COVID-19

Indabuff

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

Easy boys. 

I know this might be a great place to vent right now. But let’s keep the junk in the politics thread. 

Exactly.

If I feel the need to vent, I'll do it on their official Facebook page. Not here. Not even on the Oval Office page.

Edit: I stand corrected. I did vent years ago. I even had something to say about California's Shelter In Place order. I only said that out of concern that trucks might be forced to shut down - only to scale back when others presented information to the contrary.

Edited by Crosschecking
addendum

I've noticed that traffic has dropped considerably. Even truck traffic. Even with the memo put out by corporate to follow the guidelines, they thanked us drivers for helping to keep the country fed.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

I've noticed that traffic has dropped considerably. Even truck traffic. Even with the memo put out by corporate to follow the guidelines, they thanked us drivers for helping to keep the country fed.

Saw a notice yesterday that the PA turnpike would be opening up rest stops that had been closed.  Thought that you'd said you have to drive that some.  If so, that should help; if not, at least it'll help your fellow truckers.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

Did you mention you haul poultry products?  I need some fresh wings for the deep fryer!

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Saw a notice yesterday that the PA turnpike would be opening up rest stops that had been closed.  Thought that you'd said you have to drive that some.  If so, that should help; if not, at least it'll help your fellow truckers.

Bad news travels fast. Trust me.

Oops. I should have read that closer. Sorry. I did notice that the other day. However, I think Wolf had every Welcome Center shut down.

7 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Did you mention you haul poultry products?  I need some fresh wings for the deep fryer!

If you want to follow me to Lewiston, Maine. That's where I'm heading.

Edited by Crosschecking
correction

The antibody angle is really interesting. And looks to be very important.

Krammer says he and his colleagues are already using their [antibody] test in their New York City hospital to better understand how quickly COVID-19 patients start to develop antibodies to the virus. In the future, it could also help identify recovered patients who could then donate their SARS-CoV-2 antibody-rich serum to help treat critically ill patients. Another key application, Krammer says, would be to identify people who have developed likely immunity to the virus. They might be able to treat patients safely or take on other front-line jobs during the pandemic.

Widespread antibody testing could also provide key data for efforts to model the course of the pandemic. Current predictions vary so widely, causing some scientists to question the need for severe containment methods such as lockdowns and social distancing. By indicating how much of the population is already immune because of mild infections, antibody data could offer a key to how fast the virus will continue to spread.

Such data could inform practical issues such as whether and how to reopen schools that have been closed. Relatively few cases have been diagnosed among children, but it isn’t clear whether that’s because they don’t get infected or because their infections are generally so mild that they go unnoticed. Testing children for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies should resolve that.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/new-blood-tests-antibodies-could-show-true-scale-coronavirus-pandemic

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Something I came across that might be helpful in terms of preventing serious issues if you end up getting it.  From what researchers are finding out, people who end up in the ICU/dead usually have an abnormal immune response by the body that releases massive amounts of inflammatory cytokines, especially IL-6 and the body essentially kills itself due to its own immune reaction to it.  Astaxanthin has been shown in their research/studies with people to help prevent this over-reaction...definitely not a cure but might be something worth looking into.  For $15 and with an exceedingly good safety profile its a hell of a lot cheaper than a few week stay in the ICU and/or cost of a funeral...

https://www.biospace.com/article/releases/cardax-releases-white-paper-on-the-potential-role-of-astaxanthin-in-the-treatment-of-coronavirus-disease/

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4

One of the worst parts of this ordeal is not being able to meet up together for church. Most people understand, but some are still complaining about it. Fortunately, many pastors did either live feeds from their studies or they put up videos on YouTube. The pastor of the church we've been visiting for the past two months posted a video, so my wife and I made the most of it.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

One of the worst parts of this ordeal is not being able to meet up together for church. Most people understand, but some are still complaining about it. Fortunately, many pastors did either live feeds from their studies or they put up videos on YouTube. The pastor of the church we've been visiting for the past two months posted a video, so my wife and I made the most of it.

Mrs. Neo and I “attended” yesterday on the web.  Our church live streamed and I screen mirrored an iPad to our TV.  I wore pajamas and drank coffee.

The church was empty except for the praise band.  Our minister was home with a camera and a slick production team moved seamlessly from him to the band and back.  It was odd and familiar at the same time.

One lifetime ...  the solemnity of Latin Mass to televised rock bands, pajamas and coffee.   Like a virus, change is exponential.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Mrs. Neo and I “attended” yesterday on the web.  Our church live streamed and I screen mirrored an iPad to our TV.  I wore pajamas and drank coffee.

The church was empty except for the praise band.  Our minister was home with a camera and a slick production team moved seamlessly from him to the band and back.  It was odd and familiar at the same time.

One lifetime ...  the solemnity of Latin Mass to televised rock bands, pajamas and coffee.   Like a virus, change is exponential.

