COVID-19

Indabuff

20-54 is "younger adults"? OK. Admirably, I think officials are trying to somehow convince the truly young to take this seriously. It'll probably continue to fall on deaf ears.

---

This whole thing hit me pretty hard yesterday. I'm self-employed and can work from home, but I also have part-time jobs in a nursing home and an assisted living home. The latter jobs I love (I got them because the former job is empty, isolating and unfulfilling); I love the residents; they're the best, most rewarding, saddest, most frustrating jobs I've ever had. The idea of being there for the residents at a time like this, literally locking the patio doors at 9 p.m. to keep the zombies out, is so powerful to me. I want to be a hero, because honestly I don't feel like I've done anything truly great in my life. Truly important.

But... there's always a but. I have two chronic lung diseases, asthma, which hasn't been under great control, and sarcoidosis, which causes inflammation in the lungs. I do well with the sarcoidosis, but I'm on low-dose methotrexate for it, and that drug suppresses the immune system and makes me more vulnerable to serious infections. All of that puts me at high(er) risk of getting very sick from this virus and maybe even going to the big PA box in the sky, to sit next to Uncle Miltie.

What to do? There have been no confirmed cases around here. There are stories of people being sick and having been sick of late. Guess how many tests have been done in rural, poor McKean County, PA? As of yesterday, none. Zero, zilch, Zippo. I think it's here. The stress of worrying about getting it, surely compounded by consuming too much information, got to me yesterday. I asked my doctor what I should do, already knowing the answer. So now I'm off work and quarantined inside my house with strict orders to stay here 24/7 except for going outside by myself.

I feel some combination of relief, heartsickness and shame. Sabres, pandemic, depression, quarantine, loss of purpose in life. 2020, great year so far.

Edited by PASabreFan

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

20-54 is "younger adults"? OK. Admirably, I think officials are trying to somehow convince the truly young to take this seriously. It'll probably continue to fall on deaf ears.

Compared to most of the people up there at those press conferences each day, yeah, 54 is a young adult.  They may want to consider finding someone younger to throw up there.  I typically hate all the celebrity worship, but so many of these kids are so dumb that we may actually need to get a Kardashian up there with them.  That's the only thing they listen to these days.

Someone please feel free to replace that with a more relevant name.  I have no idea what they are watching now.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Compared to most of the people up there at those press conferences each day, yeah, 54 is a young adult.  They may want to consider finding someone younger to throw up there.  I typically hate all the celebrity worship, but so many of these kids are so dumb that we may actually need to get a Kardashian up there with them.  That's the only thing they listen to these days.

Someone please feel free to replace that with a more relevant name.  I have no idea what they are watching now.

I'd go with Doris Day, but that's just me.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

At 48 I have zero clue when my 15 and 11 year olds name the current celebrities. In a world where short social media snippets from unverified sources rules the day, especially for millennials, it didn't take very long for the concept that this is only a problem for the old and sick to go viral, pardon the pun.  Meanwhile, in the constantly evolving situation it seems like we are now seeing increased hospitilizations among younger people that was linked upthread, early data did seem to suggest that symptom severity correlates with viral dose received.  

2 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

At 48 I have zero clue when my 15 and 11 year olds name the current celebrities. In a world where short social media snippets from unverified sources rules the day, especially for millennials, it didn't take very long for the concept that this is only a problem for the old and sick to go viral, pardon the pun.  Meanwhile, in the constantly evolving situation it seems like we are now seeing increased hospitilizations among younger people that was linked upthread, early data did seem to suggest that symptom severity correlates with viral dose received.  

You are aware that 11-15 year olds are not Millennials correct?

Advice on the virus from a family member who is an experienced physician (although not an infectious disease doc):

I recommend taking Shitaaki  pill daily—this is a fungal extract that stimulates the immune system, including antiviral  activity.  Other fungal pills of Maitaki, Reishi or Turkey tail or a combination have this property.

Also -- @PASabreFan

-- my understanding is that Vitamin E supplements are good for the lungs, both for inflammation and for helping the lungs restore damaged tissue.

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Advice on the virus from a family member who is an experienced physician (although not an infectious disease doc)

I recommend taking Shitaaki  pill daily—this is a fungal extract that stimulates the immune system, including antiviral  activity.  Other fungal pills of Maitaki, Reishi or Turkey tail or a combination have this property.

Also -- @PASabreFan

-- my understanding is that Vitamin E supplements are good for the lungs, both for inflammation and for helping the lungs restore damaged tissue.

Thanks. As to the bolded, I do have tons of TP.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

---

This whole thing hit me pretty hard yesterday. I'm self-employed and can work from home, but I also have part-time jobs in a nursing home and an assisted living home. The latter jobs I love (I got them because the former job is empty, isolating and unfulfilling); I love the residents; they're the best, most rewarding, saddest, most frustrating jobs I've ever had. The idea of being there for the residents at a time like this, literally locking the patio doors at 9 p.m. to keep the zombies out, is so powerful to me. I want to be a hero, because honestly I don't feel like I've done anything truly great in my life. Truly important.

