COVID-19

Indabuff

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There's so much misinformation and stupid in this thread is it mind-boggling. At least I haven't read another debate about what Peer- Review means so that's a plus. Just remember kids, even though Governments around the world are involved in this topic we can't talk about or mention the Federal Government shortfalls of the US. That's is ...

lt5wv-EWS0C3NXZ1T-Full-Image_GalleryBack

Sure you can. I've mentioned numerous times how the CDC, a government agency, dropped the ball right here in this thread.

Talking with people at work (one of the last days before we all work from home) and I am convinced the whole office had covid-19 back in mid January. We had what we all assumed was a very contagious nasty cold/flu that would last for 2-3 weeks. It spread to near everyone on the floor over 7 days and almost all of their family. Of course no one was tested as nobody was talking about Covid-19 being in the usa

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

From a diagnostic perspective it is absolutely true that the world never saw this before. A new assay specific to this virus had to be built from the ground up. Those kits are similar in that they are based on the same PCR platform, but the test itself has to pick up covid19 and not other coronavirus. That's a brand new test with a brand new set of challenges and hurdles.

Ah some of you know more about this than me, but do find it strange South-Korea got their ***** together so fast.

Now Montenegro has leadership I can appreciate, closed borders 2 weeks in advance of the rest of Europe.   Everyone coming from certain risk countries like Italy / Switzerland / slovenia got put in Quarantine back then.   0 infections there so far.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Ah some of you know more about this than me, but do find it strange South-Korea got their ***** together so fast.

No; that seems like a country that would get its stuff together quickly.  It's geographically small, fairly wealthy, and socially aware, too, and those things help.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No; that seems like a country that would get its stuff together quickly.  It's geographically small, fairly wealthy, and socially aware, too, and those things help.

Maybe they seem to have something else that we don't right now, such as common sense. The fact that people are being reminded by their respective magistrates to step up their hygiene practices says plenty about us - and not in a good way

Speaking of which, does anyone here remember an old Far Side comic from decades ago where people were sitting at a restaurant and some dude walks out of the restroom and a huge sign flashes in bright lights and big letters, "DIDN'T WASH HANDS"?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

Maybe they seem to have something else that we don't right now, such as common sense. The fact that people are being reminded by their respective magistrates to step up their hygiene practices says plenty about us - and not in a good way

Speaking of which, does anyone here remember an old Far Side comic from decades ago where people were sitting at a restaurant and some dude walks out of the restroom and a huge sign flashes in bright lights and big letters, "DIDN'T WASH HANDS"?

I don't remember that particular Far Side comic, but I had a fun experience in Rite Aid yesterday trying to buy a bottle of hand soap.  You know, the kind with a pump that sits next to your bathroom sink.  I'm not stocking up; I simply was out of soap, so time to get another bottle.

The clerk informed me that they were out of soap.  I gave her a strange look I guess, and said, ok, I'll just use my shower soap to wash my hands.  At which point she clarified:  They had soap, just not the antibacterial kind.  Regular hand soap was available, but people had hoarded the antibacterial soap.

This ties back to your point about common sense.  Antibacterial soap is designed to kill BACTERIA NOT VIRUSES!

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Farside was awesome

YES, IT WAS!!! Gary Larson's humor was like Neil Peart's drumming. No one could compare to him in the world of comic strips. Others tried, but they fell far short.

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Ps he's back up writing again https://www.thefarside.com/2020/03/17/1

I've seen that one before.

31 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't remember that particular Far Side comic, but I had a fun experience in Rite Aid yesterday trying to buy a bottle of hand soap.  You know, the kind with a pump that sits next to your bathroom sink.  I'm not stocking up; I simply was out of soap, so time to get another bottle.

The clerk informed me that they were out of soap.  I gave her a strange look I guess, and said, ok, I'll just use my shower soap to wash my hands.  At which point she clarified:  They had soap, just not the antibacterial kind.  Regular hand soap was available, but people had hoarded the antibacterial soap.

This ties back to your point about common sense.  Antibacterial soap is designed to kill BACTERIA NOT VIRUSES!

So you (not you, Eleven) mean to tell the people that you bought all of that stuff and yet you had no idea just how much the virus would impact the world? I find your version of events very hard to believe. Shame on you!!!

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/487711-tennessee-man-who-stockpiled-hand-sanitizer-donates-17700

Edited by Crosschecking
addendum

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Now Montenegro has leadership I can appreciate, closed borders 2 weeks in advance of the rest of Europe.   Everyone coming from certain risk countries like Italy / Switzerland / slovenia got put in Quarantine back then.   0 infections there so far.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/16/opinions/south-korea-italy-coronavirus-survivability-sepkowitz/index.html

Opinion piece on CNN, albeit the opinion of an infectious disease expert at Sloan Kettering...thinks the biggest driver of SK vs. Italy (for example) is demographics. 

Having spent plenty of time in SK and know some folks there quite well I'd say they do take leadership direction more seriously than other cultures may. They are also organized as sh*t there. Not quite Japan levels but more so than the US. 

Edited by Sakman

2 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Talking with people at work (one of the last days before we all work from home) and I am convinced the whole office had covid-19 back in mid January. We had what we all assumed was a very contagious nasty cold/flu that would last for 2-3 weeks. It spread to near everyone on the floor over 7 days and almost all of their family. Of course no one was tested as nobody was talking about Covid-19 being in the usa

Any of those folks end up in ICU? Any deaths? 

If you say "yes" then maybe something's there. If not, probably the flu. 

If anyone who got sick in January subsequently gets confirmed positive for COVID-19, it's of course even less likely that was it in January.

Unless they got a mutated strain a second time, which appears to be under discussion in China (two stains of the virus with different impacts, but not confirmed yet). 

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Over here more believe the Virus would have been released in China to cripple their economy and not vice versa. ?

Many of them are in fact, interesting reads Huck. Something I find myself asking over and over again is why do these global pandemics seem to consistently appear from out of the Wuhan to Hong Kong central China Corridor since 2003, yet, before that year, there is nothing I can find on these type of virus's on any serious note. To myself in any event, that is sending red flags up all over the place in my mind. I'm not saying these aren't random events, but in all of these cases, there is some circumstantial evidence to warrant further investigation of the situation. Something's not adding up here IMHO.