The one we've been visiting is what some people would call "plain vanilla". No choir, a pianist, and organist, and we sing the old hymns. But, wow! The pastor is a very good teacher and expositor of Scripture.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Something I came across that might be helpful in terms of preventing serious issues if you end up getting it.  From what researchers are finding out, people who end up in the ICU/dead usually have an abnormal immune response by the body that releases massive amounts of inflammatory cytokines, especially IL-6 and the body essentially kills itself due to its own immune reaction to it.  Astaxanthin has been shown in their research/studies with people to help prevent this over-reaction...definitely not a cure but might be something worth looking into.  For $15 and with an exceedingly good safety profile its a hell of a lot cheaper than a few week stay in the ICU and/or cost of a funeral...

https://www.biospace.com/article/releases/cardax-releases-white-paper-on-the-potential-role-of-astaxanthin-in-the-treatment-of-coronavirus-disease/

"Cytokine storm." Damn, by the time this is over I'm going to be playing a doctor on SabreSpace.

I read a bit about this last night and wondered if those on immunosuppressive drugs would be protected against such a storm.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

In my nerd reading over the years the 1917 flu pandemic killed young able bodied people at a higher rate than the usual old/young demographic because of cytokine storm. Overdrive. A month or two ago I was telling a friend over lunch all about it because the name is so cool sounding (we had a weekly "let's get lunch and talk about what weird gross medical thing we read about" deal going). Sounds like some X-Men character. 

I really hope that warmer weather, ventilation, and open windows can help. Nothing worse than people crowded together in closed places for this sort of thing. Again, with 1917, some native american communities fared better than others as they would take a sick person, quarantine them in their own tent, leave the flaps open and continually keep incense or other herbs burning nearby (as per belief). The ventilation and proximity distance led to recovery, and less spread than the overcrowded hospitals in "civilization". But that illness was lightning fast. This one is so insidious because it's so slow to incubate.

Wife was just tested. We'll have the results in a week. She's had a fever for 7 days. Her doc said she's treating her as if she's positive for Covid-19. But my wife also knows her body. And she's positive that she has a kidney infection. I'm betting my wife is right. Or maybe I'm just hoping...

Blood work comes back tomorrow.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Wife was just tested. We'll have the results in a week. She's had a fever for 7 days. Her doc said she's treating her as if she's positive for Covid-19. But my wife also knows her body. And she's positive that she has a kidney infection. I'm betting my wife is right. Or maybe I'm just hoping...

Damn. Fingers crossed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, josie said:

In my nerd reading over the years the 1917 flu pandemic killed young able bodied people at a higher rate than the usual old/young demographic because of cytokine storm. Overdrive. A month or two ago I was telling a friend over lunch all about it because the name is so cool sounding (we had a weekly "let's get lunch and talk about what weird gross medical thing we read about" deal going). Sounds like some X-Men character. 

I really hope that warmer weather, ventilation, and open windows can help. Nothing worse than people crowded together in closed places for this sort of thing. Again, with 1917, some native american communities fared better than others as they would take a sick person, quarantine them in their own tent, leave the flaps open and continually keep incense or other herbs burning nearby (as per belief). The ventilation and proximity distance led to recovery, and less spread than the overcrowded hospitals in "civilization". But that illness was lightning fast. This one is so insidious because it's so slow to incubate.

I'm not sure it will...if warmer weather is the answer how is it spreading still in places like India, Pakistan and Africa where temps are well into the 90's right now in those places...How is still spreading in those Asian countries where the temps are always in the upper 80s like Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc?

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The antibody angle is really interesting. And looks to be very important.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/new-blood-tests-antibodies-could-show-true-scale-coronavirus-pandemic

I think it’s the money grab option. Avoiding the virus is near impossible and any implementation like this will be too slow to react. 

Just now, matter2003 said:

I'm not sure it will...if warmer weather is the answer how is it spreading still in places like India, Pakistan and Africa where temps are well into the 90's right now in those places...How is still spreading in those Asian countries where the temps are always in the upper 80s like Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc?

Given how close contact is high in many of those cultures and sanitation, etc is a step below- those entire countries not being overrun by now is proof that heat slows the transmission rate down drastically. 

19 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Ouch...our across the street neighbors were told they are presumed positive as they both have had fevers of 100-103 for over a week now and all the other symptoms, but they were told they ran out of test kits and because they don't have severe respiratory issues they won't be tested.  Needless to say I have been staying away from them ?

The other aspect of this is my clinic in Africa, all of the kids have been sent home (back to our orphanage) all at once and it has been quite a big handful to deal with. 

We also have a close friend trapped there dealing with the US embassy in Uganda, as they closed transit out the other day and all the flights were full that day. 

I have been working closely with the ministry of health in that region to give proper advice on treating this as well as the importance of isolation as much as possible. In their culture, living basically on top of each other is the norm, so it will be a difficult change, they also don't have the US government and its resources helping out like we have. 

If I could have it my way, I'd be down in Uganda now doing work, but Alas, for now I am here. 

• Like (+1) 2