

40 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

We had zero communication from My Oldest Son’s  School all last week. Then on Saturday we received a packet in the mail size of a phone book, still with no directions. We lucked out that we got him on a good medication regiment for his autism right before this all happened, so his meltdowns have been kept under control for the most part. He likes to sleep late, so my wife gets My Other Two Sons work done in the morning, then we concentrate on him in the afternoon. 

This is the ultimate walk a mile in someone’s shoes before passing judgment on their decisions. 

Wishing you all the strength you are going to need to get through this.?

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, bunomatic said:

Thanks for that. 

No problem. Your link was almost there. Haha. One more click, then copy n paste the web address Is all you needed. 
And yes, it was an interesting article. Thanks for sharing it. The more factual articles posted here, the better.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/22/2020 at 2:32 PM, spndnchz said:

Of all times for my modem to quit. Fml

That's what happened to me over the weekend.  I pre-ordered one from Office Max on Delaware Ave and had it in my hands an hour later.  Barely needed to interact with anyone.

6 hours ago, ubkev said:

Wife was just tested. We'll have the results in a week. She's had a fever for 7 days. Her doc said she's treating her as if she's positive for Covid-19. But my wife also knows her body. And she's positive that she has a kidney infection. I'm betting my wife is right. Or maybe I'm just hoping...

Blood work comes back tomorrow.

Praying.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, josie said:

In my nerd reading over the years the 1917 flu pandemic killed young able bodied people at a higher rate than the usual old/young demographic because of cytokine storm. Overdrive. A month or two ago I was telling a friend over lunch all about it because the name is so cool sounding (we had a weekly "let's get lunch and talk about what weird gross medical thing we read about" deal going). Sounds like some X-Men character. 

I really hope that warmer weather, ventilation, and open windows can help. Nothing worse than people crowded together in closed places for this sort of thing. Again, with 1917, some native american communities fared better than others as they would take a sick person, quarantine them in their own tent, leave the flaps open and continually keep incense or other herbs burning nearby (as per belief). The ventilation and proximity distance led to recovery, and less spread than the overcrowded hospitals in "civilization". But that illness was lightning fast. This one is so insidious because it's so slow to incubate.

As I said earlier, my great-grandmother lived through that. By God's mercy, she made it. On top of that, she wasn't Native American but a full-blooded Scot.

3 minutes ago, steveoath said:

UK told to stay at home. Lockdown beard competition anyone?

I've had a beard for the past few months, but MOL told me to keep it trimmed and presentable.

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I was forced to clean shave, I look certifibaly 14 years old 

Sounds like a good thing, no?

Also, how much hair will you be sporting if the barber shops are closed for two months?  I may have to invest in a Flowbee.

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

UK told to stay at home. Lockdown beard competition anyone?

I started growing my facial hair when I stopped going to work. So, in 6 or 8 months, I'll have a beard. I have great 5 o'clock shadow. It just never grows into anything. 

I figure with the barber shops closed, and no one to properly fade my hair then my face can get a bit scruffy. 

“Sometimes there is so much beauty in the world .. I feel like I can’t take it ...  and my heart is just .. going to cave in.”  Ricky Fitts.

Mrs. Neo is a public school Kindergarten teacher.  We have thirty years of memories of the goofy goober pants five year old she spends her day with. Oh, man, what a life.  What changes over thirty years!

Last week, her school district trained teachers to begin online lessons for stay at home students.  The teachers have IBM Think Pads, but almost none are remote presentation proficient.  For a week, she’s been learning how to source material, upload it, stage it, adjust screen shares, audio and video. She’s a boomer who uses our Mac for email, FaceBook and FaceTime.  In short, she’s a turn key end user, and not a tech savvy content provider.  COVID19 is here and the world is different, now.  Now!  Imagine the trepidation she felt going live, today.  No rehearsal, no practice.  Just her, a bunch of five year olds, and their helicopter parents.  Getting and keeping the attention of five year olds, in a goal oriented environment, is tough stuff even when the kids are in a familiar environment and you have the advantage of adult presence and room charisma.  Today was the web and she was a neophyte host.

One by one, little smiling faces popped up on her screen.  Wide excited eyes, giggles, dogs, brothers and sisters, and parents all appeared.  “Hi, Zack, Sarah.  Hello, Keri .. I love your bows!”. “Hi Mrs. Neo ... my cat got loose, I just had cereal, is this homeschooling, when are we coming back, is that your KITCHEN?”  Eighteen of twenty five students arrived.   It was time to start.  She said, “Okayyyyy ... let’s start our day, just like we always do.”

My wife picked up one of those $1.29 American Flags you buy at Walmart to take to the cemetery and stick in the ground on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, or the Fourth of July.  Holding it in her left hand, she placed her right hand over her heart.

”I pledge allegiance”, she said, alone.  “To the flag”, she continued, accompanied by five or six voices. “Of the United States of America,” the choir growing.

”AND TO THE REPUBLIC ...”

She stopped.  She had to.  Her lips quivered as she tried a few words until tears rolled down her cheeks.  Tears rolled down mine, too.  I took a deep breath.   The children went on, alone, and loud, “WITH LIBERTY, AND JUSTICE, FOR ALLLLLLLLL!”

She did it.  She grabbed them at the ten second mark.

I fear no virus.  Five year olds reminded me of family, community, country and God.

I can’t remember being prouder of her.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Maybe good news:

There is an experimental treatment that was put on hold from the H1N1 days and is being adapted for COVID-19.  For various reasons, we are almost certain that I had a mild case of COVID-19 in December.  I have volunteered for a blood draw which, assuming we are correct, should produce 5-10 shots for treatment or, if we get very lucky, up to 20 shots including prevention.  (Should be next week.)  If my theory is correct, everyone else on that floor (about 50 people) will be volunteering by the end of April.

Nothing like this has ever been tried with humans, but it is being accelerated in this emergency.  Updates if it goes through.

• Like (+1) 1