COVID-19

Indabuff

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I saw a big influx in the hospital in January/February of patients with flu like symptoms, very classic influenza but yet tested negative and it was just attributed to a general viral illness. 

With zero tangible proof, just my own personal opinion, I do believe it has been here since about Christmas. 

It's part of the reason why I still feel the overreaction is a bit more than needed. 

But, it's all an evolving thing 

For sure.

It'll just be interesting to see if the lack of reaction by leadership months ago, in order to quash over-reaction, ends up creating an over-reaction that is far worse.

10 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Agark d4rk,  folks here are wondering if a lot of us had it in early January... unknown virus, upper respiratory, short-term low grade fever, sinus infection that lasted 4-8 weeks with dry cough... who knows.

I had that.

Just now, shrader said:

Anyone who recently had the flu is now going to think it was this instead.  It's always interesting to see the paths speculation follows during a large scale news story.

This is my company right now. Apparently half my office has had it ? 

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

They can think that all they want as long they don't think they're now immune and can do whatever the hell they want.

The dynamic here is about 80% people who are reasonably concerned but not panicked, and then about 20% who are acting like total sociopaths. 

There is definitely a sub-set of the US population (that does not follow any particular political or ideological bounds) that thinks this is funny and is enjoying poking the concerned people, which is really unkind.

Edited by darksabre

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The dynamic here is about 80% people who are reasonably concerned but not panicked, and then about 20% who are acting like total sociopaths. 

There is definitely a sub-set of the US population (that does not follow any particular political or ideological bounds) that thinks this is funny and is enjoying poking the concerned people, which is really unkind.

I'm actually surprised how well people have responded around here as a whole.  Usually I can hear traffic sounds off in the distance, but that's completely gone.  Yeah, that's a completely unscientific look at it, but that tells me that people as a whole really are staying in.

The one thing that must be rough though is that one family just moved into the neighborhood today.  So they have the movers, guys who they probably don't know a thing about, unloading the truck and probably sweating all over everything.  You have to move when you have to move, but the timing is definitely not ideal for them.

Just now, shrader said:

I'm actually surprised how well people have responded around here as a whole.  Usually I can hear traffic sounds off in the distance, but that's completely gone.  Yeah, that's a completely unscientific look at it, but that tells me that people as a whole really are staying in.

The one thing that must be rough though is that one family just moved into the neighborhood today.  So they have the movers, guys who they probably don't know a thing about, unloading the truck and probably sweating all over everything.  You have to move when you have to move, but the timing is definitely not ideal for them.

It's freaky deaky quiet here today. We're right on Sheridan Drive and there's a lot less traffic noise outside. The office buildings are pretty much cleared out. I think it's our company's two suites and maybe one or two other companies running bare bones staff. And Homeland Security has a couple suites here.

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

Is it possible that COVID-19 has been here longer than we think, and that some deaths previously attributed to the regular flu were actually from this virus?

I had something a month ago that was odd. Mild sore throat, quick low-grade fever, sniffles, came and went very fast. But I was left with a productive cough, a little wheezing/chest congestion and lots of nasal mucus. You'd think cold followed by lung involvement/asthma worsening. But the fever part of it seemed unusual. I've never had a cold and a fever — I didn't know whether to eat or starve.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I had something a month ago that was odd. Mild sore throat, quick low-grade fever, sniffles, came and went very fast. But I was left with a productive cough, a little wheezing/chest congestion and lots of nasal mucus. You'd think cold followed by lung involvement/asthma worsening. But the fever part of it seemed unusual. I've never had a cold and a fever — I didn't know whether to eat or starve.

Wow.  Same symptoms for me but mine started in December.  I'm 80% back but still have lingering symptoms.  I don't know WTF to believe.  Certainly not the information we're getting from the government.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

This is my company right now. Apparently half my office has had it ? 

There are potential tests on the horizon that will detect if you have generated an immune response to covid19 which will tell you if you were exposed.  The tests detect IgM (early response) and IgG (later response).  I consulted for this company awhile ago on developing a similar test for a different application.  There are also other small companies out there developing rapid diagnostic tests for antibody response.

https://www.ncbiotech.org/news/biomedomics-seeks-fda-ok-covid-19-rapid-diagnostic

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

There are potential tests on the horizon that will detect if you have generated an immune response to covid19 which will tell you if you were exposed.  The tests detect IgM (early response) and IgG (later response).  I consulted for this company awhile ago on developing a similar test for a different application.  There are also other small companies out there developing rapid diagnostic tests for antibody response.

https://www.ncbiotech.org/news/biomedomics-seeks-fda-ok-covid-19-rapid-diagnostic

https://www.wsj.com/articles/do-antibody-testing-to-understand-covid-19-11584378570

This would be great. 1. If people are immune from getting the virus a second time, anyone who tests positive for the antibodies could be used on the front lines of the "war" without fear. 2. I would chill the hell out if I indeed have already had it.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

Interesting...

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

Wow.  Same symptoms for me but mine started in December.  I'm 80% back but still have lingering symptoms.  I don't know WTF to believe.  Certainly not the information we're getting from the government.

People getting a random sickness during the winter?  It's almost certainly a conspiracy!

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

People getting a random sickness during the winter?  It's almost certainly a conspiracy!

Come on Shrader, I enjoy your posts, but It was stated as a hoax less than a month ago, now it's a pandemic with more people dying, schools and restaurants closing, employees having to work from home, etc...  I'm just relaying statements from the government that have been inconsistent.  I'm not trying to make a political statement, just stating the verifiable facts.

Edited by Tondas