But... there's always a but. I have two chronic lung diseases, asthma, which hasn't been under great control, and sarcoidosis, which causes inflammation in the lungs. I do well with the sarcoidosis, but I'm on low-dose methotrexate for it, and that drug suppresses the immune system and makes me more vulnerable to serious infections. All of that puts me at high(er) risk of getting very sick from this virus and maybe even going to the big PA box in the sky, to sit next to Uncle Miltie.

What to do? There have been no confirmed cases around here. There are stories of people being sick and having been sick of late. Guess how many tests have been done in rural, poor McKean County, PA? As of yesterday, none. Zero, zilch, Zippo. I think it's here. The stress of worrying about getting it, surely compounded by consuming too much information, got to me yesterday. I asked my doctor what I should do, already knowing the answer. So now I'm off work and quarantined inside my house with strict orders to stay here 24/7 except for going outside by myself.

I feel some combination of relief, heartsickness and shame. Sabres, pandemic, depression, quarantine, loss of purpose in life. 2020, great year so far.

I hear you and am in quite a funk too. 

I work in a hospital and I am over 62yrs of age, have COPD, diabetes, and high blood pressure. The question enters my head nearly hourly.....should I self quarantine? Can't afford to, yet can't afford not to.

Then on top of all that, will I be doing any good because my wife also works at the hospital. Almost feel like a sacrificial lamb.

• Like (+1) 2

Latest news from my wife's hospital, if quarantine is necessary but no symptoms only 7 days quarantine because they are that short on staff... I assume negative test too but who knows... such bs... dont go to a hospital unless you break a leg or show symptoms and call a head of time... first for your own safety and second because of short staff.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Latest news from my wife's hospital, if quarantine is necessary but no symptoms only 7 days quarantine because they are that short on staff... I assume negative test too but who knows... such bs... dont go to a hospital unless you break a leg or show symptoms and call a head of time... first for your own safety and second because of short staff.

Only other thought is that working at a hospital is where you're needed the most (by your own admission?).

• Like (+1) 1

My wife works in a seniors home. Place is on full lockdown. No visitors including family. She’s tested for temperature before she goes in and if anything unusual sent home. They lost 11 residents last year in a two week span from the regular flu. Imagine being in a business where your customers drop dead on a regular basis. At approximately 5-6 grand a month thats not chump change. But with the aging population and the amount of seniors moving out here for the decent weather they are dying to get in so they fill the spots. I can’t imagine if this virus swept through a place like this. Seattles care home is a good example.

• Like (+1) 1

Serious question:  obviously going to a big, crowded party is against the new social distancing rules, but what about having another family over for dinner?  What about your kid having another kid over to hang out for a few hours in the afternoon?  What about having a friend over for a drink and a cigar?  Or walking the dog with a friend and his dog?

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

---

If you miss the company of some of the residents, is Skype an option?

Depression can be just as dangerous as the virus, and, if I understand correctly, can also compromise the immune system.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question:  obviously going to a big, crowded party is against the new social distancing rules, but what about having another family over for dinner?  What about your kid having another kid over to hang out for a few hours in the afternoon?  What about having a friend over for a drink and a cigar?  Or walking the dog with a friend and his dog?

I am having some friends over on Saturday. I can't just sit here with no live social interaction.  See above.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Woody can correct me if I'm interpreting his stuff wrong, but based on info from him and the science sources, this thing looks like it spreads the easiest through high volume direct contact from things like coughing, sneezing, etc. So I would say perhaps do your best to limit the chances of contacting the virus in those ways?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Personally, I would only do that last one.  Outside, not enclosed space, and neither of you would be touching each other’s stuff.

If you want a sober reminder about why social distancing is important, read about how Italians initially handled their social distancing and what their situation has now come to.

30 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

5C360FA0-FEB3-40B4-BC03-8FCD3DFB25FA.jpeg

46 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I hear you and am in quite a funk too. 

I work in a hospital and I am over 62yrs of age, have COPD, diabetes, and high blood pressure. The question enters my head nearly hourly.....should I self quarantine? Can't afford to, yet can't afford not to.

Then on top of all that, will I be doing any good because my wife also works at the hospital. Almost feel like a sacrificial lamb.

Fantastic. Scary, but fantastic.

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'd say play date, no. Because kids aren't going to distance themselves, wash their hands, etc. Two families having dinner, how do you practically distance everyone? One on one is a lot easier.

One thing that has impressed me during this ***** show is the scientific community going hard in the paint on this.  

I keep imagining a bunch of these people in a lab furiously working around the clock blaring Metallica Battery on repeat.  Keep on keeping on you brilliant mofos.  

• Like (+1) 5